** Acme [Akagi] bought a pink estate car - E30 325i project log! **

zsdiLt0.jpg

Cleaned out the other arch, seam sealed and primered, stone chip and chassis paint to go on top still...

XpfjqGI.jpg

c2ZXEBn.jpg

8sFsx5p.jpg

Found more rot (surprise surprise!)

bD4uHFQ.jpg

YVgyPeS.jpg

zSBmalQ.jpg

Oooh shiny! Also featuring Hovis. :cool:

rKHQZrQ.jpg

Those are dinky! Good purchase with the Meyle's btw, they're common upgrade choice for my 850 too - in fact my lower arms are Meyle HD, and they'll be my go-to in the future too.

I'd also never noticed how poor the colour match between wing and doors was - amazing how much variation there can be even within the same paint code... Mine's the same, 421 has about seven different colours, with colour varying from factory to factory, throughout the years and throughout the painters at each factory.

The whole rust replacement procedure you're going through is insane - I'd be bricking it every time the welder came, paranoid that yet another spot would be found :eek: Glad you're doing it properly though, keep it up (doing things properly, I mean :p).

There is that much variation because the front wings are not the same paint code! :p

They were until recently. The original wings got binned because they were rotten. And the photoshopped image above included an edit to change the tone of the front wings. (in the original pic they matched!) :)

Good to hear the Meyle HD stuff is supposed to be good! I just bought them cos they were a good price and I recognised the brand.

The rust replacement procedure wasn't planned, I keep finding more... Finding it all is my job, I just pay him to melt metal! Every now and then I find another bit that the screwdriver goes through, then out comes the rot pick and I turn it into a nice big hole... :eek:

Last edited:
Makes much more sense...! eBay do some great prices on Meyle stuff, especially the larger German sellers (think one is ATP-carparts or something similar) who can get you the parts within 3 days.

I'd honestly stop looking, definitely be too paranoid at this stage to be poking at it haha.

Figured it out, its had 16 seperate bits welded up now, and theres another 5 left to go...

I think a measurable percentage of it is new metal at this point... :p

Seam sealing is now nearly complete... Next step, stone chip and chassis black paint... Then bodywork. My dear Nan has kindly given me some money to get it finished, despite my protestations that I can afford it etc :p

So I think I may put that to use by taking it to a bodyshop to do the skimming and sanding... :)

New radiator now on the way, brand new Nissens one. I think the water pump and thermostat should be OK because they were done along with the timing belt about 6000 miles ago.

Intend to flush the system out and fit the new radiator. Might be beneficial to replace some hoses too!

Cavity waxed the inside of the sills with some fancy nancy Ditrinol stuff thats too expensive for its own good.

Also stone chipped the inner arches and painted with chassis black, as well as stone chipping the sill lips and spraying them with chassis black as well.

Front end of the car is now attached properly, and I've done the panel gaps etc.

[pic removed]

PEPVfmZ.jpg

i0y4tTm.jpg

Last edited:
Oh and I fixed my wobbly headlight and filled a hole in the scuttle with some seam sealer to stop water from getting into the cabin. That bit can stay there til re-spray time cos the screen will need to come out.

MOT time is getting ever closer... Bit more welding, bit of filling and sanding, bit of painting, put the exhaust on, put the interior back together, done. :)

Today then... Inner rear arch finished. :)

Started by emptying out the car and hoovering it out and cleaning off all the parts that have been living in it, and finding various things... Putting them in bags, and putting it all back... :p

[pic removed]

Dave-o hard at work...

edACEsJ.jpg

Boot pocket

H7g7cVM.jpg

MBewuTt.jpg

gvWCjcm.jpg

Inner

N9zP0b9.jpg

0yBF8M0.jpg

KdYnKUN.jpg

zZRJQCj.jpg

aUe0qGl.jpg

73Qz0tC.jpg

Seam sealed and primered...

UEB87Ns.jpg

Aaaaaaaaand then instead of leaving the primer to dry overnight, I had the bright idea of spraying the stonechip on top when it was touch try... Leading to the stonechip reacting with the primer, and then I had to spend ages scraping and wire wheeling to get everything off, including the seam sealer (which I have run out of) - So now I'm left with this mess, and more seam sealer on order.......

cQnK4Vj.jpg

MLUkW3B.jpg

6R8rx20.jpg

Re seam seal and then stone chip, will skip the primer, its not really needed under stone chip paint... Whats left is all rock hard and bone dry and wont even come off with a wire wheel on a drill, so I've brushed it out and will do the necessary work over the top. :o

Oh and RIP exhaust heat shield.

rNIDoJR.jpg

Last edited:
Scuttle rot ground and patched.

nNzetfF.jpg

PUsliOP.jpg

Other arch bottom chopped and patched.

M1CYIYB.jpg

N2JZVWj.jpg

And arch re-stone chipped.

T9iBdtE.jpg

This concludes Acme's welding adventures... Until I find more.

Next is Acme's filling adventures... :o

Oh and my Momo steering wheel boss kit came. And then I realised that Nardi's have a different bolt pattern... So now I've ordered an adapter...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom