• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8800 GTX Electrical Noise Under Load

Soldato
OP
lay-z-boy said:
Yes i have the same thing on my card too, nothing to worry about.

Unless it blows up.

Not worried just annoying. My ears are just latched on to the sound. If my rig was air cooled I sure I wouldn't notice it. Why is it never straight forward. Other than that I'm very impressed with the speed and IQ.

Anyone else noticed the colours are more vivid and not washed out now? More like ATI dare I say.

Caporegime
The Asgard said:
Not worried just annoying. My ears are just latched on to the sound. If my rig was air cooled I sure I wouldn't notice it. Why is it never straight forward. Other than that I'm very impressed with the speed and IQ.

Anyone else noticed the colours are more vivid and not washed out now? More like ATI dare I say.

Yeah the image quality is awsome.

Oblivion looks amazing.Its now running as it should.

Snappy gameplay outdoors now. :)

Soldato
Would you say the IQ has improved compared to previous generations of Geforce cards? Only reason I generally stick with ATI is because the Image Quality is slightly better.

Appreciate your comments.

Thanks.

Soldato
OP
Nelly said:
Would you say the IQ has improved compared to previous generations of Geforce cards? Only reason I generally stick with ATI is because the Image Quality is slightly better.

Appreciate your comments.

Thanks.

I would say a lot better. I have been playing NWN2 on my GTO's and the difference is amazing. Better, Clearer colours and textures. Text looks crisper. Its like moving to Sky HD from normal Sky. Really is that good. If you look at my trust you can see I have owned X1900's and this card is far better.

Very impressed

Caporegime
The Asgard said:
I would say a lot better. I have been playing NWN2 on my GTO's and the difference is amazing. Better, Clearer colours and textures. Text looks crisper. Its like moving to Sky HD from normal Sky. Really is that good. If you look at my trust you can see I have owned X1900's and this card is far better.

Have to agree with the asgard on this one.
The image quality is way better than the GX2

Soldato
The Asgard said:

Very impressed
Thats fantastic news, I always looked at sample pics from games etc as well as self proof that Image Quality was slightly superior with ATI cards, so much so I just coudnt handle this fact, on this info you have given I may just switch back to Nvidia. Knowing ATI though they probally have something decent up their sleeve. . .

Whats the temps like idle & load for the 8800 GTX ? Are the fans audioble? compare it too the 7800 series?

Thanks for the info.

Associate
Is this the same thing as when if you hold the left mouse button down and you can hear a buzz while its held down and you move a scroll bar say on a webpage?

I've noticed this on a few different setups i've had, nforce2 and with a 6800GT and this setup does it too?

Same thing?

Sorta like a high low pitched whine, if that makes sense, very quiet but you can hear it with the case open quite easily.

Soldato
Old thunderbird systems used to have this sound when heavuily overclocked (high current drain), its cause is the voltage regulation circuit.
Usual when its at its limit.

Might go away when you switch boards.

Soldato
OP
ernysmuntz said:
Is this the same thing as when if you hold the left mouse button down and you can hear a buzz while its held down and you move a scroll bar say on a webpage?

I've noticed this on a few different setups i've had, nforce2 and with a 6800GT and this setup does it too?

Same thing?

Sorta like a high low pitched whine, if that makes sense, very quiet but you can hear it with the case open quite easily.

It only makes the sound like you describe in games. The pich changes depending on what your doing. eg Spin the camera. Must be the power circuitry making the noise as the load changes.

Soldato
OP
Nelly said:
Thats fantastic news, I always looked at sample pics from games etc as well as self proof that Image Quality was slightly superior with ATI cards, so much so I just coudnt handle this fact, on this info you have given I may just switch back to Nvidia. Knowing ATI though they probally have something decent up their sleeve. . .

Whats the temps like idle & load for the 8800 GTX ? Are the fans audioble? compare it too the 7800 series?

Thanks for the info.

Mine is idling at 62'c in Windows and 82'c while playing NWN2. The fan is quieter than the 7900 GTX which is amazing. Can't here a thing even underload. Silent apart from this damn electrical noise.

Soldato
OP
** Help **

Can anyone else confirm this noise from their 8800GTX?

One person has got the same problem. I would appreciate the 8800 people having a listen to their card while in windows and then running in 3D. If its a general problem I'll keep the card otherwise I'll send it back for a replacement.

Thanks

Associate
The Asgard said:
I have a nice selection of 6600 processors to try. Week 29A&B Week 31 and what ever comes Monday. Currently running at 3.6 at default volts with my Week 29A so I'm hoping for some 4G+ goodness come Monday.

Could I put in an offer to buy the second best cpu you find kind sir. :D I've looking for a week 29B for ages and have gotten nowhere. :o I'll pay you a very good price for any 6600 that can easily do 3.6Ghz dual prime stable. :)

Back
Top Bottom