8tb NAS HD

Associate
Need a bigger drive so I've been looking at 2 drives

8tb WD 80EFAX
8tb ST8000VN0022

Both similar prices but I've noticed a few places saying the WE is end of life, so does that mean WD are bringing out a newer model red drive?

Can't make my mind up on which one to get.

Associate
OP
Got 2 4tb reds in at the moment myself the Seagate does look ok, £70 for an extra 2tb over the 8tb red seems fine to me.

If there is a WD rep on here hope he/she can answer my other question regarding the eol on these drives.

Soldato
Got 2 4tb reds in at the moment myself the Seagate does look ok, £70 for an extra 2tb over the 8tb red seems fine to me.

If there is a WD rep on here hope he/she can answer my other question regarding the eol on these drives.

WD80EFZX is the replacement for that drive and off top of my head i cant remember the difference.

Last edited:
Permabanned
ONly difference I am aware of between the two is that the Seagate is a bit faster but the WD is a bit quieter. Depends what you want them for and where they will be located as to whether that makes any difference. Also bear in mind that Seagate are a better match for Synology, giving you a little more monitoring and information.

Associate
I'll second that the seagate's aren't the quietest. Could never hear my WD reds but you can hear the seagate drives.
Doesn't faze me as it sits in my little office that I rarely use.

Back
Top Bottom