£8-9k sporty car with better fuel consumption than RX8?

Soldato
You'll struggle to get an E46 M3 for this budget or a 350z. Unless you mean an E36 M3, which could be a money pit....like an Rx8.

They're not money pits, the running costs are high and if you go in with your eyes open it is to be expected.

I was just making a statement that if the Rx8 is too much money to run...then rule out the E36 M3 (and the other suggestions).

Associate
Can get a nice 2.5i Z4 for that sort of money. £9k is just edging into the 3.0i territory too.

I get 30-33mpg out of mine, but I'm mainly out of town. You'll still get 25 in town in them unless you boot it between lights all the time.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;16157382 said:
MG Midget? etc. Absolutely sports cars but you didn't buy them for Lotus Elise style driving thrills thats for sure.

I don't know how good they were compared to the competition in the 1960's when they were released...

Man of Honour
You'll still get 25 in town in them unless you boot it between lights all the time.

Used the Z4 for my commute all last week.

20mpg.

It's just daft to quote blanket 'town' economy figures. I could drive around town all day with the engine warm and get 30mpg or I could do normal person driving of turning it on from cold, driving 5 miles and parking at the office which yeilded an average of 20mpg..

Caporegime
A Sports Car is a two seater car, usually open top and doesn't have to be particularly powerful.

This is a Sports Car:

MGB.jpg

So is this:

thTW077-L.jpg

Soldato
Given the budget and requirement it's hard to find a better car than the Honda S2000 I guess, I think the engine is a bit ...marmite though, then again that goes for th RX8 even more so I think.

Soldato
I considered buying an RX8 and like yourself love the looks of them. I ended up going for the Mk1 Audi TT instead for the following reasons:

- The RX8 felt slower than the TT and had to be really ragged to get anything out of it
- £1000 year cheaper on fuel (12k miles 19 mpg v 29 mpg)
- Risk of engine flooding on short journeys (a problem for me as my drive requires frequently moving one car off/on to get the other car out).
- Selling on. I have had offers to buy the TT off me for what I paid for it from a private dealer 9 months ago. In black with black leather it is quite a desirable car. A lot of people are put off by the RX8 so it seems to be harder to sell
- The TT comfortably remaps to 270bhp, putting it in another league in terms of performance against the RX8
- The TT felt a nicer place to be in terms of build quality and interior cabin

You are however going to be looking at a fairly high milage 02/03 plate for 9k.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You drive 5 miles, if I lived that close to work I'd ride my push bike!

Good for you.

I have no desire to arrive at work wearing lycra and requiring a shower, not to mention taking 4 times as long to complete the mostly uphill journey. Not when I've got a perfectly good car to use.

Soldato
I swapped my 2006 RX8 for a 2007 Focus ST last week.

Had the RX8 about 8/9 months, it was an excellent car to drive, but after a few months the mpg and having to top up the oil every 2 weeks became a little tiring.

Also the engine whine when cruising at 70mph and having to change down to 4th to gain any speed rapidly is also something I'm pleased to get rid of :)

For those negatives though I'm still glad I owned the car and don't regret buying it in the first place. I had loads of fun in the summer :D

Back
Top Bottom