8pack Supernova - build log!

Associate
OP
Update time. Time to show off the main compartment, all tubed up!

Starting with the pass throughs above the motherboard
3y2dcwZ.jpg

and the second piece
JHQNpSc.jpg
EK really need to sort out their blocks so the ports line up!

Next up is drilling the holes for the GPU tubing
ACpjFnw.jpg

The more accurate measurements are on the underside of the panel
dI44jhH.jpg

And installed in the case
cGkjCq5.jpg

The main piece of the case needed some filing for a flush fit
c8hkmlI.jpg

Very pleased with the end result
Kk7ShsC.jpg

The underside sticks out about 10mm for thicker cases
8vwbmgr.jpg

Tubed up
WQaMIKo.jpg
Their's still some of the tubing natural curve here to be sorted later.

The final pair of pass throughs for the reservoir
l5zfWEE.jpg
Those are pencil marks on the case, not scratches. And the camera makes them look a lot worse.

Final money shot
B8x5NK9.jpg

Stay tuned for the next update that'll be tubing up the lower compartment ready for the fill up!

Associate
That quick grip drill and step bit looks so awesome. I really need a step/unibit myself. Love the tubing routes!

Shawy, you think a unibit on a hand drill will work? I can't really mount sections of the TX10 case for drilling over a table as you did lol.

Associate
OP
Looking fantastic :)

Is there any reason you don't use acrylic tubing?

Long story short; I'm not allowed. Yet.

Like I mentioned in a previous post, there's so much that goes on behind the scenes with these builds that we can't just up and change them. When the 8pack range gets refreshed for Haswell-E, there are a number of us really pushing for an acrylic build!

I want to rage so much right now at so many things that, need to be fixed aesthetically :D

Please list them. Post like that mean nothing on their own.

That quick grip drill and step bit looks so awesome. I really need a step/unibit myself. Love the tubing routes!

Shawy, you think a unibit on a hand drill will work? I can't really mount sections of the TX10 case for drilling over a table as you did lol.

If you can get access, yes. The drill bits can cause a lot of vibrations though so best to do it in an empty case, or take it apart like we did.

Associate

Like I mentioned in a previous post, there's so much that goes on behind the scenes with these builds that we can't just up and change them. When the 8pack range gets refreshed for Haswell-E, there are a number of us really pushing for an acrylic build!

Good to hear :)

Sgarrista
Commissario

Please list them. Post like that mean nothing on their own.

If you can get access, yes. The drill bits can cause a lot of vibrations though so best to do it in an empty case, or take it apart like we did.

1) Back plates for the titans

2) Your tubing is at non-specific angles, all tubing should be at 90 degree or 45 degree angles only

3) Some of your tubing lengths are slightly too long causing curvature, they should be straight damnit!

4) A cover for that SLI bridge

5) Mixing fittings?!! Argh you should be strung up for this sin :)

I think thats it for now :D

Soldato
Any reasons why you've not gone for QD3s? Quick disconnects are a god send. They're expensive sure, but the QD3s are quite non-intrusive compared to the old fittings. And on a build of this calibre they should be mandatory :D.

If someone was buying a Nova system, I guess they'd be able to spec them if they wanted?

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
Any reasons why you've not gone for QD3s?
The target market for these systems isn't typically enthusiasts who will want to have a play. The average customer isn't even going to know what a QD3 is.

I think it's fair to say that the vast majority of people who know what a QD3 is would opt to build the system for themselves.

In the meantime
2rOM7S1.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
It's your job to tell them what one is surely given the target audience :p

Surely it's much more preferable to be able to quick disconnect their components knowing they're unlikely to damage anything when say removing the GPUs? Saves the customer a lot of hassle especially outside of warranty.

I can't imagine having a loop without them, and I'd imagine an end user would be comfortable knowing they can easily remove certain components

Associate
OP
1) Back plates for the titans

2) Your tubing is at non-specific angles, all tubing should be at 90 degree or 45 degree angles only

3) Some of your tubing lengths are slightly too long causing curvature, they should be straight damnit!

4) A cover for that SLI bridge

5) Mixing fittings?!! Argh you should be strung up for this sin :)

I think thats it for now :D

1) Completely agree. Unfortunately, we have no stock and there's no ETA on them atm so it was out of my hands at least.

2) Already mentioned about the EK blocks not lining up, all of the other visible tubing runs perfectly vertically.

3) It's not that they're too long, it's the natural curvature of the tubing from being on a roll from production. I've been working on training it straight though ready for shipping.

4) We're looking into that for the refresh Haswell-E systems. 8pack is awesome at overclocking and the build side of things kinda takes a back seat, but now there's more people, including myself, who are hardcore enthusiasts (and perfectionists) having more and more input into systems and some of the ideas being thrown around currently are like no other system out there.

5) The different colour fittings will make sense after the next update. ;)

Any reasons why you've not gone for QD3s? Quick disconnects are a god send. They're expensive sure, but the QD3s are quite non-intrusive compared to the old fittings. And on a build of this calibre they should be mandatory :D.

If someone was buying a Nova system, I guess they'd be able to spec them if they wanted?

You can spec them if you'd like. Personally, I'll never use them. There's just no need for them. It's easy enough to drain the system and change parts out without them.

Any reason why you didn't go for the EK monoblock???

For this build, it would look a bit boring with just the 2 tubes.. But I've put forward some ideas to use them in the refresh. ;)

With this being a complete build log do we get to see 8pack overclocking it as well?

Yes, hopefully!

Back
Top Bottom