Accidentally shifted to 2nd on the motorway

Soldato
Gone from a higher power auto for 6 years back to a low power manual, in stop start traffic it's a minor inconvenience, but I never realised how much I was missing the engagement it gives you.
Yes, shoving one lever with your foot and another with your hand goes back to the dawn of motoring, the only thing missing now is the handbrake fitted on the outside of the car :p

Associate
Yes, shoving one lever with your foot and another with your hand goes back to the dawn of motoring, the only thing missing now is the handbrake fitted on the outside of the car :p
Ironically that's not what matters, it's small things like rev matching, managing the power band and engine braking that just make driving more immersive, even at slower speeds.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Buy a Tesla and leave pleasurable driving to those that enjoy it :confused:

"I don't enjoy it so therefore it's ancient" just tells everyone you're a bit limited in your ability to think of others' perspectives tbh.

Soldato
Buy a Tesla and leave pleasurable driving to those that enjoy it :confused:

"I don't enjoy it so therefore it's ancient" just tells everyone you're a bit limited in your ability to think of others' perspectives tbh.

Not at all, each to his own etc. but no matter how you perceive it it is ancient technology.

I'm just pointing out that manual gearboxes are fast disappearing and the future is only automatic for mass production. I'm guessing that old manual cars will eventually go up in value so will always be around for enthusiasts if they can get fuel.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not at all, each to his own etc. but no matter how you perceive it it is ancient technology.

I'm just pointing out that manual gearboxes are fast disappearing and the future is only automatic for mass production. I'm guessing that old manual cars will eventually go up in value so will always be around for enthusiasts if they can get fuel.

Sadly they are a dying breed but they'll always have homes. Fuel will never be an issue, far too much demand for it. Synthetic fuels are already garnering quite a following.

Back
Top Bottom