Actually quite excited !!

Soldato
It will never kill off the PC, precisely because it's all about having everything in the cloud. There will always be a significant % that want local storage and control, and don't want to be dependant on cloud computing, and slaved to the DRM and rules it will enforce.

Whether we'll have any games to play is another question entirely, but we'll still have PCs :)

Associate
Surely the costs involved for them are going to be gargantuan to get this working? It's going to have to be very popular to make money.

Regarding the compression, I'm sure even the creators admit it's going to have occasional artifacts.

Do remember though that we're not the target audience. They're not expecting us to like the idea.

Associate
Let's see, I will see the following changes if moving to this platform:

1) Instead of a one-off price for a new game, I will also have to pay for a monthly subscription.
2) Instead of lag-free single player games, I'll get to worry about ping for those as well.
3) Instead of a nice crisp 2560 x 1600 image I will get sub-console resolution, probably with lag/compression artifacts.
4) Instead of my games being installed safely on my hard disk, I will be at the mercy of my ISP's service and fair use policies and the content provider's servers.

ooh, sign me up :)

Caporegime
This certainly isnt going to be for me.

I need a good pc with a good CPU and decent amount of ram for my audio mixing/composing work anyway and i would just rather buy a decent graphics card than spend £10 a month just for the privilage of renting games.

Associate
In fairness they have some big companies supporting it in this developement stage I even saw Bioware considering it for ME2 and Dragon Age. If a system like this worked I think that game developers will love it. It will allow them direct access to their market, this system lends itself very well to delivering DLC and additional content which developers are considering more and more and are very keen to exploit.

1st of all I think it is too early but if the system actually works (ie it plays for joe bloggs at a decent standard and is costed well) it could have a very high take up. You pay to play the game when you want to, after a while they make some DLC getting people to rent it out further. They release a shiney new weapon or new racing game tracks etc which you pay a 1 off fee to access etc etc, the money making opportunities are endless and they can push it right in your face! And all of this without having to worry about Microsoft/Sony console publishing rules.

Man of Honour
I guess it would work for mmos - but most of the advantages are lost there any how - people are already paying a monthly fee, have to connect to the server backend to play, etc. etc.

Back
Top Bottom