Accidently "ran" a red light

Soldato
By mistake (misjudged) a traffic light and went through it as it was changing -or so I believe because I just can't remember, and I wouldn't deliberately run a red light. Anyhow, I have received a letter from the police stating they might prosecute or have me pay the £60.00 fine with 3 points. The thing is, I was out having a driving lesson with a friend, and on the insurance I am a named driver. The question is, is there a case for leaniency since the offence was accidental? I am not trying 2 get away with anything it's that it feels a little harsh as well as unlucky. I have not heard of a similar case like mine?

Soldato
Theres no such thing as accidently running a red light. You won't get caught 2 seconds after the light changes to red so its not like you misjudged it changing. Be a man and take it on the chin :)

Man of Honour
You don't accidently run red lights - you run read lights because you either ignore the amber, or you make a calculated decision to pass on amber even though the highway code states Amber = Stop and not 'Drop a cog, boot it, you can make it'.

Pay the fine.

Soldato
Running a red light is running a red light, whether you were out on a driving lesson or not.

I doubt they will be any more lenient... you should know that a red light means stop if you are in the driving seat. If you'd killed someone as a result of running a red, I dont think the fact that you were out on a driving lesson would be of any consellation to those affected.

You won't get caught 2 seconds after the light changes to red so its not like you misjudged it changing. Be a man and take it on the chin :)
Thought it was 3/4 of a second?

Jet

Jet

Soldato
Ask them to prove it first? With the picture evidence. If it turns out to be correct I wouldn't argue because to do so you would have to go to court and you risk a higher fine.

Soldato
I don't think there's any way out of a fine. Suggesting that you "accidentally" went through a red light is essentially admitting that you're a completely unsafe driver, I don't think it's any decent defence.

Don
red lights are generally a cut and dried case , the only excude that I have ever seen get you off is moving out of the way for emergency vehicles ( and they do check )

sorry but as I see it you have no chance

Soldato
Child killer tbh

I've run red lights by mistake myself because the priorities had changed so wasn't paying attention and just went straight through one because normally it would be green at that specific time, obviously I was wrong but lucky enough for there to be no camera :p

Just pay the fine and be more careful in future

Don
Kamerad said:
Theres no such thing as accidently running a red light. You won't get caught 2 seconds after the light changes to red so its not like you misjudged it changing. Be a man and take it on the chin :)

I thought it was usually 0.9 seconds

Soldato
Thought I got caught just over a month ago. No NIP yet though, so I guess I'm in the clear? The particular red light camera isn't on the Dorset council page which I thought was strange.

Soldato
i got caught speeding my a mobile camera doing 5mph over the limit on a driving lesson about 3 years ago now.

it was a right pain as the points start once you have past your test - meaning i had to watch my every move for 2 whole years otherwise i'd lose my last 3 points and go back to learner status :(

Soldato
jonno.co.uk said:
i got caught speeding my a mobile camera doing 5mph over the limit on a driving lesson about 3 years ago now.

it was a right pain as the points start once you have past your test - meaning i had to watch my every move for 2 whole years otherwise i'd lose my last 3 points and go back to learner status :(

I got caught speeding about 3 months after passing so had to be very careful for the next year and 9 months, should probably have been more careful considering the amount of times I nearly got caught

Commissario
Rotty said:
red lights are generally a cut and dried case , the only excude that I have ever seen get you off is moving out of the way for emergency vehicles ( and they do check )

sorry but as I see it you have no chance

Even that isn't a garuntee :(
I beleive most areas will check and probably wave it, but under the law there is no exemption and some areas will still go ahead :( (I think the great Car lover Ken Livingstone has encouraged the London area to prosecute anyway).

To the original poster, as others have said it's pretty much an absolute offence (no grey areas), and to run a red you have to have missed 3 seconds (or more) of orange, or been going to fast in the first place :(
I'm afraid that if they've got you on camera (ask for photographic evidences as they can/do make mistakes), you're facing a fine and points, taking it to court to argue it will probably just result in a larger fine (and costs), and possibly more points.

Associate
Sirrel Squirrel said:
I got caught speeding about 3 months after passing so had to be very careful for the next year and 9 months, should probably have been more careful considering the amount of times I nearly got caught

Surely it would pay to be careful all the time and not just when you've got points on your licence?!? :confused:

Soldato
I had this last night :( I wasnt concentrating, i will fully admit that, it was the dead of night and no one was around but thats no excuse. I didnt see a camera around there, is it likely i will have been caught, should i have noticed anything if i was?

Rob

Back
Top Bottom