A question of sound.

Soldato
OP
I've got a choice... the 2496, Juli@ (if that's how you spell it) and E-mu 0404 pci. I was looking on the Head-fi forums they've got good advice too.

Associate
I have nothin to be honest. I have a guitar and a marshall amp for that guitar, tis all. And a pc. :p I play a wide variety of music but mainly rock/metal/blues...I only have an electric guitar. I'm feeling a bit out of my depth here. :p But I got to learn!

Edit - I'll probably get the 2496. Could I connect my guitar straight to the delta 44's seperate box? And connect to my amp for starters then think about recordin later on whilst it being another option there. :)

Right. In which case grab the Delta 44 - the only difference between the 44 and the 66 (which I had for many years) is the lack of SPDIF on the former. In terms of connectivity, the breakout box is really handy as it offers 4x4 Balanced INS/OUTS (1/4" Jack) so yes you could connect 4x guitarists to this box at the same time if you wanted to do a multi-tracked 'live' session at once. Although you WOULD need a DAW such as Sonar, Cubase, Logic or Tools. I mentioned Audacity earlier on as it is free but I have not used it (I myself have to be fluent in all the major DAWs for work).

Basically I must point out at this stage that there is two ways of getting audio inside a PC/DAW:

Direct Injection (or D.I)

OR

Microphone

The former is easier (as you plug the guitar straight into the interface) negating the amp (or you COULD take a jack from the line out of the amp presuming its a post not pre) but this method almost always sounds crap. However, amp emulation plugins have come a long way over the years. Check out Amplitube, PODs and Ampfarm for example.

The latter will produce much better results (as when you play the ELECTRIC guitar half of the instrument is arguably in the amplification). This method is far superior in my sound because there is just something about the way the amp shifts sound through air which can only be accurately captured using a microphone (or a combination).

Personally I use two microphones on electric guitars (this is the standard way). They are setup like this:

Dynamic microphone setup on-axis facing one of the cones of the cabinet with a condenser microphone setup a couple of feet back to record the 'room' sound. Then you blend the directness of the first microphone with the sense of 'space' from the second together in the mix. Note, that the condenser microphone NEEDS 48v of phantom power to operate and as the Delta does not offer this, you would need a seperate preamp if you did opt for this product.

Again, apologies for the length of this reply when I get ranting well theres not much that can stop me (aside from a bullet to the head!).

As it sounds like you are starting out LeJosh, the best approach would definately be the D.I of plugging the guitar straight into the interface and the Delta 44/66 will handle this admirably (as would the 2496 and EMU) so it's entirely up to you which you choose mate!

Regards

Tom

Associate
Lol - so much for lying low for a while eh hughythomas? :p Away 4 hours and you come back 'inebriated' lol

I'm also in the market for a sound card, having been on on-board sound and cheap speakers all my life I'd like to see (hear) what I'm missing.

Then again - until a while ago, I couldn't tell the difference between 56Kbps and 320Kbps so maybe my ear's getting better (and I'm a trained musician too, which doesn't say much for my 8 years playing :( ). Unfortunately, no-one I know has a sound card I can borrow, and there are no retailers around either - so it's straight in at the deep end for me :S

I will listen with interest to the outcome of this thread.

[/thread hijack]

Yer our ears do adapt thats for sure. Originally when I was at college I COULD tell the difference between 128kbps MP3 and 320. Now, I listen in FLAC and even highest rate MP3 is likely to induce vommiting! Funnily enough, its even got to the point now where I can hear sample rates (this has been proven in blind tests on my degree course btw). 44.1kHz vs 48kHz was a bit of a guess to be honest but 44.1kHz vs 96kHz for example is just a different world in terms of dynamic range and clarity.

I MAKE my kids at school bring in the original CDs of tracks they want to learn because I just can't hack what they put on their ipods lol anal? yes but I work in sound! I'd hope that if I was an art student and turned up to a class with a bunch of crayola - well, the teacher would chuck me out of the nearest airlock! lol!

What do the headfi forums say aboot the xonar btw LeJosh? I'd be interested to hear as I've clearly caused a bit of controversy on this thread in that respect!

Soldato
OP
Thanks hughy, now just sit and wait for the moneys to roll in.

Head-fi, not much really, I didn't really notice any posts asking to get that or X VS X apart from "I've never heard of Xonar really apparently the gamers seem to like that card". But Head-fi is dedicated to audiophiles. :p

Edit - I love the look of the delta 44 with the direct inputs, but would it be ok with headphones or would I have to get a headphone amp? Or have the breakout box connected to my amp then out into the headphones? Sorry for the all the questions, I'm strictly new to this.

Last edited:
Associate
No problem at all mate thats what forums are for right?

Your amp presumably takes RCA phono plugs for inputs so would you need a simple adapter or to buy 2x cables that went from 1/4" to RCA. Either can be easily purchased for little money. But yeah, I don't see a problem with using the phones output on the amplifier once its connected to the Delta's outputs.

Back
Top Bottom