A wild swimming pool appears!

Caporegime
They arrive home in the late afternoon, the devastating sunshine of midday now tempering to a warm glow. It’s bright, almost too bright. He shields his eyes as he parks the car in the drive, the gate behind them closing smoothly. She says something and the daughter responds; he remains quiet. It’s been a very long day. He gets out of the car and is about to search for his door keys when something catches his eyes. Something glinting, reflecting the sun. He stops, mentions something to his wife and heads to the back garden. The shape begins to take form. It can’t be, can it?

“That magnificent *******,” he breathes, taking in the view. “He did it.”

He walks over to the pool. It’s almost Olympic size, he guesses, and the ceramic tiling is exquisite. He runs his hand over an edge, enjoying the mirror-like feel it has. He dips a finger into the deep, clear blue. Raises it. Holds it up to the light before bringing it to his lips and licking it. “Water!” he exclaims. “Clever. Very clever. He’s thought of everything.”

There are pipes and filters and an assortment of other things he doesn’t recognise. He nods his head sagely. “Stuff,” he says, “that does things, no doubt. Almost certainly. Wouldn’t surprise me. Not one bit.”

He suddenly realises he should take a picture, perhaps more than one. The thought just appears and it doesn’t feel uncomfortable or out of place. “Woman!” he calls and the wife looks up from the kitchen. “Prepare the camera!” he orders. She nods, muttering something but he can’t hear it. It was probably thanks, he thinks, considering. Gratitude for his foresight to capture this vision before it – God please, no! – disappears.

“I should put more water in it!” he thinks suddenly. He ambles over to the hosepipe, eyeing it suspiciously – it’s caught him out more than once but he’s ready this time.

“Come at me ho,” he whispers.

TO BE CONTINUED.

it4QZl.jpg

ugFVKl.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
The tiles and the light. Tiles and light. It's mesmerising, he decides, an intricate chessboard of blue and white. The tiles reflect the light, making it dance and bounce, this way and that, like a glitterball really, and he's so overcome he has to sit down to gather his thoughts.

The hose plan had been a good one. So far, it had been pumping for over two hours but, he supposed, an Olympic sized pool requires an Olympian effort to fill. He nods, congratulating himself on his clever words, noting them down for future swimming-pool anecdotal use. Bound to be useful, he ponders, nodding knowingly.

"Now," he says out loud (although there is no one there, the women having retired for a snooze, to rest their heads and dream of waterfalls and swimming pools), "we must populate our pool!"

Nothing happens.

He sighs wearily, knowing he must wait for the ladyfolk to rise from their slumber. "Soon," he thinks. "Soon."

The hosepipe continues to gush, filling the pool, and he eyes it, equal to equal. "Well done," he says, "Very good, supreme effort." The hosepipe says nothing but he knows it heard him.

pUYkOl.jpg

TO BE CONTINUED.

Caporegime
OP
"I don't want to," she says. She's angry but he thinks he can turn this round.

"But darling, think of the internet. What if I composed a shot that had not one but both of our compost bins in it?" he asks, grinning amiably.

"That would be ... terrible," she says but shrugs, laughing lightly and asks where she should stand, pretending to take direction. He plays along.

"Right a bit, right a bit ... hold on ... left a wee bit ... stop!" he says. "Perfect!"

The camera clicks.

WPdsol.jpg

"Ok, let's have another on - oh MY GOD, what the hell is going on? Quick, run! MOVE! Get out of the way, it's going to - oh Jesus oh God oh God oh God what the hell is happening here I -"

The gaping maw of the blue and white light opens once and it's everywhere, in all places at all times. The sun disappears (DISAPPEAR HERE he thinks but can't remember where that came from) yet there is light everywhere, bouncing, reflecting, dazzling the senses. It's the force, not the light, that knocks him to the ground and when eventually he can open his eyes she is gone.

The pool remains, placid, serene. Blue and white.

3EDf5l.jpg

He thinks the pool looks bloated, full. "Oh God, what do I do now?" he thinks. "And who is going to make me a sandwich?"

TO BE CONTINUED

Caporegime
OP
Above ground pool peasant.

Sent from my 2 bedroom apartment

Ha, I missed this! We're actually putting in a proper pool next year when we have the renovations done but a pool is eye-wateringly expensive - we're going to have to get the pre-fabricated shell dropped into the back yard by helicopter because there's no access for a pool of the dimensions we want through the front of the house. On top of this, a crap one costs $50k and we don't want a crap one.

Jeez, now I'm depressed and remember why posting about the $150 pool we bought from The Warehouse seemed like a good idea :)

Caporegime
OP
Around here that's called a paddling pool... :p

Around here it's called a puddle, darling.

no its 'a wild swimming pool appears!'

I knew there was something wrong even as I posted it :mad:

e : Fixed!

e2 : Damn blast! Can a friendly passing mod change the thread title to "A wild swimming pool appears!"? Thanks!

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
"Daddy?" she asks.

"Yes, darling?"

"Where's mummy gone?"

"I ... I think the Olympic sized, ceramic-tiled swimming pool ate her," I manage, unsure.

"Did she go on holiday?" she asks, head cocked to one side.

"Yes, I suppose she did," I reply (DISAPPEAR HERE DISAPPEAR HERE)

"Why didn't she tell us she was going?" she asks again.

"I don't know, darling. I don't know what happened. I think the swimming pool -"

"Did it speak to her?" she interupts, "Show her? Show her the room? Did it talk again?"

"I don't ... what do you mean 'again'?" I ask, confused, hysteria building.

"I have to find her daddy. She'll be in the room."

"What do you mean 'again', darling?" I repeat. "What does that mean?"

"I need to go swimming for mummy now," she says and she dives into the pool (Olympic-sized and ceramic-tiled).

F6LuPl.jpg

"God speed," I mutter before passing out once more.

Caporegime
OP
"Daddy, are you awake?" A voice, her voice. Daughter.

I splutter, cough. "Yes," I manage, "I'm awake."

"Watch," she says.

"Watch what?" I demand, suddenly angry.

"I'm going to find mummy now. The room is in the brown building. Don't you see?" She claps her hands. Blue and white.

I don't know how we got here, I think, and I'm scared and want to go home.

hCyv0l.jpg

(DISAPPEAR HERE)

"Can we play horsey later?" she asks, "Once I've found mummy and the swimming pool?"

yes i croak i think but it doesnt come out so i try again and it still doesnt work so i nod and then

Caporegime
OP
ive found the brown building daddy she says and i think i nod i try to anyway but its hard

daddy?

yes darling

ive found the brown building and i know where mummy is

I0ps3l.jpg

no, you musn't go there darling.

why?

because it's a bad place.

why?

because it's a terrible place.

mummy is in there.

[I hack back a sob.]

- no you mustn't go in there.

- but why daddy?

- because I said so and you have to -

- I'll be back soon and then we can play horsey. Dora the Explorer is with me!

There is a picture I have in my mind and it looks exactly like this.

Caporegime
OP
"Daddy?" she says again. It's late, much later now, morning actually, and the things (DISAPPEAR HERE) which I don't think happened seem like dreams, insubstantial nothings.

"What is it darling?" I ask her. I'm at the back door, wondering why the security clasp isn't fastened and why the kitchen window, which also backs on to the garden, is open. "Did you play with the door?" I ask, smiling.

"No."

Relief washes over me. "Good girl," I say, wondering how I managed to leave it in such a state.

"It played with the door," she says flatly. "Not me. It."

Pause. A beat.

"It wants to come in," she says - is she smiling? - "It wants to come in now, daddy. At least the door's open."

pUYkOl.jpg

Caporegime
OP
Tarasbirthdayparty006.jpg

"A different day," he thinks, squinting up at the clouds, wondering exactly which day it is. Saturday? A birthday. Nothing goes wrong on birthdays. His wife waves from the other side of the garden and he nods, smiling, and readies himself for the onslaught of parents and children and carnage.

"At least things have settled down," she says, "don't you think, Daddy?"

He stops, considering. "They have, sweetheart, they have."

None of that happened, he thinks, convincing himself, it was a dream and I probably had too much gin. Ha, maybe too much wine as well! So real, though. So very very real.

"Disappear here, daddy!"

He freezes, turns, is about to ask what she said but - "Dizzy is here, daddy!" she shouts again, excited, jumping up and down. He takes a breath, blows out slowly. "Ah, Diz," he says, teeth feeling numb, "Diz."

(DISAPPEAR HERE) "Here, daddy, over here!" she yells and he looks over.

Tarasbirthdayparty002.jpg

And everyone appears, they are just there. How did this happen? There's something new in the garden and he didn't put it there. Is that a ... is that a castle, he wonders. Where did it come from?

"Let's do bouncing!" she commands, giggling. "Let's bounce," he corrects, raising a finger which she ignores and then - "Where did the castle come from, darling?" he asks, concerned.

"What do you mean?" She's confused. "It's always been here, daddy. Ha ha, you're funny!" she beams.

"But ... no, it hasn't," is all that comes out. "I would have remembered. Where did it come from?" He eyes the shutters and the kitchen window and it all comes flooding back - the doors open, the lights which don't illuminate, the alarms which don't trigger, the brown room, the blue and white.

"Daddy," she whispers.

"What?" he croaks. He's kneeling, hugging himself really and (DISAPPEAR HERE) why are there blotches everywhere?

"Time to go," she nods. "Time to go."

Tarasbirthdayparty007.jpg

"Dizzy is here," she adds. "Can you see her? She's right next to me."

The pool - blue and white and serene as ever - looks on and that was all we saw.

Caporegime
OP
"You don't have to put it into words," she says. My wife, my love. Everything is happening in present tense and I don't know why.

"I do," I nod, smiling, "I do."

There is an idea I have in my head and I picture it being the size of a worm. It's tiny, insignificant. Not a worm, a butterfly, not insignificant. These things almost make me -

"Smile, daddy!"

I love you because you are a better me, someone I lean on and want you to lean on me. You complete me - that's a terrible, common phrase but it's true - and I would probably lose myself without you. Let me count the ways.

"Darling, where did you go? Where's Diz?"

She looks up, amused. "Who is Diz, daddy?"

"She's ... well, she's your friend," I say. She looks blank. "Isn't she?" I ask, the frown almost hurting. "From Daycare?" I'm stumbling, lost. "From Daycare," I say with conviction, "She is, I met her and her mummy and daddy and we -"

"She's not real, daddy. Not really."

I stare straight ahead and it's not as bad as I thought it would be. "What do you mean, not real?" I ask.

And I love you so much, so, so much and you can put italics on that if you like I don't care. I love you.

Caporegime
OP
We're walking down a hallway and everything is brown, matted in, I think, hair, but that can't be right.

"Brown house, brown room," she sings, like a nightmare lullaby.

There are doors on either side and we pass them at speeds I can't really grasp - "I'm dreaming!" I falsely think, "It's just a dream!" - but the horizon doesn't shift. It is static.

Then it flips and we're both heading the way we just came, the exit right in front of us but it's not getting closer and how can that be? Why isn't it getting closer? Surely it should be -

"Daddy." Worried, uptight.

"Darling?" I say and my heart is beating hard. Christ, we've flipped again and we're heading back down the passage way of this place.

"Brown room," she says, muttering, "Brown room in the brown house. Just like she said."

"Like who said, sweetheart?" I ask but I know, I already know and I want to sit down but we're still flying down this terrible brown corridor and there are doors - so many doors - and it needs to end. It has to end. "Did Dizzy tell you something?" I ask gingerly, scared. "Can we," I gulp, "get out?"

Everything stops.

"Dizzy is here," she says and the brown room in the brown house has visitors.

Caporegime
OP
I'm not a brave man. This isn't an apology. I don't know how we got here. ("You do", someone whispers but I bat it away). I really don't.

"Hello?" I ask. Nothing but my own voice comes back at me, reverberating yet clipping the 'o' so it sounds more like "Hell" than my inquisitive greeting. It's so dark in here, a dark blue or purple pearlescence sheen masking what I imagine is the normal light. Is it pulled shades or creatively coloured bulbs? What the hell is going on?

- Hello, she responds.

- My name is Dis

I wait.

- or dizz or Diz or dizzy or Dizzy or Disrae. I live here.

- Brown room, she adds.

- We've met, I think, before? she questions. Before today, certainly. I remember you.

This room makes me feel like crying, like breaking down, hitting my balled-up fists into the wooden flooring. Swearing, wailing. I remember times, good times, pleasant times and -

"Daddy? Brown room. I'm so sad," she says. She has a sniffle that I want to wipe but I can't see her, I can't see anything.

"I know, darling. I know." Someone laughs.

- Disappear here or disappear here? Or shall we wait for the saviour to turn up? she asks

"Mummy, stay away, not yet," I hear my daughter say and I want it to happen, I want it to be the thing that happens in this story, I want it to be the truth that arrives but I know that it won't be.

I'm in a brown room - the brown room - and I'm scared and then she says -

- Disappear here. Here.

To be continued.

Caporegime
OP
"Darling, come here. Now."

"Mummy, I -"

"Now. To my side. I won't ask again."

- Ah you made it. How nice of you to finally arrive. Were you ... busy?

"No," she says, "Not busy, no."

- But you came?

"Clearly," she responds, nodding.

- For her? she asks

"For both of them."

- I think that you know this will be difficult.

"I know." There's an intake of breath here and we watch, expectant. "I know," she says more firmly. We exhale.

- Leave her and take him

There's a pause, a beat, and we all count to 1, 2 3 -

"No."

- Leave him and take her then.

There's a pause a beat, a -

"I can't do that either," she says.

- It's amusing that you think you have a choice here. Let me make this more simple for you.

TO BE CONTINUED.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
[FnG]magnolia;21029457 said:
"Darling, come here. Now."

"Mummy, I -"

"Now. To my side. I won't ask again."

- Ah you made it. How nice of you to finally arrive. Were you ... busy?

"No," she says, "Not busy, no."

- But you came?

"Clearly," she responds, nodding.

- For her? she asks

"For both of them."

- I think that you know this will be difficult.

"I know." There's an intake of breath here and we watch, expectant. "I know," she says more firmly. We exhale.

- Leave her and take him

There's a pause, a beat, and we all count to 1, 2 3 -

"No."

- Leave him and take her then.

There's a pause a beat, a -

"I can't do that either," she says.

- It's amusing that you think you have a choice here. Let me make this more simple for you.

TO BE CONTINUED.

- You can't have both. So sorry, so very sorry, she sings. Everybody off, next stop, end of the line she adds glumly. Oh dear. All the King's Men Couldn't Put ... Humpty, are you there, she asks suddenly, suspiciously.

I hear Diz ask this and know she's talking about me. My balls shrivel and pull in and my gut feels like it's been punched. I hear a sob from my daughter and a muted gasp from my wife. I hear breathing - heavy, laboured, painful breathing - and wish I could see what was happening.

- Humpty? Are you there, she asks again.

Why is she asking this? She knows I'm here, she called us here, we're here because of her. I try to stop the shaking that has gripped my body and I'm nearly successful.

"Daddy," she says softly, "she doesn't know. I don't think - I don't think she knows if we're here or not anymore. Something's happened. Something's changed. The Brown Room is changing."

- Humpty? Humpty!

I feel a hand, tiny fingers touching my foot and - is that light, can I see light?

"Shhh," my daughter says and the light remains dim but I can now see a face. She smiles at me and oh God her face is radiant, glorious, it's -

"Blue and white," my wife says in tones so low I can barely hear her. I feel another hand, larger certainly but equally as delicate, and my wife's hand touches my hand.

"We can do this," she adds, "we can make this, we have to make this."

"Daddy, she's right. We can do this but we have to leave now! We have to lea -"

- Humpty, oh Humpty. I'm tired of this and these games. I think I had a ... wobble ... but we're back now. Brown Room, lights please.

The sickening, glaring, yellowish light of the Brown Room slowly starts to appear.

"We have to leave now, now!" my ladies say.

And that's when it happens.

TO BE CONTINUED

Back
Top Bottom