Acer G24 Screen

Soldato
Hi all.

Well I have purchased the G24 (yes the orange monitor). For a System for my father (not myself)

I would like to comment on the quality of it.

I have found that this monitor blows away any other monitor I have seen. The colour depth is amazing.

I tried the monitor on my own setup prior to using it on the new system. My current system is a E8400, 4GB OCZ RAM, IP35-Pro and a 2900XT. Well my current screen was a CIBOX - I always thought this monitor was good - how wrong was I. The CIBOX had the same pic quality as my previous screen also - the Samsung 913N 19inch.
I plugged the new G24 into my GFX card, at first the picture was poor - I tried to change the resolution to the native resolution of the G24 - gone from a 22inch to 24inch - so a change of native res..
Well Vista didnt give me the choice of 1900 x 1200, so I rebooted.

After the reboot - I thought this is crap - the picture was not clear, grainy etc.

I tried the driver disk - installed the software, the PC wanted to reboot, so I rebooted. I had to set the resolution again.

Omg - the MSN box had colours I had never seen before. The colour was so rich - a little bright though, I spend 5 mins playing with the settings, mainly tweeking the brightness and contrast, and I had an amazing picture. Next thought "games? I wonder how that looks" So I loaded up Crysis, WoW, and Grid.

And again, I got the best picture I've ever seen. All the games I have been playing lately now seemed like I was previously playing them through a set of googles whilst in a tank full of water - the image was so much more crisp. The text in games was by far the best improvement, the text previously now seems like it was jagged, and very unclear - no more though, the picture is pixel perfect, in wow especially (but it uses standard Windows font the other games use thicker text - not 1 pixel wide), the different chat channels are so much easier to spot - the guild chat and officer chat is actually a very different shade of green on screen - I always though the guild and officer chat colour was the same, how wrong was I? Ghosting? Whats that, I didn't have any ghosting whatsoever.

Get one! I know I'm going to get one ASAP for myself :)

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Hi there

I can back up Ace Modders claims, having seen the Acer G24W in action I can confirm once you get the settings correct it is easily the best TN based panel on the market picture quality, response and viewing angles, seems Acer did some special work on this and pulled it off.

Is it better than PVA panels, well yes its better than some, colours and image quality are definetely superior to a lot of the cheaper PVA's on the market such as the Digimate and Yuraku.

However if I was spending such money I would always try to stretch to something like the DELL 2408WFP which is a great all round monitor and then their is the Hyundai PVA panel OcUK have at a very good price which beats the Acer on viewing angles, but the Acer trumps it on colours and build quality.

I've used pretty much every monitor out there and upto now my favourite is the new NEC GX3 24" it will is the best 24" I have used but it has a matching price tag, I would then say the HP2475w, followed by Hazro and then the DELL 2408WFP. However those are all quite expensive in comparison to the Acer and as the Acer is TN based some gamers preferre them due to very quick 2ms response time they offer and generally lower input lag.

Associate
Hi there

I can back up Ace Modders claims, having seen the Acer G24W in action I can confirm once you get the settings correct it is easily the best TN based panel on the market picture quality, response and viewing angles, seems Acer did some special work on this and pulled it off.

Is it better than PVA panels, well yes its better than some, colours and image quality are definetely superior to a lot of the cheaper PVA's on the market such as the Digimate and Yuraku.

However if I was spending such money I would always try to stretch to something like the DELL 2408WFP which is a great all round monitor and then their is the Hyundai PVA panel OcUK have at a very good price which beats the Acer on viewing angles, but the Acer trumps it on colours and build quality.

I've used pretty much every monitor out there and upto now my favourite is the new NEC GX3 24" it will is the best 24" I have used but it has a matching price tag, I would then say the HP2475w, followed by Hazro and then the DELL 2408WFP. However those are all quite expensive in comparison to the Acer and as the Acer is TN based some gamers preferre them due to very quick 2ms response time they offer and generally lower input lag.

Sorry to go OFF topic.
Gibbo we are dying for a couple of pictures of the NEC NEC GX3 24" ;)

OcUK Staff
Sorry to go OFF topic.
Gibbo we are dying for a couple of pictures of the NEC NEC GX3 24" ;)

HI there

You mean pictures of it on my desk?

I shall see what I can sort but any pictures/review is something Badass can do far better and with any luck we he will get one at some point soon.

Also stock arrives Monday for the GX3 and we have got our price down, but thats the lowest it will go as NEC refuse to drop lower, but I do have to admit I have not seen a better quality panel out there. :)

Associate
Thanks for your thoughts on the G24 guys, I have been following this monitor for a while,
Its very hard to buy on just talk on forums/internet as you can not beat a hands on approach.
My Birthday this month so i will buy G24 very soon, Question Can my HD2900XT run that monitor at 1920 X 1200

Soldato
Been mulling over a new monitor for a while now and think I'm going to plump for this one.

It's a toss up between this and the Dell S2409W which is £80 cheaper.

Just trying to decide on which I want most 16:10 or 16:9??

Soldato
Been mulling over a new monitor for a while now and think I'm going to plump for this one.

It's a toss up between this and the Dell S2409W which is £80 cheaper.

Just trying to decide on which I want most 16:10 or 16:9??

Why would you intentionally have less viewing space on your monitor? :)

Associate
Well just bought one. Should arrive tomorrow. Can't wait :)

Just hope my 8800gts 640mb can cope with running war at 1920 X 1200 !

Associate
Well its just arrived, using it straight out of the box. Not spotted any dead pixels yet. All this desktop space is confusing me :p

Associate
Loving it so far. But my old monitor was a 17 inch crt ;]

Not had any ghosting effects that i can see. Only been playing WAR on it though.

Wish I'd invested sooner ;]

Back
Top Bottom