A couple of quick questions HD playback?

Associate
Pretty much any computer will play hd videos nowadays, you don't need any special cables or cards at all, onboard graphics is fine as the cpu decodes the video not the gpu.

My P4 3.0GHz can just about play 720P using CoreAVC (not with just ffdshow) if I make sure nothing else is running the time, preferably straight after a fresh restart.

I expect this to change when upgrading RAM and gfx card though. Currently have 2GB Kingston and a Matrox P750 128MB so it's not that much of a surprise...

But yeah any modern, dual core (and probably even single) should probably be able to.

Associate
OP
Well form what i was reading around this forum it seemed the best idea to get a hd graphics card but am unsure of which one to get as my budget is not that much and anything else i would need for 1080p playback?

Soldato
Thats probably because the original post asked for recomendations of a new gfx card

Sorry man, but if you read the OP's original post, you could tell he was not certain about anything, regarding HD material. Yet, post upon post, recommended that he spend money on a new video card. You guys didnt have the basic thought of simply asking him what the actual problem was.

In fact, on this forum, I have seen this a lot where people weigh in with ideas on how to spend other peoples' money, even if this doesnt cure the problem. The real shocks come when people advise people to buy 700W+ power supply units and further advise that the current 450W psu should be dumped, without even checking if the 450W psu is able to do the job or not.

OP: there is obviously nothing wrong with your machine. You can throw a few hundred pounds at it, but it wont sort the problem with youtube video clips. If you want better quality youtube video clips, you will have to ask the original film-makers and uploaders to improve the quality by which they processed the video and perhaps you could donate them some money to buy a better camcorder, though I'm sure you would go bust very quickly if you used this strategy.

From what I know, there is no method of improving image quality of youtube or google video clips. ffdshow certainly wont help and neither will the CoreAVC codec.

Soldato
You guys didnt have the basic thought of simply asking him what the actual problem was
Well sunama we are only human and the problem that people post to ask help for isn't always obvious, just remember advice is given freely and always with good intentions! There is a lot of other things we can be doing other than trying to help other people with their PC problems/queries in our limited spare time . . . :)

I have seen this a lot where people weigh in with ideas on how to spend other peoples' money
I think the forums would be a ghost town if there was no suggestions oh how best to spend some money. a lot of people don't always spend money on upgrades out of pure necessity but instead to have a little retail therapy and improve their system a little bit. I always prefere maximum bang for buck and my recomendations are always cost effective . . .

Personally if I owned an older Geforce 7300 LE I would be looking to treat myself with a newer much more capable Radeon HD3450 or perhaps something from the lower end of the HD4xxx series. They will without doubt provide a better quality picture for *any* movie watching and have a lot of new technologies tailored specifically at getting the best image quality possible . . .without any messing around with codecs and FFDshow etc, just install, sit down and enjoy your viewing experience.

Lastly a new 55nm tech card will use very little power, less power equals lower running costs so it may be possible to actually recoup the extra cost of upgrading by receiving a few quid off your electricty bills! :cool:

Associate
OP
quality post big wayne thanks for the advice I think I will get one of the cards you suggested. Also what is a 55 tech card?

Soldato
0.55 nm is the size of the GPU die, as time go on it seems they get smaller and smaller (i.e die-shrink). In theory the smaller the die the less power it needs to run.

chip_65nm,.jpg

chip_55nm.jpg

65nm (top) vs 55nm (bottom)

I think the 7300 LE is produced on the 90nm manufacturing process (same as the old 8800GTX) and does not really suit itself to being a low powered video viewing card.

Soldato
I think the forums would be a ghost town if there was no suggestions oh how best to spend some money.

I hear what you are saying. However, it was suggested (in the early parts of this thread) that by spending the extra cash, the problems displaying HD would be sorted.

How would you have explained to the OP, after he had spent the cash, installed the new card and the problems were the same before?

I for one, would not have the heart to explain to him that he was duped into spending money on a new video card that would have no effect whatsoever in respect to displaying HD videos from google video or youtube.

But anyway, I'm digressing...as you were gents...

Associate
OP
I think im just going to go for one of the cheaper cards and if its no good then it wont be a big thing as my card at the moment is shocking.

Soldato
95thriftles said:
You can watch them, they just wont be true HD as the cable is physically incapable of transmitting the amount of data that is in a HD signal. I recommend you invest in one of the following depending on your connectors - DVI, HDMI or displayport

VGA is just fine for 1080p, honestly.
If that was in response to my post in the example I stated the gpu would not be decoding the video, and in any case the cpu will decode it fine. Even my old athlon 2600 could play 1080p without gpu assistance! Can't believe people are reccomending buying a graphics card.

what kind of 1080p? are we talking high bitrate AVC and vc1?

joni, problems with blurring and stuttering of 'hd' material on the likes of youtube ect are down to the player they use and the bitrate of the movies. even a 'hd' movie will look like crap if its encoded at a low bitrate and thats exactly what you are seeing. They arent going to put a 1080p bluray rip on youtube any time soon. think about it - your looking at an average of 30gb a film for 1080p blurays - it just wont happen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom