Acer 8371/3810 Owners Thread

Soldato
Yes, that's how I've always installed windows on netbooks/laptops without a dvd drive. You can even use the xbox 360 hd-dvd drive if you have one.

thanks

is it just a case of copying the files from the install disc to the usb disc and booting from that ?

also. do you think this is small enough, light enough to carry around traveling compared to the samsung NC10 ?

Soldato
Check this out: http://store.microsoft.com/help/iso-tool

You just need your W7 disk in ISO format and as chris10230 said, a 4gb USB stick that is formatted in fat32.

Imgburn is a good tool to turn your W7 disk into an ISO if it isn't allready: http://www.imgburn.com/

This link may also be useful if you have errors/issues during the copying process as it tells you how to format the memory stick the correct way using diskpart: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd535816.aspx

You may also find that it will install W7 faster this way than using the disk (USB cd-drives tend to be a bit slower than a standard drive anyway). I had W7 pro installed within about 10 minutes on my 8371 with the SSD in it

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sorry Paul, I thought you meant an external usb dvd drive! But yeah you can also definately use a usb stick, I think a few of the users on here did it that way and should be able to help.

It is not as small as the nc10 but it is slim, quite light and I would definately call it portable.

Man of Honour
Sorry Paul, I thought you meant an external usb dvd drive! But yeah you can also definitely use a usb stick, I think a few of the users on here did it that way and should be able to help.

It is not as small as the nc10 but it is slim, quite light and I would definitely call it portable.

I'd second this it is very portable and light especially for a Business Laptop, my work Dell Latitude feels like carrying a Battleship around v the Acer.

Soldato
Sorry Paul, I thought you meant an external usb dvd drive! But yeah you can also definately use a usb stick, I think a few of the users on here did it that way and should be able to help.

It is not as small as the nc10 but it is slim, quite light and I would definately call it portable.

thanks

i did mean a DVD drive..

i was deciding if i should buy one or not.

but seems that its easy to install from a USB drive, so i wont bother for now with a DVD drive

Soldato
I'd second this it is very portable and light especially for a Business Laptop, my work Dell Latitude feels like carrying a Battleship around v the Acer.

thanks

im wanting to take it traveling around India for a month :) and sell my NC10

edit:

just ordered it.. thanks for you help guys.. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Also with it being a business laptop, the build quality really is excellent! It feels solid and I find the keyboard a very good size and great to use.

I've owned it for quite awhile now and there is still no alternative that I would choose over this, normally after afew weeks/months of owning something you always find a better deal - I still think this is the best deal out there for a 13.3" machine.

Pros:

Build Quality
Keyboard
Screen
Spec
Ease of Upgrade
Ease of Overclocking
Battery Life
Size
Weight

Cons:

Speakers
Lack of HDMI

Start saving for a SSD mate :D

Man of Honour
Also with it being a business laptop, the build quality really is excellent! It feels solid and I find the keyboard a very good size and great to use.

I've owned it for quite awhile now and there is still no alternative that I would choose over this, normally after afew weeks/months of owning something you always find a better deal - I still think this is the best deal out there for a 13.3" machine.

Pros:

Build Quality
Keyboard
Screen
Spec
Ease of Upgrade
Ease of Overclocking
Battery Life
Size
Weight

Cons:

Speakers
Lack of HDMI

Start saving for a SSD mate :D

Lack of HDMI is an issue although I could never get it to work right with my netbook so ended up using the VGA anyway, I was concerned about the speakers as the HP Mini 311 I've been using has Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers which I thought sounded really good but to be honest the speakers on the Acer seem as good if maybe a little quieter, I usually have a set of portable iPod speakers with me anyway!

Soldato
well, not to bothered about hdmi

and i have travel speakers to take with

SSD will have to wait though

any case recommendations ?

edit:

just ordered a neoprene one off the bay for £8

Last edited:
Associate
Some people are asking how to install win7 with no CD drive.
I did it about two weeks ago now when i got the 8371 but from memory:

Requirements to install Windows 7 on USB: a 4gb USB pen and the win7 CD or ISO image

Plug in USB pen (make sure you don't need any of its data, as we will be formatting it).
Go to command prompt
type DISKPART
Next type LIST DISK
Make note of the USB disks number, in the below i use 1 as a example, type the following:
SELECT DISK 1
CLEAN
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
SELECT PARTITION 1
ACTIVE
FORMAT FS=NTFS
ASSIGN
EXIT
Now copy all files from your CD or ISO onto the drive.

That should work

Soldato
Acer's website has all the W7 drivers you will need..... IIRC, most things install themselves, but the fingerprint reader, the ATi driver and one or two others will require a trip to the oh-so-speedy Acer support site ;)

Soldato
it's also worth noting that you NEED to use the ATI drivers from the Acer webby because they contain the switchable profiles and other bits that the standard ATI drivers don't have

Back
Top Bottom