Advice for down the line - commuter car 20k miles a year

Soldato
OP
I was in a similar scenario 6 months ago OP.

New job, 35k miles a yea. I ended up with a 2007 Jetta TDI DSG, 1 Owner, 49k miles for £3000

The 1.9 PD engines are nigh on indestructible.
I was thinking of jettas too. How’s the quietness/comfiness? And also what sort of mpg do you get?

Man of Honour
I was thinking of jettas too. How’s the quietness/comfiness? And also what sort of mpg do you get?

I can happily do my 75 each way mile commute without getting out of it sore, tired of annoyed.

I've averaged 52MPG so far over 24,000miles, best around 56MPG but it has been creeping up with the warmer weather.

Journey is a couple of miles town then 20 miles of Dual carriage way then ~50 miles M40 in the morning, then 20ish miles of M25, 55 miles M1

Man of Honour
335d /thread

I think people underestimate how tedious commuting of any real distance is in a smaller, manual, vehicle. Since moving to a larger engine automatic it is amazing how much stress it has taken out of my day that I didn't even really know was there.

Soldato
OP
I think people underestimate how tedious commuting of any real distance is in a smaller, manual, vehicle. Since moving to a larger engine automatic it is amazing how much stress it has taken out of my day that I didn't even really know was there.
Yeah this is the mentality I have. But I'd rather spend less. Jetta DSG sounds like a good bet.

Soldato

Totally I'm fresh so much more than I was driving my manual e46 before. Like a lot more fresh

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
335d /thread
Same sort of line as this, i happily do my 25k/year commute in an E350 Merc Cabriolet (3l v6). I wouldnt want to go as low as some of the suggestions in this thread, that is for sure. It hardly costs much extra to run something half reasonable.

You could even scale it down to the 4 pots such as a 520d or E220, then you'd have a very economical commuter, but that to me would be a minimum bar for proper usage. I dont see that running anything worse would be worth the saving.

Soldato
Same sort of line as this, i happily do my 25k/year commute in an E350 Merc Cabriolet (3l v6). I wouldnt want to go as low as some of the suggestions in this thread, that is for sure. It hardly costs much extra to run something half reasonable.

You could even scale it down to the 4 pots such as a 520d or E220, then you'd have a very economical commuter, but that to me would be a minimum bar for proper usage. I dont see that running anything worse would be worth the saving.

Even a 520d could be woeful not sure what the new ones are like. The ability to move along at effortless speed and then overtake quickly in a heart beat all adds to the ease of the journey.

Cabin noise is another one that used to tire me out probably more than anything else. A quiet cabin mixed with big power on the motorway and lots of AC. I always have my AC on.

Soldato
I can't believe cars like a 520d are being described as 'woeful' in a thread about what car to get for trundling along A road dual carriageways and motorways.

Just how much power do people need to sit at 70 on cruise control? :p

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Even a 520d could be woeful not sure what the new ones are like. The ability to move along at effortless speed and then overtake quickly in a heart beat all adds to the ease of the journey.

Cabin noise is another one that used to tire me out probably more than anything else. A quiet cabin mixed with big power on the motorway and lots of AC. I always have my AC on.
Dont agree there, while i choose to stick with the 6cyl models and enjoy having a bit of power, the 4 pots in these sort of cars (520d, E220) do the job perfectly well and make very good motorway cars. They are not for me personally but i can see that not everyone wants to fuel the thirstier 6cyl models.

Soldato
It was the newest thing that I could buy that met the criteria and budget.

Comfortable is relative too. Sure if i had spent any decent amount of time driving something like a 5 series it'd be crap.

But my reference point for 1hr30 minute comfort was a modified MX5
I can't believe cars like a 520d are being described as 'woeful' in a thread about what car to get for trundling along A road dual carriageways and motorways.

Lots Pls

Soldato

Boring car = even more boring commute :/

As someone who is in to cars, I just couldn't do the daily drive in a rep mobile. I'd rather do it in a Caterham, through winter, than a 2.0 diesel.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
For me the sweet spot is around 150 BHP/ton for commuting - anything below about 120 BHP/ton feels lethargic and you don't really get much use out of power much beyond that - then it is just about engine response, how it sounds and feels to drive - beyond that you are best keeping it for the track.

Back
Top Bottom