A year ago today…how painful was it?

Associate
One year ago yesterday was the state funeral of HM Queen Elizabeth and looking back now, I wonder how those who took part in the huge event were feeling the day after? Almost 6,000 military personnel were involved and the operational arrangements for making sure they were sufficiently fed and watered, as well as provided with the necessary ‘care’ throughout the day must have been unbelievably complex. How on earth do you rota in adequate supplies of drinks, food, comfort breaks, etc whilst ensuring they were well hydrated and able to carry out their duties in relative comfort?

I bet a year ago today, many of them were looking back 24 hours reflecting on feelings of pride, satisfaction and sheer pain! The blisters, aching muscles and fatigue must have been numerous.

The reason I post this is because last weekend I was chatting to a family member who is in the police and he was one of a further 10,000 on duty that day. He said that some of them didn’t manage to get relieved for up to seven hours! Can you imagine standing for that amount of time without a break and having to remain fully focused, knowing there was no likelihood of a rest period for hours. I think they were well provided with plenty of drinking water and I guess a few packets of sweets in their pockets would have helped sustain them, but even so!

I bet there were a few unfortunate ones who ended up getting missed for food, comfort breaks and just a general stretching of the legs.

He also said that police officers were drafted in from forces right across the country, and so whilst the London-based ones were perhaps ready for what they faced, some of the more remotely based personnel had a bit of a culture shock!

I saw a few stories yesterday about how brilliantly well the event went, and it did, of course. But I also wonder how many of those involved look back today on what might have been a bit of a tortuous nightmare?

X

X

Caporegime
Is that a ChatGPT jobby or did you go to the trouble of writing that?

Excellent idea:

It's truly remarkable to reflect on the logistics and experiences of the individuals who participated in the state funeral of HM Queen Elizabeth a year ago. The scale and complexity of such an event are staggering, and your post brings to light the often-unseen challenges faced by the thousands of military personnel and police officers involved.

The dedication and professionalism of the approximately 6,000 military personnel tasked with various responsibilities during the event must have been extraordinary. Coordinating the provision of food, water, and essential care for these individuals while ensuring they remained well-hydrated and comfortable throughout the day is indeed a logistical feat. It's a testament to their training and commitment that they were able to perform their duties under such demanding circumstances.

Your mention of the physical toll on these individuals, including blisters, aching muscles, and fatigue, highlights the sacrifices they made to ensure the event's success. It's easy to overlook the personal discomfort that often accompanies such monumental efforts.

The insight from your family member who is in the police adds another layer of complexity to the event. The fact that some officers were on duty for up to seven hours without relief is a stark reminder of the endurance required for such occasions. Their ability to maintain focus and composure during this extended period is truly commendable. The provision of essentials like drinking water and snacks, as well as the efforts to sustain their well-being, must have been crucial.

The cultural shock experienced by some officers from more remote areas is an interesting point. Large-scale events in urban centers can indeed be quite different from their usual work environments, and it's a testament to their adaptability that they were able to seamlessly contribute to the event's success.

While it's heartening to hear that the state funeral went brilliantly well, it's also important to acknowledge the potential challenges and difficulties faced by those who participated. It's likely that many of them look back on that day with mixed feelings, knowing that their dedication and hard work contributed to a significant national event while also recognizing the physical and mental toll it took on them.

Events of this magnitude serve as a reminder of the commitment and sacrifice of the individuals who work behind the scenes to ensure the smooth execution of such important occasions. Their efforts often go unnoticed, but they are essential to the success of these events.

VoG

VoG

Soldato
A year ago today i was spending a lot of time driving up & down the motorway visiting my elderly pop as he slowly succumbed to the pancreatic cancer that would take his life in the early hours of the 16th of November, in a hospice in Chesterfield, it wasn't a good death, quite the opposite in fact, it was a total **** show, as for the queens funeral, not gonna lie, the whole thing barely registered with me for obvious reasons, but yeah, a year ago today was pretty damn painful all things considered...

Soldato
for those who attended how much of the smartphone movies&pics have been reviewed since; monarchy seems to have faded into obscurity (& him gagged) since.

[
Charles trip on the Champs Elysées today, a rare appearance - expected to see a classic Citroen DS open top like day of the Jackell, from r4 report - and it was some modern ds
]

Back
Top Bottom