Acer 8371/3810 Owners Thread

Associate
Yeah that was idle, after about 10 minutes of being on, with the fan at 30 percent.

Mine was idling around 40-42 in the older bios you modded.

Associate
Has anyone tested the gpu overclock with temperatures?

Whats the temperature reading of the ATI 4330 at stock clocks 450/600 when under load playing a game?

And then whats the temperature reading of the ATI 4330 overclocked @ 550/750 when under load playing a game?

Also what tool is people using to overclock ? They modding bios or using software in windows ? If so what?

Associate
dragonuk, will flash your bios with original fan settings later, as I flashed the original and not my own SLIC'ed version by mistake...
I'm really not sure what I want in the way of fan speed settings, as I am happy with the noise the laptop makes when it's fan is on, as it keeps it feeling cool and isn't heard over my desktop machine or wherever I happen to be with my laptop. I realise I'm in the minority here though, as a lot of people value silence over heat. I can only imagine all that heat sitting inside not getting exhausted will shorten the life of other components within the laptop...and a laptop with a 1.4GHz CULV CPU shouldn't feel warm when just pottering around the Internet! :p

The next step to reducing heat output, IMHO, is surprisingly under-volting. The chips are already under-volted but it's likely the volts can be pushed down further ;)

I've never considered gaming on a laptop...

Associate
Hi,

this modded bios sounds like a great improvement, so does it really change the behavious of the fan?? Cause with 1.27 at least for the 3810, it had apparently no effect on the fan speeds.

Also, is there a change to get the 3810t Version of Bios 1.28 or not yet??
Cheers

Associate
Has anyone tested the gpu overclock with temperatures?

Whats the temperature reading of the ATI 4330 at stock clocks 450/600 when under load playing a game?

And then whats the temperature reading of the ATI 4330 overclocked @ 550/750 when under load playing a game?

Also what tool is people using to overclock ? They modding bios or using software in windows ? If so what?

MSI Afterburner, couldnt get it to work for me though.

Soldato
type in "acer 8371" into the web part of google click on the shopping results part that offers it from £350 upwards, its that simple. have to say most people that ask where to find it clearly havent read the thread at all and cant search :o

Soldato
type in "acer 8371" into the web part of google click on the shopping results part that offers it from £350 upwards, its that simple. have to say most people that ask where to find it clearly havent read the thread at all and cant search :o

This! It really isn't hard to find at all. I think I've given out directions to it a few times already since finding it myself back at the end of October after seeing the posts by e36Adz. It's even on a popular discounts website (the one with the temperatures!)

Associate
I bought the 8371 with vista business. Its very slow to boot. Does anyone have any tips on making Vista faster (all my other machines are win7 so I find vista a bit odd, though its quite similar).
There is a lot of preinstalled junk.

Man of Honour
How about a Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid Drive to speed this up? Obviously though it seems you can have an SSD and a HDD so thats great but I've just ordered a Seagate Momentus XT for my HP Mini 311 (although I'm tempted to upgrade to the 8371) and its meant to give quicker performance overall, especially booting.

Man of Honour
Probably looking to order one of these tommorrow, before they increase in price! Just got a couple of queries, maybe not specific in particular to the laptop (8371).
1. Are there any major weaknesses of the laptop that I should be aware of?
2. DragonUK You mention being able to fit a WWAN 3G Card into the laptop, does this also require fitting antenna or are these pre-installed?
3. What is the build quality of the 8371 like? I expect as it is a business notebook that its likely to be good but is it plastic/metal? I expect its better built than the HP mini I want to replace!
4. What are sort of real-life battery figures people are getting? I know that 8+ is quoted by Acer but what are people really getting??

Soldato
Probably looking to order one of these tommorrow, before they increase in price! Just got a couple of queries, maybe not specific in particular to the laptop (8371).
1. Are there any major weaknesses of the laptop that I should be aware of?
2. DragonUK You mention being able to fit a WWAN 3G Card into the laptop, does this also require fitting antenna or are these pre-installed?
3. What is the build quality of the 8371 like? I expect as it is a business notebook that its likely to be good but is it plastic/metal? I expect its better built than the HP mini I want to replace!
4. What are sort of real-life battery figures people are getting? I know that 8+ is quoted by Acer but what are people really getting??

1. Haven't really noticed any weaknesses with it. It does exactly what I was expecting it too and for the price is outstanding! Only thing I can think of that I can use as a complaint is lack of hdmi out and no W7 pre-installed (neither of which are show stoppers by any means)

2. there is a connection and mounting slot for a WWAN card but no antenna's, you will have to fit these yourself

3. Build quality is excellent, mostly metal with some plastic. The chassis is all build around a metal frame and has like a tray running right under the keyboard that everything screws into which makes it feel very rigid.

4. Battery life is pretty much on-par with what Acer have quoted. Obviously it depends what you're doing with what kind of screen brightness etc but you can expect anywhere from 4-5 hours right upto 8+. I quite regularly get around 6-7 hours out of mine with light web browsing and working with Notepad++ with the screen brightness set to half

Back
Top Bottom