• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

A Week With NVIDIA's G-SYNC Monitor

I just hope a adaptor comes out so it works on any monitor so it doesnt have to have it built into it. I dont wana buy another monitor but i want the tech and i have a 670 and a nice dell st2410 monitor i dont wana discard. So with any luck there will be some sort of adatpro that plugs in the back of monitors somewhere that can override the inbuilt scaler or somit so i can enjoy gsync. And hopefully be far cheaper than a new monitor i.e 30 quid or so. ;)

Hoping remember im hoping.

I took this from anand.

" If you’re not overly bothered by tearing or are ok with v-sync stuttering, there’s really nothing G-Sync can offer you."

I don't really use v-sync much so i have never really seen this v-sync stuttering. Tearing has never really been something that i have noticed or bothered about over the years so i doubt it would really make my gaming that much better. I tend to zone in when gaming so thats most likely why tearing never bothered me as i really don't tend to notice it.

Last edited:
G-Sync’s value is best realized in specific scenarios where there’s a lot of frame rate variability - particularly between 30 and 60 fps. Staying in that sweet spot is tougher to do on a 1080p panel, especially if you’ve already invested in a pretty fast video card

Hmm so not so great if you run a sli rig, unless you are at a very high res, which means 4k or maybe 1440p and insane image quality. Ironic you can't use it with multi-monitor setups as it seems perfectly suited to that kind of res.

Tearing does not always happen in all games with vsync off. That's how it is for me anyway. Depends on the game engine i guess. Stutter only occurs for me with vsync on if fps dips below 50. If it stays above 45 then the stutter is very small and barely noticeable. If it goes below 45 then yeah, it can be very noticeable. This is the case for most but not all games that have triple buffering support.

Last edited:
Hmm so not so great if you run a sli rig, unless you are at a very high res, which means 4k or maybe 1440p and insane image quality. Ironic you can't use it with multi-monitor setups as it seems perfectly suited to that kind of res.

This could really be one of those technology's where it's better to try before you buy and know if it will suit your type of gaming and setup.

So they are saying what I suspected.

If your rig is pretty killer, this technology won't offer much?

Problem for most I suspect, is actually finding somewhere that has them on display. Short of PCWorld or Curry's getting them (highly doubtful), there is nowhere near me for instance where I could go and see it.

Just noticed this as well ;

How can a tech that is supposed to reduce stutters, introduce them where they were previously unnoticed? :confused:
My guess would be that because frames are sent to the monitor as they are ready if there is a hiccup and a frame takes a little longer to render you would notice more readily than if you were using V-sync as the buffering would cover it up.

Just guessing though :)

Problem for most I suspect, is actually finding somewhere that has them on display. Short of PCWorld or Curry's getting them (highly doubtful), there is nowhere near me for instance where I could go and see it.

We shall get some BenQ's on display, their prices seem to be over £100 cheaper, maybe even more, far better value. But looks like shall be nothing from them until Jan-March time, sorry can't be more specific.

I just hope a adaptor comes out so it works on any monitor so it doesnt have to have it built into it. I dont wana buy another monitor but i want the tech and i have a 670 and a nice dell st2410 monitor i dont wana discard. So with any luck there will be some sort of adatpro that plugs in the back of monitors somewhere that can override the inbuilt scaler or somit so i can enjoy gsync. And hopefully be far cheaper than a new monitor i.e 30 quid or so. ;)

Hoping remember im hoping.

That cant happen as there is no way to bypass the original circuitry externally unless they build that option into the monitor.

£450, no thanks, was expecting £400 tops! I've seen the base model as low as £269.

Will stick with my vg236 until better value arrives.

Need lightboost for 3d, some games can be pretty dark without it, unfortunately rules out the eizo for me too as afaik it doesn't offer 3d in any capacity.

Same for me and it will be pricey returning under DSR but still worth it to see if it is what I want.

Will ocuk be testing this out on a killer setup?

If we get one from Asus, but to be honest the price point makes us not so interested.

Buy the standard monitor at sub £300 and put the additional £150 towards a flagship graphics card, then from what the reviews are saying you don't need G-sync, especially if you have SLI or Crossfire.

Back
Top Bottom