• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8400 turbo on all cores?

Permabanned
my 1150 system died two weeks ago and i am in the middle of building a new one, it was going to be based of the AMD 1600.

how ever i am now very interested in the 8400 at the price point, with older none k CPU's you could set all cores to run max turbo at all times. is this still the case? and can the 8400 maintain max turbo over all 6 cores?

Soldato
There are many reviews out there that show the 8400 runs at 4ghz when 1 core is being used 3.9ghz when 2-4 cores are being used and 3.8ghz when all cores are loaded.

Just to add it can do this fine on stock cooler.

Associate
DIdnt linus tech tips do a vid on this very thing and posited that the low stock speed (2.8) was na indicator that the chip would struggle to reach the rated speeds (3.8ghz) when all cores were in use. Borne out by the fact that intel no longer quotes all core turbo speeds... Shame as this looked to be the goto chip from my 2500k...ymmv howvever..

Soldato
DIdnt linus tech tips do a vid on this very thing and posited that the low stock speed (2.8) was na indicator that the chip would struggle to reach the rated speeds (3.8ghz) when all cores were in use. Borne out by the fact that intel no longer quotes all core turbo speeds... Shame as this looked to be the goto chip from my 2500k...ymmv howvever..

It might still be in time. Once the mobile, Xeon and higher binned Coffee lake chips have filled the market quality parts might be filter down to the 8400.

I think the trick to the 8400 will be finding the right batch in 6-12 months.

Soldato
What do you speculate that the i5 8500 and i5 8600 will boost to on all cores?

Well looking at the 7000 series,I would expect a Core i5 8500 to have a higher base clockspeed and probably another 200MHZ on the boost clock,ie,so maybe something like 3.0GHZ/3.2GHZ~4.0GHZ,and the Core i5 8600 would probably be a slightly downclocked Core i5 8600K,so maybe something like 3.2GHZ/3.4GHZ~4.2GHZ,at least if we look at the previous generation SKUs and the difference between the CFL Core i7 SKUs.

Soldato
I'm unsure why people are of the idea that the 8400's will not turbo boost to 3.8GHz on all cores for every chip that is labelled as one by Intel. The current 14nm process is very mature now, and the K chips are hitting 5.0GHz easily, the and the previous generation 7400/7500/7600 had no issues running at their respective boost speeds.

People question the reason why they stopped publishing all-core boost clocks, like it was some sort of conspiracy that there must be issues with the silicon, I'd be more inclined to say that they are trying to keep the 65w advertised TDP on these 6 cores chips, and also don't want to advertise just how fast they actually can be, reverse marketing in effect so chips that are better are still chosen as an option. People look at the base clock of 2.8GHz and think, well that's pants, but if they know it's going to happily run at 3.8GHz all day long, why spend the extra $50 on the i5 8600 which has a 3.4GHz base clock, and 4.0GHz all core turbo? (i5 8600 numbers are just estimates)

I'd buy, and eat a hat, if anyone's i5 8400 doesn't hit the 3.8GHz all core turbo, after all it boosts up to 4.0GHz on a single core, so all the cores need to do at least that speed, at one time or another.

Soldato
I'm unsure why people are of the idea that the 8400's will not turbo boost to 3.8GHz on all cores for every chip that is labelled as one by Intel. The current 14nm process is very mature now, and the K chips are hitting 5.0GHz easily, the and the previous generation 7400/7500/7600 had no issues running at their respective boost speeds.

People question the reason why they stopped publishing all-core boost clocks, like it was some sort of conspiracy that there must be issues with the silicon, I'd be more inclined to say that they are trying to keep the 65w advertised TDP on these 6 cores chips, and also don't want to advertise just how fast they actually can be, reverse marketing in effect so chips that are better are still chosen as an option. People look at the base clock of 2.8GHz and think, well that's pants, but if they know it's going to happily run at 3.8GHz all day long, why spend the extra $50 on the i5 8600 which has a 3.4GHz base clock, and 4.0GHz all core turbo? (i5 8600 numbers are just estimates)

I'd buy, and eat a hat, if anyone's i5 8400 doesn't hit the 3.8GHz all core turbo, after all it boosts up to 4.0GHz on a single core, so all the cores need to do at least that speed, at one time or another.

100% this. Its the tin foil hat guys out there again.

Caporegime
Going to be building an i5-8400 build next friday for my nephew so i will let you know! Managed to pick up one of the few left in stock for £170 which was fortunate. A lot of retailers bumping the price up it seems if stock is available.

Associate
Well going by the reviews and other people's testimonies I'd say the i5 8400 is the golden chip right now.

Looking at benchmarks it doesn't seem to warrant the extra cash to go with a K series CPU. For example, the price of the i5 8600k with a decent air cooler and a GTX 1070 is going to be too similar to the price of an i5 8400 and a GTX 1080, even if you do decide to replace the stock cooler with a modest aftermarket air cooler.

Back
Top Bottom