Poll: Abu Dhabi Prix 2018, Yas Marina - Race 21/21

Rate the 2018 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
Soldato
Because this is a F1 thread.
And again. If you want to start a new thread about all other formulas, then please do so.

I suppose you think F1 drivers lives are more important than those of F2/F3/etc drivers too. F1 discussion thread it may be, but this is your issue with the halo, not F1's.

I remember why you were lucky special enough to be only one of two people to make my ignore list now. Why ever did I think second chances were a good idea...

Soldato
As proven on Sunday when the hulk could not get out of the car.

Except Hulk didn’t even undo his seatbelt and try and get out of the car...

When a car is upside down in a ‘low’ energy crash the procedure is to put the car back on it’s wheels and let the driver climb out of the cockpit on their own. They even said that in the commentary on C4.

Soldato
Except Hulk didn’t even undo his seatbelt and try and get out of the car...

When a car is upside down in a ‘low’ energy crash the procedure is to put the car back on it’s wheels and let the driver climb out of the cockpit on their own. They even said that in the commentary on C4.

Well he couldn't undo his belt. His helmet would have hit the ground and his body would have been all bent up.
Just think about it for a min.

They have no choice but get the car back on it's wheels.
Unless they take a chainsaw to it.

Soldato
Well he couldn't undo his belt. His helmet would have hit the ground and his body would have been all bent up.
Just think about it for a min.

They have no choice but get the car back on it's wheels.
Unless they take a chainsaw to it.

What are you on about? The roll hoop is there to stop a drivers head pancaking on the tarmac in the event of a flip. If his head hit the floor as you describe he would have had a serious concussion, spinal injuries or worse. Hulk walked away without a scratch (except perhaps to his ego).

https://www.essentiallysports.com/new-angle-hulkenberg-crash-surfaces/

Look at this picture, his head is way off the floor and clearly restrained by the seat belts. Drivers have the ability to undo their own seat belts, there is nothing about being upside down that prevents you from undoing it, there is the same space in the cockpit as you would be the right way up. They manage it just fine all the other times, except when its procedure not to like in the crash this weekend.

To quote myself:

If it was a risk of neck or spinal injury they would have cut from from the car and not flipped it back over.

Soldato
To add to all the people criticising the martial's speed getting to the incident you can clearly see from this new angle from the crowd video they didn't enter the track until the medical car had stopped. You can see them lined up by the gap in the barriers and as soon as the medical car passed them they followed it onto the track.

Something about track side safety comes to mind and only entered a live track when it was clear and safe to do so. The last thing you want is a martial being run over by the medical car going full pelt :rolleyes:.

Caporegime
Look at this picture, his head is way off the floor and clearly restrained by the seat belts. Drivers have the ability to undo their own seat belts, there is nothing about being upside down that prevents you from undoing it, there is the same space in the cockpit as you would be the right way up. They manage it just fine all the other times, except when its procedure not to like in the crash this weekend.

The thing that stops you undoing a seat belt when you are upside down is that it is under heavy load. Catches are not not designed to unlock when under heavy load. It's the same with most catches, for a simple example try undoing the buckle on the belt holding up your jeans while someone pulls on it as hard as they can.

Soldato
That may be the case but that's a very different problem to 'my head is pancaked against the tarmac so I can't get out' as Deuse describes.

I still don't buy it though, the drivers are strapped in very tightly under normal circumstances so the seat belt is under tension and releases fine. The drivers are also required to be able to exit the car under their own steam in an emergency, that includes the scenario of an upside down burning fireball car.

Whiting said they tested rolling a car with a halo to make sure a diver could get out, surely not being able to undo the seat belt would have come up there...

https://www.racefans.net/2018/11/25/halo-did-not-delay-hulkenberg-extraction-after-crash-whiting/

Whiting even said the halo actually gives more space for a driver to escape.

“Quite clearly it’s one of the sort of accidents that Halo was designed to help with because formally I mean it provides more space for the driver once the car is upside down.

“You may have seen some of the tests we did during the prove-out phase of the Halo involved putting the car on its top with a Halo and making sure the driver could actually get out of the car. That was one of the things we wanted to make sure was still possible.”

Oh and Whiting also said

“The routine under those circumstances is to put the car back on its wheels. Once the car was back on its wheels, which has to be done carefully of course, he was able to get out by himself. It was very controlled from what I could see. Our medical delegate was more than happy with the way it was done. It all worked exactly as it should.”

Then there is the fact Hulk didn't even try to escape on his own...

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2018...rg-opening-lap-roll-halo-a-help-or-hindrance/

“I don’t know, to be honest right now, if the halo blocked me or not,” said Hulkenberg.

“To the right I had the barrier anyway and then there was a very small gap.

“You know when you are upside down, it’s not so easy to find all the buttons and all the things because everything feels very different.

“It was the first time for me also to end up in the car on the roof. I was just sitting tight waiting for the marshals and they reacted very quickly and got me out.”

Can we put this to bed now please?

Soldato
What are you on about? The roll hoop is there to stop a drivers head pancaking on the tarmac in the event of a flip. If his head hit the floor as you describe he would have had a serious concussion, spinal injuries or worse. Hulk walked away without a scratch (except perhaps to his ego).

I am talking about the failo not the roll bar.
Please keep up :)

If there was a fire from burning oil. Because of the failo he would have been dead.

Don
I am talking about the failo not the roll bar.
Please keep up :)

If there was a fire from burning oil. Because of the failo he would have been dead.

"failo"... just shows your bias.

If there was a serious fire we don't know what the outcome would have been - Marshals trackside may have told him to try and get out of the car himself, Charlie Whiting or whoever may have told him over the radio to attempt to leave the car.

To say he would have been dead is a bit of a stretch.

Soldato
"failo"... just shows your bias.

If there was a serious fire we don't know what the outcome would have been - Marshals trackside may have told him to try and get out of the car himself, Charlie Whiting or whoever may have told him over the radio to attempt to leave the car.

To say he would have been dead is a bit of a stretch.

Lets look at the facts and not maybes.

Did the failo stop the hulk from getting out of car=YES fact.
With out the failo could the hulk get out of the car=Yes fact
The roll bar has always left space for the driver to get out.

Mags would have been slower getting out with a failo

Now imagine that upside down.
But I am glad the FIA are going redesign it.

Don
Soldato
Lets look at the facts and not maybes.
Yes, lets.

Did the failo stop the hulk from getting out of car=YES fact.
Even Hulkenberg himself says he didn't know as he didn't try, as they're advised. That much is a fact.

With out the failo could the hulk get out of the car=Yes fact
See above.

The roll bar has always left space for the driver to get out.
Pedro Diniz would argue that, as would several others over the years (Wehrlein, even Senna come to mind).

Mags would have been slower getting out with a failo

Now imagine that upside down.
But I am glad the FIA are going redesign it.
Why would the car be upside down?

Off the top of my head the last fuel leak due to a crash was back in 1989 - 30 years ago!

The halo is not going to go away until something equally effective while more aesthetically pleasing comes along - that might be two years away, it might be twenty, but the tiny potential of a fire serious enough to seriously harm a trapped driver is massively outweighed by the safety it does bring, as has been demonstrated twice this year already.

You ignorantly ranting about it isn't going to change anything.

Back
Top Bottom