8 miles of 12500 year old rock paintings found in the amazon

Caporegime
I wonder what they used to get the elevation to paint on the rocks higher up, can't imagine they had the technology for scaffolding or ladders 12,000 years ago

Also why are our ancestors so rubbish at art prior to the ancient Sumerian/Greek/Egytians ?
Aliens and little health and safety laws probably

Associate
Topography likely to have changed at lot but look at one image, they are still about 15 feet high at one point, from bottom image to the top. Lashed together ladders as seen in the images are highly likely, in fact X formation ladder steps would be easier to lash together with bark than the modern straight style as well.

Associate
This is utterly fascinating to me, sorry for double post, but is anyone else seeing animal pens here?

This must have some kind of architectural, animal husbandry and hunting library for the people.

There's numerous rectangular wall type X grids that if stuffed with mud or clay would be strong walls for housing.

There's numerous parallel line images that are structurally very strong EG the straight line waveform type within two straight lines is very strong.

I'm seeing multiple animal pens with opening either end to shepherd livestock into.

The rectangle images with multi ordered dots inside, could they be some form of human census?

This is some real life Indiana Jones **** for me, this better not turn out to be a hoax.

Caporegime
It's pretty amazing that drawings on rock can survive 12,500 years intact when we have 200 yr old statues that have been turned into unrecognisable blobs due to erosion by the weather. The photos don't even appear to be inside a cave?

Caporegime
It's pretty amazing that drawings on rock can survive 12,500 years intact when we have 200 yr old statues that have been turned into unrecognisable blobs due to erosion by the weather. The photos don't even appear to be inside a cave?
I'm assuming modern statues in the last few hundred years weren't chiselled from stone but poured in to a mould.

even the Romans had water proof concrete though that could set underwater, modern stuff is just built at cost and not to last

Man of Honour
https://www.demilked.com/prehistoric-paintings-found-in-amazonia/

They were discovered last year but kept a secret to film a documentary on the discovery for channel 4, called Jungle Mystery: Lost Kingdoms of the Amazon.

I watched this last week and I didn't see anything about them, I must have been asleep :)
Last weeks was concentrating on old villages that were all connected together and using technology they could see them from the sky,
The woman who does the program is dead fit.

Associate
A couple of weeks old but found this article that supports the tower images theory, they're suggesting also an early form of bungee jumping like the land divers of Pentecost Island, though I still think it was X frame ladders or X frame latticework leant against the rock rather than actual free standing towers with platforms. They also likely climbed a lot of nearby trees to get access.

https://www.theguardian.com/science...s-rock-art-discovered-in-remote-amazon-forest

States that some drawings are so high that you need drones to see them, drawn with pieces of ochre found nearby that is apparently extremely enduring.

Soldato
This is fascinating! I did see the first episode where they used LIDAR to scan parts of the Amazon floor and it revealed lots of hidden ancient settlements that would've never been able to have been discovered before - without stripping the forest even more than it is now.

How many gems like this remain yet to be discovered! Really exciting stuff

Man of Honour
Would the topography have changed much? Could have had ice up to that level or not far of or something?

Can't see them climbing up to paint stuff that none could see.

I can, because Homo Sapiens consistently produces oddballs. If nothing else, it would be seen by the other oddballs who climbed up there to paint. But just the doing of it would be enough for some people. "Because it was there" is enough of a reason to some people. "Because people said it couldn't be done" is another.

Or we could go down the default archaeologist route and classify it as "ceremonial" :) Which it might have been. Maybe they considered it something their gods would see.

Man of Honour
This is fascinating! I did see the first episode where they used LIDAR to scan parts of the Amazon floor and it revealed lots of hidden ancient settlements that would've never been able to have been discovered before - without stripping the forest even more than it is now.

It was great how they proved the tribe who were going to be removed now have a case that it is indigenous land.

Soldato
just been looking at the pics in the OP link again, and cracked up over this:
F6NOgYr.jpg
apparently they're unleashing giant wasps into the world.

Killer Bee's were a bit different back then!

It was great how they proved the tribe who were going to be removed now have a case that it is indigenous land.

It really was. However when the 'chief' started crying it made me realise how heart breaking the situation actually is. These people have lived off of these lands for hundreds, if not thousands, of years and people are trying to kick them off what is literally theirs. It saddens me that there aren't enough people fighting for these guys.

Man of Honour
Two minute warning - 2nd episode on CH4 now of

Lost Kingdoms of the Amazon
Jungle Mystery: In Colombia, Ella Al-Shamahi explores the extraordinary, newly uncovered tale of the nomadic tribe who built a great Amazon civilisation over 500 years ago. (Ep2)

Soldato
I managed to watch this sooner that I expected. That rock is vast, it's much taller than I expected. Really impressive and there's another 16 of them painted :)

S0Gt1qX.jpg
F24cjlL.jpg

What a great job to be discovering these and mapping them too.

Back
Top Bottom