• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
if they admit its a "fault" then legally they could be made to replace the cards
they cant admit blame it puts them in a very bad position

if they admit its a "fault" then legally they could be made to replace the cards
they cant admit blame it puts them in a very bad position

IMO it ain't no fault. It was deliberately done to save coins. The fact they knew exactly what it was and have tried to explain it away says it all.

Edit. At least when AMD got totally caught with their pants down over Crossfire they didn't come out blowing smoke. Just apologised, promised a fix and then implemented it.

IMO it ain't no fault. It was deliberately done to save coins. The fact they knew exactly what it was and have tried to explain it away says it all.

maybe yes
it could also be argued the memory is not running at the speed advertised
that could get messy

So they're malicious?

They're just a corporation. A business, and this is what businesses do to make money.

Look at people's reaction to the 9x0 series FFS. People selling their 780s, 290s etc just to have one. It's called delirium.

Right from the start I knew full well what 9x0 was. It was a repeat of 6x0. Mid range cards being passed off with over sized coolers and sold at high end prices. I paid £350 or more for my first 670. Looking at how it was built? it was worth half that.

People thought the 970, at its price point, was too good to be true.

Well no excrement, Sherlock, it was.

maybe yes
it could also be argued the memory is not running at the speed advertised
that could get messy

I think people are getting confused over this, and exactly what's happening. The memory will all be clocked to the same speed, you can do that yourself. It's how the GPU core accesses it that is causing this problem.

If that's at a hardware level (which I think it's pretty much a given now that it is) then there will be no fix.

You've basically got a card that can only really use 3.5gb well.

I think people are getting confused over this, and exactly what's happening. The memory will all be clocked to the same speed, you can do that yourself. It's how the GPU core accesses it that is causing this problem.

If that's at a hardware level (which I think it's pretty much a given now that it is) then there will be no fix.

You've basically got a card that can only really use 3.5gb well.

ur right yeh that wouldnt stand up very well

If they really knew about it and simply decided to release their product without saying anything, they're just a bunch of massive cocks. What's the point of outfitting a card with 4gb vram if it doesn't even work as intended? Were they hoping that no one notices? That's just false advertising. I splashed out for the card hoping for just a tiny bit of future-proofing and now this happens. The 970 was my first nvidia card in years and, if this is their definition of "high end", probably my last.

If they really knew about it and simply decided to release their product without saying anything, they're just a bunch of massive cocks.

Hey man, you said it. IMO? if it was something they did not know about they would have made a statement to say "We really don't understand why this is happening and are looking into it".

But no. Instead they come along and tell you exactly why it's happening, because basically that's how the 970 uses its VRAM. They then post some benchmarks showing that it's not much worse than a 980....

What's the point of outfitting a card with 4gb vram if it doesn't even work as intended? Were they hoping that no one notices? That's just false advertising. I splashed out for the card hoping for just a tiny bit of future-proofing and now this happens. The 970 was my first nvidia card in years and, if this is their definition of "high end", probably my last.

What's the point of putting on, say, a 7990's box 6gb VRAM ! when we all know that it's really 3+3gb VRAM and you can only use 3gb of it because the other 3gb is just there to make the card run?

It's called marketing my friend. And once you understand that you'd be just as cynical and mistrusting as I am !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom