Acer BIOS Update

Permabanned
So, I have the Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42 https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7605?b=1

I have just received a brand new PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD XPG Gammix S11 Pro, installed it and for my scare, it isn't being detected by the laptop.
After going to BIOS, I see SATA 0 and SATA 1 (AHCI) being enabled.

According to some people, it has to support both SATA and PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe SSDs. https://community.acer.com/en/discu...gt-support-both-sata-and-nvme-in-the-m-2-slot
But mine doesn't.

Why? :( :confused:

Can Acer release a new BIOS activating the M.2 slot to work properly?

It's frustrating because it is with Radeon dual graphics and x16 lanes go unused for the integrated Radeon, while I cann't use my precious new SSD.

Also, why the M.2 slot has no back window with one screw like the 2.5" drive back window and the memory back window?
This thing has 20 screws to be removed before getting access to the M.2 slot. :mad: :o

I am not happy with Acer because the other Nitro 5 with intel processors do support PCIe NVMe SSDs.

Associate
I did some reading and as far as i can tell your laptop only supports Sata M.2 drives and not PCIe, its not a bios issue it's a physical hardware limitation.

The problem is that various third party sites list it as having a sata/pcie m.2 slot but the official Acer spec sheet lists it as sata only.

Associate
From Notebookcheck :-

"
Storage Solution
Nonetheless, there would still be some room for improvement in terms of the storage solution. While the integrated solid state drive from SK Hynix comes close to the SATA-III limits during sequential reads (471 MB/s), the Nitro 5 shows weaknesses during sequential writes. 127 MB/s are rather mediocre and are closer to an HDD. With the Micron SSD of the Aspire 5, Acer proves that things can be done better, and the Xiaomi Mi Pro i5 and the Lenovo IdeaPad 720 play in an even higher league, thanks to PCIe technology. Both competing devices easily crack the 1000 MB mark in the sequential test of the AS SSD benchmark."

Permabanned
OP
What did Acer say when you asked them?

I didn't approach Acer..... But several days ago they released a new BIOS adding a feature to control the keyboard LED lights duration.

I think they are working on new BIOSes even now, let's hope they release one to enable proper M.2 support.

I am not going to put an M.2 SATA SSD. They can forget it.

From Notebookcheck :-
While the integrated solid state drive from SK Hynix comes close to the SATA-III limits during sequential reads (471 MB/s), the Nitro 5 shows weaknesses during sequential writes. 127 MB/s are rather mediocre and are closer to an HDD.

:mad:

Back
Top Bottom