Actually quite excited !!

Associate
Having vsync enabled drives me mad so there is no way I could live with the say 50ms input lag a service like this would have. I also game in 1900x1200 which I doubt would work with our 3-4mb conn

Associate
so much for pc gamming dying, if this takes off it will kill off consoles allot quicker and we all might as well sell our i7s and 5870s now while there still worth something for celerons and gmas!

Soldato
If only this work out for the US I'd be the first adopter once it rolls out in the UK and Europe. Technically if you can't be further than a 1000 miles away the UK only really need one data farm. Then again, once all OCUK gamers jump on that we'd burn out that centre in an hour.

Associate
Having vsync enabled drives me mad so there is no way I could live with the say 50ms input lag a service like this would have. I also game in 1900x1200 which I doubt would work with our 3-4mb conn

a 720p stream is 5Mbps so your looking at all most double I'd expect around 8-10Mbps

Soldato
This is good tech, just a bit to early I think. Client server models are the way to go for businesses at the moment (my job deals with me implementing such architecture at the moment). It makes sense in business.

Of course it makes sense from the business's point of view, but it offers absolutely no benefit to the consumer, who now requires an anways on, low contention high bandwidth connection, is subject to server outages and attacks, and takes control of games and savegames away.

May it crash from a great height.

Associate
We should be sceptical, but I am actually somewhat excited by this as well. I'll never stop buying hardware but I'm looking forward to finally being able to play with some of my mac friends. Tempted to try it myself as well. I think if marketed correctly this could have a handy audience.

Associate
I'd like to add also if your using 5Mbps for 720p and when they make a jump to 1080p close to 10Mbps, how will it affect other devices/computers on the network it will wipe them out, so if somebody needs to use another computer in your house for some online work they'd be screwed and you'd have to stop playing, lammmeee

Caporegime
What i do not understand is that it is in no way cheaper :confused:

If you have to pay £10 a month then even after 2 years you have spent the same amount as the price of a ps3/360 elite e.t.c.

and normally consoles go on for 4/5 years or more.

I don't see how this is in anyway better than what we already have.

Associate
What i do not understand is that it is in no way cheaper :confused:

If you have to pay £10 a month then even after 2 years you have spent the same amount as the price of a ps3/360 elite e.t.c.

and normally consoles go on for 4/5 years or more.

I don't see how this is in anyway better than what we already have.

Plus you don't know how much the games will be on top, sure they might be like retail discs usually £25 because your already paying the £120 a year but it might be expensive to run so the games could be £35 similar to what steam prices are like

Associate
Most of you are basing this on the horrible internet service in the UK. While the situation is not much better most places in America, this could very easily take off big time in Asia and here in Scandinavia. If they place servers in the UK and somewhere like Hungary, they'll have access to most of Europa with low latency.

I was a skeptic of this for a long time but the technology itself seems brilliant and most people are purely trying to make excuses for their own poor choice of ISP.

Soldato
Well lucky you. Sadly if you lived in the UK you would understand. There is a lot of ISPs out in there but hardly any of them deliver what they say they can.

I am meant to have a 16mb line with unlimited dls. I get the unlimited dls but I only see maybe 6mb of that line (if that) at peak times that will drop to 3-4mb because naturally more people are using it. Can I control that ? no Can the ISP control that ? I dunno but I think the answer will be no.

Once we all have fibre lines all will be grand till then bugger it to hell.

Back
Top Bottom