9700K Overclocking Check

Soldato
Hi,

Just built a new machine with the following specification and wanting to get it running rock solid @ 5.0GZ. Firstly the specification is as follows;

Aorus Master Z390, i7 9700k, 16GB Teamgroup Dark Pro, Corsair H150 AIO cooler.

Currently and following some online guides I have set the following BIOS settings;

Enhanced Multicore Performance -> Disabled
CPU Clock Ratio -> 50
Extreme Memory Profile -> Profile 1
Uncore Ratio -> 47
C-states -> Disabled
Voltage Optimisation -> Disabled
CPU LLC -> Turbo
CPU Vcore Current Protection -> Extreme
PWM Phase Control -> eXm Perf
CPU Vcore -> 1.3v
VT-d -> Disabled
Internal Graphics -> Disabled

Idle temps seem to be around the 32/33 deg C mark and it appears all cores are running at the desired clock frequency. A quick (11 min) run of Prime95 returns the following results;

XPLoPZq.jpg

Hows my temps etc looking? Is there room for improvement or have I overlooked any settings?

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
OP
44 degrees during prime95?

Or you didn't post load temps?

Oh 89 whoops lol

Looks good to me, bit hot but stable. Exact same setup as me just different ram.

Yeah sorry, the snip was taken once the test had been halted.

Ideally id like to have it running cooler, am wondering if ive done a poor job of applying the thermal compound. I removed the OEM stuff and applied Thermal Grizzly before fitting.

Caporegime
It's weird I had this exact same dilemma when I built mine.
I went air cooling noctua d15.
So redoing the paste was a giant pain in the ass. But I also did it.
I left mine at 5ghz very similar vcore to yours.

I don't think it's bad temps, it's acceptable. I'll never be using mine full stress all cores so im not major worried.
It runs about <60deg under gaming load which im im happy with.
I do have a hell of a lot of airflow in my case. But I am about to change a few fans and im im sure the temps going to go up 10deg... At least.

Redo the paste, you will never be happy until you do. It will nag you always.

Soldato
OP
It's weird I had this exact same dilemma when I built mine.
I went air cooling noctua d15.
So redoing the paste was a giant pain in the ass. But I also did it.
I left mine at 5ghz very similar vcore to yours.

I don't think it's bad temps, it's acceptable. I'll never be using mine full stress all cores so im not major worried.
It runs about <60deg under gaming load which im im happy with.
I do have a hell of a lot of airflow in my case. But I am about to change a few fans and im im sure the temps going to go up 10deg... At least.

Redo the paste, you will never be happy until you do. It will nag you always.

I have 3 more fans and a braided cable set turning up on Tuesday so fitting those will also give me an opportunity to re-paste. Hopefully I don't make it any worse, pasting isn't my forte!

Caporegime
Ouch... I used the Paste that came with the Noctua.
My mate crushed an AMD Barton chip back in the day when IHS spreaders were rare/unused.
Hope that isnt your issue.

Last edited:
Associate
Ok thanks. I’ve got some AS5 coming to try instead of the TG. Will try reducing the llc in the mean time and report findings.

Also, how have you got the rad configured? Top or front mounted and push or pull?

Check out my signature, there's link to my build thread. Everythings there, setup, config, temps, stress tests used.

Soldato
OP
Check out my signature, there's link to my build thread. Everythings there, setup, config, temps, stress tests used.

Awesome, will take a look this evening.

Am wondering if id be better changing the mounting location for my rad. At the moment I have it top mounted with the fans pushing air up through it.

Soldato
OP
Looks great, but I'd recommend more thorough/longer testing to confirm that this LLC level is sufficient ;)

What would you say is a suitable time to run? Also it’s worth mentioning those prime temps are with avx disabled through notepad, should I enable it again or is avx pointless when it comes to gaming? (Rig is primarily for gaming)

Associate
Do a prime test : Custom 12x12 FFT in place.

Der8auer said you can do it for an hour. And if the system stay stable than it's gonna run anything gaming wise.

I did 2 hours. Just to be sure ;)

Don't worry about gaming and AVX, there are some games that run it, I think Assassins Creed Origins and couple more, but they don't do heavy avx computation and should be alright.

P.S. I ran test on prime 26.6 the one without AVX included.

Soldato
OP
Do a prime test : Custom 12x12 FFT in place.

Der8auer said you can do it for an hour. And if the system stay stable than it's gonna run anything gaming wise.

I did 2 hours. Just to be sure ;)

Don't worry about gaming and AVX, there are some games that run it, I think Assassins Creed Origins and couple more, but they don't do heavy avx computation and should be alright.

P.S. I ran test on prime 26.6 the one without AVX included.

Thanks for all this. Got prime running again now, will check in a few hours! Finger crossed it stays cool and stable.

Back
Top Bottom