1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kryonaut abrasive??

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by PowerPie5000, Aug 10, 2018.

1. area51

Gangster

My thoughts exactly.think they have been a bit bum with where they scrape there source of paste from! Mean while i'l stick with my ever so expensive paste! £7 a tub mind plenty left to do brakes on many cars yet!
    Copper slip!. Decent temps also.

2. Distracted

Wise Guy

I noticed this myself very recently on a noctua d15s. I couldn't believe that the kryonaut could be the cause so I thought I must have scuffed it somehow but nope, the marks are only where the paste has been and scuffing the cold plate of a mounted heatsink would be a neat feat.

3. B1scu1T

Gangster

Is this something isolated to Kryonaut?

I'm sure there was some etching on my Black Rock last time I had it off but figured it was just the way it was. I have never used Kryonaut, but AS5, MX4, NT-H1 and perhaps a couple others.

Might have to take it off again and have a look.

4. Distracted

Wise Guy

I've only seen it with kryonaut. I've never had the issue with paste in the past.

5. MontesJr

Associate

I've only used AS5 in the last 10 years and I never had this problem. I also think that this Kryonaut paste I have right now is a bit thick and less oily than AS5. Anyway, very disappointed by this paste. Close to 0 difference compared to AS5.

6. flea.rider

Hitman

wow ? I have used ceramic and as5 .. first time using Kryonaut and it has enabled me to lose a rad (1 triple 120 rather than 2) temps are 8-12c lower but then I'm on water

7. Teh_Next

Hitman

Temps are 12 degrees lower just with a thermal paste and a whole radiator down? You've probably just reseated your cpu block better:p

8. MontesJr

Associate

I was also thinking that my Silverstone Heligon HE01 is maybe a bad cpu cooler, i have it for almost 7 years and maybe its was not really made for 180W+ heat dissipation. (Although it says on website 300W). I was thinking to buy a R1 Ultimate or a D15.
    Or should i try to repaste it using the pea method???.....aaaaaaagh...so many choices. I also was thinking of sanding the cpu IHS and cooler to 1200 sandpaper.

9. D1craig

Wise Guy

What are the implications for cpu rma after sending them these marked cpus?

10. area51

Gangster

Of course there is a "Difference"! your pocket is a lot lighter!!:D

11. MontesJr

Associate

It's been three days since my email to those idiots from Thermal-Grizzly and still no reply from them. What a bunch of ********!

12. michty_me

Wise Guy

Thats a bit poor. Where are they based?
    I might try some Noctua stuff next.

13. MontesJr

Associate

They are based in Germany apparently. And yes, i also would like to try this new Noctua paste, the NT-H2. Still, i read that Kryonaut is better for high watt output than any other paste.

14. michty_me

Wise Guy

It could well be but not sure if I fancy trying out now, especially after no support from them.

15. area51

Gangster

Seems about on par with many places now quick to take your case even give you a lift/push you to cash point!
    But dam slow if anything isn't right and isn't just pc bits had it with some spanish Drongos over some fishing gear bits the Designed/made(F'd up)

16. MontesJr

Associate

Hmmm..i seems that after a second email complaining about the lack of support and the fact that i will expose to social networks my problem and their lack of support i received an answer in less than 8h...

"Hello Andrei,
    i already forwarded your problem to our engineering team. We should reply to you in the next 24-48 hours.

Best regards,
    Jannik Froehlich - Thermal Grizzly Support"

How about that????

17. michty_me

Wise Guy

Hopefully they can get to the bottom of it then. They will probably want your tube back.

18. MontesJr

Associate

Just as a status update, i will examine the paste on a Scanning Electron Microscope with Energy Dispersive X-ray spectroscopy, we will get to the bottom of this. I was contacted by Thermal Grizzly support and we will be working together to see what is wrong with the tube that i bought.

19. sxshax

Associate

I have the same too. Googled, and found this forum. Do not know what further info I can provide.
    Used Arctic MX4 for my Noctua NH D15S cooler with my Ryzen 2600, no scratches.
    Bought a 9900k last week, migrated the Noctua over to my 9900k, bought Kryonaut. Reseated cooler a few times before starting up, because --- ITX case. No scratches.

Started up, load tested, temps were bad, 100deg during load tests. Reseated my cooler again. Unmounted my cooler, when I wiped the paste off with my 99.9% iso propyl alcohol with a microfibre cloth. BAD scratches.

Could it be due to heat?

20. MontesJr

Associate

Unfortunately it can not be from heat...maybe you didn't clean the paste to see the scratches when you reseated the cooler. More likely they were there.