A strange journey

This is not a medical thread, but an attempt of an account of the last 7 weeks of hell I have been through, I just wanted to write it down somewhere. As I love OCUK, I thought it would be OK here. If it must be deleted, then so be it.

Some of you may have noticed I have not posted in a while. On the 3rd of May, I was at work, doing my usual thing, support stuff. Sitting in my chair, suddenly and without warning, I collapsed to the floor saying help me. I have no memory of this. I was told this by a colleague. I then fitted for 20 minutes while an ambulance was called. Again, no memory of this. I have never had a fit in my life before this. This was totally out of the blue.

Next thing I know, it is six weeks later and I am bought out of a coma after being sedated. I can't remember where I am and what happened. I was all alone, apart for the ICU nurse assigned to me that day.. I thought no-one knew I was there and I was all alone. Then my partner arrived and I am thrilled to see her and she me as up to this point I had been unconscious. In reality, she had been there every day at the bedside and looking out me, she is really an amazing person. Memories of this day (2 weeks ago now) are pretty vague. The fits had stopped at this point. They thought I was going to die in the first few weeks, but I recovered. They said I was the sickest person in ICU. They write an account of you stay there and I had 2 booklets as I went through so much. I was sedated and every time they tried to take me off it, I would revert to fits again so was sedated again. I was attached to a breathing machine and had been poked and prodded and had needles stuck in me. I was put on dialysis as my kidneys started to fail.

They thought I was going to die and had prepared my partner for the worst. They thought if I did recover, I may have lost the ability to speak, think etc. I was very lucky as all I am suffering from is extreme weight loss and shaky hands, I lost around 3 stone and am having some difficulty typing. I think my memory is messed up and my hands shake a lot now, mostly due to a very heavy dose of steroids.

When I came to, I had no idea what had happened, what I did for a living, but I was still me. My partner explained every thing to me. I had strange hallucinations where I had been kidnapped(not by aliens), when in reality, I was being treated by Drs. It took me 20 mins to write a 2 line text as I kept making mistakes and had to delete and rewrite it but this improved over time. This is probably a jumbled mess as I am still not quite myself yet.

I am home now and recovering well. They were amazed by the progress I have made. I was not ready to die yet. We plan to get married now and live together. We emptied my flat and I have bought everything here now. Things seem to be looking up but I am still worried it may happen again.

I came out the other side of this. I am far more emotionally aware now and more emotional in general.

They don't know what happened or what the cause was. All I know is I embrace life like never before.
I hope this makes sense and does not have to be deleted.

Last edited:
Associate
This is not a medical thread, but an attempt of an account of the last 7 weeks of hell I have been through, I just wanted to write it down somewhere. As I love OCUK, I thought it would be OK here. If it must be deleted, then so be it.

Some of you may have noticed I have not posted in a while. On the 3rd of May, I was at work, doing my usual thing, support stuff. Sitting in my chair, suddenly and without warning, I collapsed to the floor saying help me. I have no memory of this. I was told this by a colleague. I then fitted for 20 minutes while an ambulance was called. Again, no memory of this. I have never had a fit in my life before this. This was totally out of the blue.

Next thing I know, it is six weeks later and I am bought out of a coma after being sedated. I can't remember where I am and what happened. I was all alone, apart for the ICU nurse assigned to me that day.. I thought no-one knew I was there and I was all alone. Then my partner arrived and I am thrilled to see her and she me as up to this point I had been unconscious. In reality, she had been there every day at the bedside and looking out me, she is really an amazing person. Memories of this day (2 weeks ago now) are pretty vague. The fits had stopped at this point. They thought I was going to die in the first few weeks, but I recovered. They said I was the sickest person in ICU. They write an account of you stay there and I had 2 booklets as I went through so much. I was sedated and every time they tried to take me off it, I would revert to fits again so was sedated again. I was attached to a breathing machine and had been poked and prodded and had needles stuck in me. I was put on dialysis as my kidneys started to fail.

They thought I was going to die and had prepared my partner for the worst. They thought if I did recover, I may have lost the ability to speak, think etc. I was very lucky as all I am suffering from is extreme weight loss and shaky hands, I lost around 3 stone and am having some difficulty typing. I think my memory is messed up and my hands shake a lot now, mostly due to a very heavy dose of steroids.

When I came to, I had no idea what had happened, what I did for a living, but I was still me. My partner explained every thing to me. I had strange hallucinations where I had been kidnapped(not by aliens), when in reality, I was being treated by Drs. It took me 20 mins to write a 2 line text as I kept making mistakes and had to delete and rewrite it but this improved over time. This is probably a jumbled mess as I am still not quite myself yet.

I am home now and recovering well. They were amazed by the progress I have made. I was not ready to die yet. We plan to get married now and live together. We emptied my flat and I have bought everything here now. Things seem to be looking up but I am still worried it may happen again.

I came out the other side of this. I am far more emotionally aware now and more emotional in general.

They don't know what happened or what the cause was. All I know is I embrace life like never before.
I hope this makes sense and does not have to be deleted.
Take it easy and one step at a time. You sure have been through the wringer.

Caporegime
Nothing like you but just seeing close family members life ripped away and also going through something myself where I genuinely thought I was going to die (really genuinely) I have a different mindset.

Very happy to hear you're OK. It's orders of magnitude worse than what I had. But I hope the mental change (if the episode doesn't recur) gives you that new perspective you talk of and causes you to make the most of now.

This thread is a perfect example of how you can literally have your life ended at any time.

Don't put off until tomorrow what can be done today.
Don't endlessly save for a future that may never come.
Make sure you make the most of now.

welcome back!

Last edited:
Soldato
its insane that in 2024 this can happen and Dr`s can not find a cause

i guess the only good thing is it happened to you later in life rather that in young childhood

one can only assume it is something to do with the brain or nervous system but i have no idea really

jesus, sounds like you were a lucky boy. any idea what caused it or is the medical investigation still ongoing?
They thought it was some strain of Encephalitis but tests showed negative but there are 13 types and they may have been too late to test for some. I am very lucky, I know this. If I was working from home that day, I'd be dead now. If my boss had not reacted so quickly, I'd be dead. If my lovely lady had not been there every day, even though I was not aware she had been, I may have given up. But she was there for 8 - 10 hours day, telling me she loved me and I was safe.

I was given that drug that is sweeping the US, Fentanyl. I would not recommend it to anyone. It messes with your brain in a nasty way.

If allowed, I could post a photo of me in ICU.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Bloody hell mate, that's awful. Sadly people can't relate to something like this until it happens to them, the fear, anxiety and uncertainty for the following months eats you alive. Hope you recover well and that's the end of it!

(side note, I also had a black out sesh completely random one morning and spent the next few weeks in and out of hospitals getting my head and ticker checked, I started paying attention to this kind of thing and noticed a massive uptick in these events happening, not sure if it's because I've been actively paying attention, because I'm getting older or whatever but I also have rather strong suspicions surrounding the covid jabs)

Back
Top Bottom