9700k overvolting and high temps - How do I stop it?

Soldato
I did suggest you set a Vcore of 1.2v (for example) rather then leave absolutely everything on Auto. Did you try that? On Auto your voltage is spiking to around 1.37-1.39v which would easily explain the high temps.

To be clear, set 1.2v* Vcore, and Adaptive, and test.

* You may need more than 1.2v to maintain those clocks.

At least all cores now seem to be hitting 5.1? Which was an issue last time? Can you confirm that?

Associate
OP
I did suggest you set a Vcore of 1.2v (for example) rather then leave absolutely everything on Auto. Did you try that? On Auto your voltage is spiking to around 1.37-1.39v which would easily explain the high temps.

To be clear, set 1.2v* Vcore, and Adaptive, and test.

* You may need more than 1.2v to maintain those clocks.

At least all cores now seem to be hitting 5.1? Which was an issue last time? Can you confirm that?

Hi,

Tried a bunch of stuff, managed to get fixed working @ 1.325 for 5.1ghz, 1.275 for 5.0ghz, and also adaptive @ 0.025, however adaptive seems to run cooler and c-states run more often, but maybe I'm just imagining that one.
LLC seems to be the key, using turbo to minimize vdroop and prevent any big voltage spikes.
Cinebench is fine to run, temps get to around 80c max. however with prime, still getting massive temp spikes, and also workers stopping and instant thermal throttling once it really kicks in, even with avx on.
AVX is still being weird though, it seems to have my cpu permenently running at 4.8ghz when doing nothing in windows, with the occasional jump to 5.1 here and there.

With MCE on/off doesn't make a difference to how avx is working, and my google fu isn't turning up any definitive answers on it.

As for the temps issue....
I may just not have a good chip I guess, although why I have only just noticed this now I don't know. Has been running fine since christmas until recently.

EDIT: This my explain the AVX issue https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocki...out_avx_offset_with_gigabyte_z390_ud/eautlus/

Associate
OP
The above is using blend of all options in prime 95.

5ghz oc, adaptive voltage with +0.000
LLC power saving.
C states on.
AVX off.

No failures this time at least. Maybe I was just pushing it too much at 5.1ghz.
Those temps are crazy though....

Soldato
Using CPU-z what is the voltage going to the CPU when it is being stressed by Prime and running at 5ghz.?
Is that voltage stable or does it fluctuate.?

With temps like that at 5Ghz then it is not going to keep at that speed without throttling, but you know that.

What do you mean by AVX off, it is either auto or a numeric value .?

Associate
OP
Using CPU-z what is the voltage going to the CPU when it is being stressed by Prime and running at 5ghz.?
Is that voltage stable or does it fluctuate.?

With temps like that at 5Ghz then it is not going to keep at that speed without throttling, but you know that.

What do you mean by AVX off, it is either auto or a numeric value .?

The voltage fluctuates slightly, but will usually hang around the 1.23 - 1.27 mark:

Note this is using the best setup I have found so far for stability when using prime 95 as a stability test.

Internal AC/DC LLC : power saving
CPU Vcore LLC : low
Adaptive voltage : 1.200 normal / +0.020 adaptive.
C states all enabled.
Intel speed shift enabled.
Multi core enhancement : auto

Avx seems to have no impact, as soon as prime95 kicks in heavily the CPU begins to thermal throttle.

I have also noticed the temps fluctuate quite a bit when just in windows ranging from 33c - 60c.

I have an old asetek aio that i am going to put back in. As I really cant see why I am getting these results with those voltages!

Any other combination of settings I have tried are either not stable or introduce way more voltage than I am comfortable with.

Edit: AVX is either auto or a numeric value.

Soldato
I have read of a number of people who simply avoid using Prime with their 9xxx CPU's. I don't bother with my 9900k.
My dynamic Vid is set to -0.45v and the LLC at low. That seems to offer 1.296 steady at 5Ghz for my 9900k.
I leave AVX to auto, otherwise it generally gimps the CPU.

If you have that low voltage under load your temps are higher than I would have expected. I'm surprised that 0.20 added to your adaptive equates to 1.23 - 1.27v, thought that it would be higher than that.

Have you used CPU-z like I asked, it is said to report voltages for the CPU quite accurately.

Associate
OP
I have read of a number of people who simply avoid using Prime with their 9xxx CPU's. I don't bother with my 9900k.
My dynamic Vid is set to -0.45v and the LLC at low. That seems to offer 1.296 steady at 5Ghz for my 9900k.
I leave AVX to auto, otherwise it generally gimps the CPU.

If you have that low voltage under load your temps are higher than I would have expected. I'm surprised that 0.20 added to your adaptive equates to 1.23 - 1.27v, thought that it would be higher than that.

Have you used CPU-z like I asked, it is said to report voltages for the CPU quite accurately.

Yes I have used CPU-Z.
I will test again and confirm tonight.

Associate
OP
Use and leave open CPU-z whilst running Intel Burn Test v2. Let that loop whilst you watch for voltage fluctuations within CPU-z, cross check that with the values you are reading withing HW Info.

Have you a link for the DL for that?
I have heard that it can really stress things to breaking point... which I dont want to do.

Currently trying realbench, as it has been suggested as more of a "real world usage" benchmark, and all seems fine, if somewhat warm.

Will be getting the old asetek 360 aio hooked up tomorrow to see if that solves the heat issue.

The only thing I can think of after this is delliding and applying the heatsink straight onto the die?

Ed79BcO.png
1aac401e-f918-43b2-80c4-e305e3e3ae4e

Last edited:
Associate
OP
That is pretty toasty at 4.8ghz. But then again look at the max voltage, around 1.34v.does it need that at 4.8ghz..?

That is with an avx of 2 on the 5ghz overclock.
I used your setting of -0.045 adaptive.
Low LLC.
Uncore at 4.7.
C states on or off doesn't matter.
Voltage is weird as hell, will try reducing it further tonight.

What could be wrong here?
Bad chip?
Bios being wonky?

Soldato
That is with an avx of 2 on the 5ghz overclock.
I used your setting of -0.045 adaptive.
Low LLC.
Uncore at 4.7.
C states on or off doesn't matter.
Voltage is weird as hell, will try reducing it further tonight.

What could be wrong here?
Bad chip?
Bios being wonky?

Ok but I thought that it was 4.8Ghz as that shows in the CPU-z.

It would be easier if Gigabyte had used 1,2,3,4,5 etc for their LLC control. In theory you should be able to use turbo and then use the offset to regulate the overall voltages. The turbo setting should allow pretty tight voltage regulation, but I have not found that to be the case.
If you watch CPU-z running at the same time as you are just running Windows in general you will see it fluctuate from around 800mhz to your full speed. But look at the voltages, there is a lag between those and the speed it is running at. That might no matter much but I also wonder how accurate the voltages are when they are reported.
The temps are different when viewed in Smart Fan 5 advanced mode, where you can set your fan profiles for the CPU.

Why are you using an AVX offset...? To me that just neuters the CPU unnecessarily, unless I'mm missing something here.

For example I run Cities Skylines with an offset of 1 and get all the cores at 4.9ghz even though I use 5ghz. With an offset of 0 I get....

20190714222054-1.jpg

so why bother with an AVX offset...?

I have just gone to -0.05v to lower my overall full load voltages. For me it is still a work in progress, but my temps are better than yours.

What is your ambient room temp, mine is 20c.

Associate
OP
Warm!!! Havent measured but I'm guessing it's around 20 - 22c in this weather at the moment.

I've also tried turbo myself but it shoots voltage up way to high from my testing so far.

Fixed voltage may be the way to go but it gets even warmer with that on, but with less fluctuation in voltage.

EDIT: AVX offset is only on to limit thermal throttling in benchmarks. I will turn it off once I've figured out what's going on.

Soldato
But why the AVX offset..?

ok read your reason from your edit.

I prefer to have that set to 0 and then work from there. It should not be thermally throttling, mine used to, if you get the voltages and the cooling sorted.

Associate
OP
But why the AVX offset..?

ok read your reason from your edit.

I prefer to have that set to 0 and then work from there. It should not be thermally throttling, mine used to, if you get the voltages and the cooling sorted.

I've read somewhere that vcore LLC at normal is the most stable so I'll try that tonight.

Associate
OP
Update:

I have finally found a fixed voltage & LLC combination that works:

1.295 & LLC high

Highest vcore has been 1.284 so far.

Prime has package temps around 90c after half an hour of stress testing, no cores have throttled and no errors.

So it seems that adaptive has been the cause all along, temps and volts are much steadier with this setting. Been a nightmare to find this combination of settings as no matter what I did with fixed I was getting bsod or crashing in p95.

I have also however changed the aio to another older 360 asetek, but before I tested with fixed, I was getting similar results on adaptive with it. Will test for another hour, and refit the alphacool aio tomorrow again and see if temps are similar to my current using fixed core.

Soldato
Excellent result for you.

So rather than put Normal and then your adaptive offset instead you place 1.295v as your voltage and then High as the LLC.?

Does that still do the voltage when the CPU is at a lower speed.?

That is a good find, might try that myself.

Associate
OP
Excellent result for you.

So rather than put Normal and then your adaptive offset instead you place 1.295v as your voltage and then High as the LLC.?

Does that still do the voltage when the CPU is at a lower speed.?

That is a good find, might try that myself.

Voltage still runs higher but it will downclock...

PROBLEM THOUGH: Went to make a brew and came back and had BSOD :(

Soldato
mmmmm there is supposed to be the adaptive method that you have tried . Then the offset method to apply an offset voltage to the auto settings. That might be the one to use rather than a manual one you are doing now.?
Not sure that I would like to put a high voltage into the CPU when it is idling.
Not clear how to do the offset version tho.
Saw a YT video and the person said that they are different, the adaptive and offset method of adding voltage.

Around the 6mins 50sec part.

If your OC is at 5ghz then try 4.9. At 90c you do not have a lot of headroom temperature wise.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom