• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

980ti upgrade

Associate
Hi All,
First time posting here!
I have a 980ti that is on its way out. It's been a great card since I got it in early 2016 but need to look at replacing it.
My Mobo is a Asus Z370-P with a i7-8700K. have a 750W PSU as well.

The 3060ti is often recommended but its only 2GB more than my 980ti and seems a little poor in that respect. I think a 4000 series maybe too much but when it comes to AMD I dont have any experience with their cards - I have no allegiance.
I am concerned about bottle necking or getting a GPU that is the wrong PCI type

Gaming wise I play 4X - stellaris etc. don't really do FPS but am trying out Baulder's Gate and Elden ring.
Budget ~£500-600 - I cant get the VAT off so that's a bonus
Thanks in advance for any help or tips.

Associate
Best GPU's in your budget both in terms of performance and bang for buck are the 7900 GRE, then the 4070 Super if you prefer the green team
Though both are total overkill if you mainly play 4x games

These are pretty good deals

Last edited:
Man of Honour
For 4K, I'd get the 7900 GRE. A little underpowered for 4K in the very latest / most demanding games, but it is still a huge upgrade on the 980 Ti.

While RX 7900 GRE is fundamentally a card targeted at 1440p gaming where it shines with excellent FPS, it definitely has the horsepower for 4K gaming, too, in many titles, even without upscaling. At 4K maximum settings you'll be quite close to 60 FPS in those games, which means 60+ is in reach with slightly reduced details. Another approach is to enable FSR upscaling, which renders the game at a lower than native resolution and intelligently upscales the image for a minimal loss in image quality. FSR works well and is supported in many games, which makes the technology easy to use.

Associate
Hi All,
First time posting here!
I have a 980ti that is on its way out. It's been a great card since I got it in early 2016 but need to look at replacing it.
My Mobo is a Asus Z370-P with a i7-8700K. have a 750W PSU as well.

The 3060ti is often recommended but its only 2GB more than my 980ti and seems a little poor in that respect. I think a 4000 series maybe too much but when it comes to AMD I dont have any experience with their cards - I have no allegiance.
I am concerned about bottle necking or getting a GPU that is the wrong PCI type

Gaming wise I play 4X - stellaris etc. don't really do FPS but am trying out Baulder's Gate and Elden ring.
Budget ~£500-600 - I cant get the VAT off so that's a bonus
Thanks in advance for any help or tips.
What resolution and refresh is your monitor?

Soldato

My niece is playing BG3 and I have upgraded her PC from a Titan X (basically a 980 Ti with 12 GB VRAM) to a 2080 Ti and she is very pleased at the performance improvement. Elden Ring apparently recommends 8 GB of VRAM, so more is better and you are right to be concerned.

Associate
Other way around, although his cpu will still be bottlenecking him a fair bit.

For 4K, I'd get the 7900 GRE. A little underpowered for 4K in the very latest / most demanding games, but it is still a huge upgrade on the 980 Ti.

Unless I'm missing something, OP is referring to 4X (i.e. strategy) gaming, not 4k?

Soldato
Other way around, although his cpu will still be bottlenecking him a fair bit.

As mentioned by Trojan, I think yourself and a couple of others are confusing 4X and 4K.

A 4X game is sometimes referred to as a grand strategy title, so things like Civilization etc.

4X games absolutely do benefit from a strong CPU even at 4K, especially in later rounds. Anything made by Paradox very much benefits from an X3D CPU in fact, such as the aforementioned Stellaris.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
definitely the 7900GRE for £510
it's fighting against the 4070 super, yes you do lose in ray-tracing performance and cuda
but for 80 notes less, worth the tradeoff imo (unless you need the above)

Associate
I've made the same mistake before, by assuming it was a typo...

@cbester
7900GRE is definitely the best GPU for that budget (coming from a 7900XT owner), but I'd probably go with a platform (CPU/mobo/RAM) upgrade for those sort of games:

- 5700xt or 5800x3d, 32/64GB* and a b550 board (plus nvme if not already on that)
- AM5 - 7600(X), 32GB and b650 (or 7800x3d/7900x if you can stretch the budget a bit)

980ti, while old, can probably still handle those games ok if you're willing to turn a few settings down.

(*64GB ideally as from what I know, some strategy games like CitiesXL can exceed 40GB with mods)

Soldato
If I was mainly playing 4X/grand strat games I'd go for something like this over a 7900GRE, especially if you're a fan of Paradox developed games.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £636.91 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

Associate
If I was mainly playing 4X/grand strat games I'd go for something like this over a 7900GRE, especially if you're a fan of Paradox developed games.
Didn't even consider trying to fit platform AND a GPU in that budget, especially with AM5... Yeah, that'd be a huge upgrade (with good future upgrade potential)!

Last edited:
Soldato
Didn't even consider trying to fit platform AND a GPU in that budget, especially with AM5... Yeah, that'd be a huge upgrade (with good future upgrade potential)!
Just about doable, you could come under budget if going AM4 or an older gen Intel option but given how much some 4X like X3d cache I figured giving an upgrade path to one on a current platform was an idea.

Back
Top Bottom