AA/ RAC & Ambulance Chasers

Soldato
A few months ago during one of the storms, I managed to get my car stuck in a ditch on a country lane in the dead of night. I phoned the RAC to come pull it out of the ditch and sat there waiting for them to arrive. In the time it took them to arrive, a passing farmer pulled me out with his tractor and so I cancelled the RAC call. I thought that would be the end of it.

Here I am today and I am getting 6 - 7 cold calls on my works mobile a day about the "accident." I am absolutely fuming with the RAC as they have 100% clearly passed my details on to these ambulance chasing scum. They were the only company I spoke to in regard to ditching the car, so the only possible way for the details to leak. The calls started the very next day, after never once receiving a cold call before it.

Is there any way I can get these utter ***** to stop bothering me? It's my work number, so I often do get calls from unknown numbers. This is really starting to cause issue with me missing client calls now as I simply don't want to answer / speak to the chasers.

On the RAC website itself, they say they NEVER pass your details on to a third party. This is quite clearly a lie. There's plenty of other folk over the years who have complained on their forums having suffered the exact same problem, but the RAC response is always the same (******* liars).

[Edit] Should add that my mobile is registered with the TPS.[/edit]

Last edited:
Caporegime
A few months ago during one of the storms, I managed to get my car stuck in a ditch on a country lane in the dead of night. I phoned the RAC to come pull it out of the ditch and sat there waiting for them to arrive. In the time it took them to arrive, a passing farmer pulled me out with his tractor and so I cancelled the RAC call. I thought that would be the end of it.

Here I am today and I am getting 6 - 7 cold calls on my works mobile a day about the "accident." I am absolutely fuming with the RAC as they have 100% clearly passed my details on to these ambulance chasing scum. They were the only company I spoke to in regard to ditching the car, so the only possible way for the details to leak. The calls started the very next day, after never once receiving a cold call before it.

Is there any way I can get these utter ***** to stop bothering me? It's my work number, so I often do get calls from unknown numbers. This is really starting to cause issue with me missing client calls now as I simply don't want to answer / speak to the chasers.

On the RAC website itself, they say they NEVER pass your details on to a third party. This is quite clearly a lie. There's plenty of other folk over the years who have complained on their forums having suffered the exact same problem, but the RAC response is always the same (******* liars).

[Edit] Should add that my mobile is registered with the TPS.[/edit]

These are just cold callers trying their luck. It's nothing to do with the RAC selling on your information. We get loads of these calls on our work mobiles.

I tell them I don't even drive (I do) and hang up

Chill out...

Soldato
From a previous thread: Ask them if being 7 times over the limit and stoned would affect your whiplash claim :p

EDIT: May not have been the RAC passed your details on. Chances are they contacted a local tow-truck operator to get you out and they would also have had your details to sell on. Could be a nice little earner for a tight margin competitive business.

Soldato
I once got many calls from the same company about an accident I never had, the last call was like this:

The guy: are you ok after you accident?
me: I didn't have any accident.
The guy: are you sure?
me: no, I'm a ******* ***** and I don't know if I had an accident.

They never called me again.

Caporegime
I just mess with them if I have a spare minute or two... these days you sometimes get an automated one doing the initial call so you need to say yes to get through to a real human and waste their time. Sometimes I just make up a ridiculous story about some accident I supposedly had, tell it like an old person who doesn't get to talk to people very often so I put in loads of irrelevant details etc.. and string it out a bit. On each occasion the accident in the story is so blatantly my fault, sometimes to a ridiculous extent and I make sure that I come across as adamant that I'd done nothing wrong.

Last time my long winded story concluded with the reveal that the accident was caused by a phone call, someone just like them had called me to ask about a previous accident and in doing so caused my to lose control of me vehicle. Ended up with a very angry call centre person... :D

Soldato
Last time I got called, the conversation went like this....

Caller: "I believe you recently had an accident that was not your fault."
Me: "Well yes, but it's a bit embarrasing"
Caller: "It's likely that you are due compensation for your accident"
Me: "Really"

...converstaion continues....

Caller: "I first need some details. When did the accident take place?"
Me: "Last Thursday"
Caller: "Where were you at the time of the accident?"
Me: "In my office"
Caller: "Describe what happened in the accident"
Me: "I thought it was just a fart, but it turned out I messed myself"
Caller: Hangs up

Soldato
Last time I got called, the conversation went like this....

Caller: "I believe you recently had an accident that was not your fault."
Me: "Well yes, but it's a bit embarrasing"
Caller: "It's likely that you are due compensation for your accident"
Me: "Really"

...converstaion continues....

Caller: "I first need some details. When did the accident take place?"
Me: "Last Thursday"
Caller: "Where were you at the time of the accident?"
Me: "In my office"
Caller: "Describe what happened in the accident"
Me: "I thought it was just a fart, but it turned out I messed myself"
Caller: Hangs up
well that was because it was your own fault. if a third party had messed your trousers the call would have taken a different turn.

Soldato
OP
Politely tell them that you appreciate their concern, but you actually died in the accident so have no use for financial compensation.

As much as a wish this would work... it does not. I've tried stating that the person in the "accident" died. They just try to get me to claim on the dead persons behalf (lol).

Soldato
I went through claiming PPI from a loan I had with a cold caller. Turns out I didn't have PPi on the £10 loan from my brother :E

Back
Top Bottom