1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£900,000 to paint a plane?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by garnett, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Ryan-3

Sgarrista

If it was some horse-drawn carriage turning up in a colony, where the mud-covered locals would be in awe of this fabulous splendour, then I'm sure it would fit their thinking behind it perfectly.

Perfect timing to get this stuff done, but I'm hardly expecting some paint job to paint over any cracks they're hoping to mend. As the bumbling fool would say himself, if you want trade deals, then get on with it.

2. Minusorange

Soldato

Irony of sticking a British flag on an aircraft from a European company

I wonder if Brexists are going to want a rename of the "Euro"Fighter Typhoon as well :D

I also wonder if they'll get the colours right this time unlike the "blue" passport :p

3. Maccapacca

Tea

No problem no sense

4. Eurofighter

Wise Guy

Will end up back like the passports

5. inogen

Mobster

I'm looking forward to seeing it emblazoned in red, white and blue, doing it's other job of mid-air refuelling. Perhaps it can moonlight for the Red Arrows?

6. sigma

Suspended

It’s probably been outsourced to a company that’s never painted anything before :D

7. Freakbro

Capodecina

Good point, they probably run ferries! ;)

8. garnett

Soldato

"No one mentioned" is what he claimed. Not the forensic accounting you seem to feel entitled to.

9. Zefan

Don

I think you mean "No one mentioned how much it costs to renew the grey paintjob." as in, this job. Not another job. I'm not, nor do I feel entitled to anything :confused:

Oh it absolutely is, in the past at least. Now things are generally done on a target/deliverable as opposed to cost plus basis.

10. EdwardTeach

Mobster

It is going to be embarrassing watching ministers flying around in this thing and getting shafted trying to sign trade deals. I am just picturing Boris flying to somewhere like India or China, where we already have a bad rep due to empire, and he arrives in a plane with a massive british flag, subtext "I'm a *******!"

Best to leave the plane on the runway in Brexitland, if we want to be taken seriously anywhere.

Maybe it could be used to fly in the chlorinated chicken?

11. jamoor

Sgarrista

Most other countries have planes dedicated to shuttling around VIPs and we have a plane that shared with the Military for military duties as well as well as transporting the PM.

I think we have spent the money wisely.

12. Mushy Peas

Capodecina

I can get tins of paint down The Range for about a tenner a pop, how many would I need to paint an aircraft?

Just wondering if the contract is open to offers. I reckon I could do the job for less than 900k.

13. Hades

Capodecina

Completely agree. Considering the high profile people who will be using the aircraft I would imaging it's also not a typical paint but something with very anti-radar properties. It should also be kept in mind that tight security would need to be in place during the painting to ensure no bugs or trackers are smuggled onboard. So the cost will probably include those security measures as well. This is not like taking your car into the local body shop.

14. TrannyBill

Associate

I'm not so sure about the anti-radar paint thing.
    But even if that were the case, surely the bog standard grey livery would be the same already.

15. Nasher

Capodecina

I bet its not 900k for just paint. Just repainting it as part of 900k being spent on it. The press love to gloss over the details.

16. Raikiri

Capodecina

Don't gloss it too, that's another 300k.

17. Hades

Capodecina

I see what you did thar!

18. Diddums

Capodecina

Where's Corbyn anyway? Isn't he supposed to be telling us that we could feed a billion illegal immigrants and send them to riot training for that money?

19. Six6siX

Mobster

Wonder which tory pal has just started a business painting planes.

20. Maccy

Commissario

Think you must've missed the recent memo about a new Labour leader?