• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

A Week With NVIDIA's G-SYNC Monitor

As I said in another thread, the tech looks brilliant.

But this is NVidia, so they'll screw it up and make it completely unappealing to users somehow.

First step in that process: the Asus exclusivity agreement. I mean what were they thinking?

Just been reading about the DIY kit on Nvidia GSync website. A bet when this gets out you wont be able to buy the ASUS VG248QE for love nor money.

The article ended on an extremely positive note, yet you chose to quote compatibility let downs lol :D

well lets hope they are clear with them *compatibility let downs* when selling it or there's going to be a lot of disappointed people

only full screen rules out 100% hardcore gamers i know, they all play in borderless window
no multi screen? that must rule out a percentage of casual gamers too
if its really that good i guess many will change up for it tho

I'm very happy with the 120hz PVA Eizo i've just bought but I'd upgrade to a G-Sync version (even better 27"), couldn't do TN again I doubt. I don't ever bother with v-sync and find it less irritating on 120hz panels for some reason.

Wait until end of January. I've got BenQ 24" and 27" models coming, pricing is good too. :)

When are the asus units due in? Had an email from geforce uk last week 'celebrating' the release of gsync for 'the holiday period' though not a sniff of information besides this :confused:

Hopefully this will increase the rate of adoption for DisplayPort. We all want it and it's royalty-free yet only the most expensive panels have it still?

What currently keeps me from using DisplayPort is the driver bugs. With my R290, if I'm using DisplayPort and the card goes above 90C (which is all the time with such a card) the screen goes black until it drops back under that threshold again.

It doesn't crash anything, I can still play the game in the background and hear audio etc. I just can't see any output on DP above that temperature.

I had the same bug with my HD7850, same with my HD6850, same with my HD6770. I reported it way back then and it's never been fixed.

So DVI it is.

Wait until end of January. I've got BenQ 24" and 27" models coming, pricing is good too. :)

The Asus exclusivity thing is complete rubbish then?

I won't be moving until there's a 27" IPS option anyway. I'll happily keep 60Hz just for the improved picture quality over TN. Preferably a G-Sync version of the Dell U2713, that'd be ideal.

Just been reading about the DIY kit on Nvidia GSync website. A bet when this gets out you wont be able to buy the ASUS VG248QE for love nor money.

I was under the impression from that I read recently that the DIY kits were a non-starter, let me try and find where I saw it.

I was under the impression from that I read recently that the DIY kits were a non-starter, let me try and find where I saw it.

Its still on Nvidia's gsync page tho.

Alternatively, if you’re a dab hand with a Philips screwdriver, you can purchase the kit itself and mod an ASUS VG248QE monitor at home. A complete installation instruction manual will be available to view online when the module becomes available, giving you a good idea of the skill level required for the DIY solution; assuming proficiency with modding, our technical gurus believe installation should take approximately 30 minutes.

http://www.geforce.co.uk/whats-new/articles/introducing-nvidia-g-sync-revolutionary-ultra-smooth-stutter-free-gaming

Will OCUK be stocking the DIY kits too ?

Believe they won't be made available now to the public, its quite an unknown.

Just hearing from BenQ they say end of January actually looks slim now, most likely a little later.

Asus will have a model before XMAS, but at present we know very little on it, but will be 24", to be honest with how expensive its gonna be I'd be buying 240Hz Eizo all the time, these need to be 27"

Yeah seems I mis-read, my apologies.

[Edit] Or what Gibbo said. I knew I wasn't imagining it! :p

[Edit2] Gibbo, will these monitors all be TN Film or are there going to be IPS models at launch?

I think Nvidia were a bit misleading with their "all you need is a philips" talk, although I've never modded a monitor before or even seen one with the back off since the CRT days.

I remember trying to dismantle a CRT about a decade ago. Man, those things hold some serious charge long after being unplugged!

Touched something with a screwdriver, it ended up being fired across the room and embedded in the opposite wall. Needless to say, I lost my nerve a bit. :p

I think Nvidia were a bit misleading with their "all you need is a philips" talk, although I've never modded a monitor before or even seen one with the back off since the CRT days.

looking at the replacement card it looks very much like a laptop GPU, it has pins along the bottom that look like they slide in to a socket, if the Asus existing monitor uses the same format then there's no reason why it wouldn't just be a case of opening the back up and swapping the module over

that being said, there's plenty of opportunity to break little plastic tabs doing it so NVidia and Asus probably want to stay clear of "my casing broke" claims / bad news stories all over forums

I went inside an old laptop screen which I imagine would be pretty similar. I only needed a philips so they could be telling the truth.

Believe they won't be made available now to the public, its quite an unknown.

Just hearing from BenQ they say end of January actually looks slim now, most likely a little later.

Asus will have a model before XMAS, but at present we know very little on it, but will be 24", to be honest with how expensive its gonna be I'd be buying 240Hz Eizo all the time, these need to be 27"

between them they need the full range, lots of people have preferences for certain monitor types and I don't think many people will give up on their most prized aspect for gsync

for Gregster it's IPS/1440, for me it's the biggest 4K for a sub 2K price

the 24" Asus will be the VG248QE with gsync no?
so basically it will be the same panel and case as the existing one, just with whatever other features they add to gsync that haven't been fully revealed yet

it is good news that more than one manf will have them out in Q1 though

So I see that gsync fixes low fps stutter, will it also work the opposite direction and fix the tearing you get at high fps?

yes, if what people who have seen it are saying, and what NVidia are saying is correct then it eliminates tearing, stutter and lag which are all artefacts caused by the GPU and monitor not being in perfect sync, or from band aids added to vsync (triple buffering)
the situation you are describing is from running with vsync off (presumably to avoid input lag), with gsync on you get the benefit of vsync (no tearing) but also no input lag

Last edited:
yes, if what people who have seen it are saying, and what NVidia are saying is correct then it eliminates tearing, stutter and lag which are all artefacts caused by the GPU and monitor not being in perfect sync, or from band aids added to vsync (triple buffering)
the situation you are describing is from running with vsync off (presumably to avoid input lag), with gsync on you get the benefit of vsync (no tearing) but also no input lag
I'm not sure how it would fix it without in some way limiting the FPS to the monitor's max refresh rate.

I remember trying to dismantle a CRT about a decade ago. Man, those things hold some serious charge long after being unplugged!

Touched something with a screwdriver, it ended up being fired across the room and embedded in the opposite wall. Needless to say, I lost my nerve a bit. :p

LOL they were a little scary to work on. I was always like "oh ****, oh ****, oh ****, don't kill me!!" :D

Back
Top Bottom