Acer 8371/3810 Owners Thread

Associate
Im interested in picking up one of these laptops, does anyone know of any decent deals around on them? Anyone doing clearance of them?

Is there a newer model equivalent of these out now?

Thanks

These are going on 3 years old now - check out hotukdeals.com for some laptop deals.

Soldato
Anyone know where I can get a new keyboard for an 8371 laptop? Spilt tea on current one and after drying it, some of the keys are going crazy so it's not usable at the moment. Everything else appears fine with it.

take the keyboard apart completely and let it dry out for a couple of days. My partner did this to her Dell laptop and we took every key off and also peeled off the top semiconductor layer as liquid had got under there which is what was causing some of the keys to go crazy.

Left it to dry and re-stuck it all back together and it's been fine ever since. The dell keyboard's top later had like an adhesive all over it which remained sticky once peeled off of the bottom layer. If the Acer one is the same just be sure not to get dust/hairs/crap stuck on it :)

Associate
I want to sell my Acer 8371, anyone here interested? There is an issue with the screen where a darker patch appears near the bottom when you move the screen, and also a small crack in the plastic near the joint (crack is superficial, doesnt affect structural performance). In UK.

If this is the wrong place to ask please accept my sincere apologies.

Associate
Morning guys,

Got a problem with my laptop last night. Was running off the battery and suddenly shut down.

Now, it will not turn on without the charger.

It is running ok with the charger. The light on the front shows blue for fully charged.

Never had a problem with the battery before.

I ran an energy report from windows and got the below.

Any assistance greatly appreciated as otherwise I'm not going to be able to move this "laptop"!

Cheers.

Scan Time 2013-06-23T08:33:56Z
Scan Duration 60 seconds
System Manufacturer Acer
System Product Name TravelMate 8371
BIOS Date 08/11/2010
BIOS Version V1.28
OS Build 7601
Platform Role PlatformRoleMobile
Plugged In true
Process Count 82
Thread Count 1183
Report GUID {011912fb-93e4-40b9-82e3-a285c9ae0fcd}

Battery:Battery Information
Battery ID 4A0ASMP-SDI28AS09D70
Manufacturer SMP-SDI28
Serial Number 4A0A
Chemistry LION
Long Term 1
Design Capacity 62160
Last Full Charge 51493
Platform Power Management Capabilities:Supported Sleep States
Sleep states allow the computer to enter low-power modes after a period of inactivity. The S3 sleep state is the default sleep state for Windows platforms. The S3 sleep state consumes only enough power to preserve memory contents and allow the computer to resume working quickly. Very few platforms support the S1 or S2 Sleep states.
S1 Sleep Supported false
S2 Sleep Supported false
S3 Sleep Supported true
S4 Sleep Supported true
Platform Power Management Capabilities:Adaptive Display Brightness is supported.
This computer enables Windows to automatically control the brightness of the integrated display.
Platform Power Management Capabilities:processor Power Management Capabilities
Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.
Group 0
Index 0
Idle (C) State Count 3
Performance (P) State Count 4
Throttle (T) State Count 8
Platform Power Management Capabilities:processor Power Management Capabilities
Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.
Group 0
Index 1
Idle (C) State Count 3
Performance (P) State Count 4
Throttle (T) State Count 8

Associate
If anybody else gets the problem I had above...

I had a custom BIOS from earlier in this thread. I had seen on another website that flashing with another BIOS may solve the issue.

I came to the conclusion (after flashing the 1.10 and later versions of the BIOS) that it didn't solve the problem.

A friend has an ACER and I tried their battery and it worked OK. So I guess the battery just died instantly for some unknown reason.

I've sourced another batter for approx £10 off eBay.

Associate
I could hex edit the bios for you if you wanted a different fan speed and if you let me know what you wanted.

Hi dragonuk, I am not sure you still read this post, but I really would love if you could mod a bios for me.

I have a 3810T with 1.28 original bios and I am afraid to "give a try" to every bios I found cause the first time I used a modded bios, my laptop went to the laptop's heaven :( It was under warranty and Acer replaced my motherboard. Now it is out of warranty, so I don't want to take any other risks.

I wish to MUTE this fan, so, can you please mod the stock bios 1.28 for 3810T without any other changes unless the fan behaviors?

It should be fine not to turn on the fun untill 45°C and from 45° to 55°C to run at 20%

The other two steps like stock bios.

Could you please do it for me?

Thanks in advantage!!!

Associate
If anybody else gets the problem I had above...

I had a custom BIOS from earlier in this thread. I had seen on another website that flashing with another BIOS may solve the issue.

I came to the conclusion (after flashing the 1.10 and later versions of the BIOS) that it didn't solve the problem.

A friend has an ACER and I tried their battery and it worked OK. So I guess the battery just died instantly for some unknown reason.

I've sourced another batter for approx £10 off eBay.

Same problem here, also fixed with a new battery.

Has anyone tried updating to Windows 10 (MS is apparently very keen for me to do so)?

Soldato
I would make sure you take an image of your current install before trying it, it may just work but at least you have a recovery point.

Caporegime
Mad I've had this thing for over 6 years now and apart from the screen going early on it's still going strong!

I've put an SSD in it and got W10 on and it's still really smooth. So impressed with how well it's held together over the years. :) :)

Associate
Not sure if anyone still has this laptop or the 3810 but if you do, I found a better modifed bios. Works for 3810 and 8371 models.
Bios is version 1.28

It was created by a russian person called mask89 and they seem to know a lot more what they are doing compared to me. So I think its better than my modded bios. I am using it personally.

Here is what it does:

* Unlocked hidden tab and Advanced Power InsydeH2O Setup Utility
* 3 modes of operation switchable graphics Switchable graphics / Intel Only / ATI Only
* Changed the temperature threshold for the fan and its speed (new Thermal Table)
* Updated NetworkBoot (PXE (http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/PXE)) BIOS network card Atheros AR8131 c v2.0.0.8 to v2.0.2.7
* Unlocked Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology (EIST) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpeedStep) for IDA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Dynamic_Acceleration) on 2 cores, using ThrottleStop
* Added temperature sensor chipset (GMCH) (displayed in the monitoring programs at a temperature> 40 ° C)
* Hardware acceleration of ATI 4330 up to 550/750 MHz for the core / memory
* Supports bootup from card reader
* Changed BootLogo (still says Acer just slightly different)
* Win 7 support (Slic 2.1)

To see all items, change the User Access Level option in the Security tab from Limited to Full.

For longer battery life, change BIOS Boot Performance Mode from Max Performance to Max Battery. A little slower loading the operating system, the performance of Windows when loaded is not affected!

There is 3 folders in the .zip you download. Each contains a bios. You only need to flash the one you want.

JM31_FAN - This is all the tweaks but without Graphics overclocking or booting from card reader
JM31_FAN_GPU-OC - Same as above but with added ATI Graphics overclocking
JM31_FAN_GPU-OC_CR - Same as above but with added support for booting from a card reader and ATI Graphics Overclocking

DOWNLOAD FOR TIMELINE 3810 -
http://rghost.net/5595411

DOWNLOAD FOR TRAVELMATE 8371 - http://rghost.net/5697221

Holy thread revival! I've just picked up an 8371G in MINT condition. Upgraded the RAM to 6Gb, installed a 256Gb SSD. Windows 10 runs like a champ on it. Thought I'd try 7 on it; its spec is perfect for a mid 2000s old gaming rig. I'd also like to mod the BIOS with the Russian BIOS, but I can't find any current mirrors for it. The original links are long gone, and while I found the Russian forum thread, it has the same links.

Is there any chance anyone here has a copy of the modded BIOS?

Thanks! :)

Back
Top Bottom