Advice on breaking into IT with poor work/education history

I see your point and I sometimes worry about that myself. However, for a lot of reasons I've decided that making my actual "dream" into a main source of income just wouldn't be viable, at least for now, which is why I feel the need to get into a more potentially lucrative career and IT just happens to fit the bill.

Re: Linux specifically, I wanted to go down that road because I understood it was a potentially quite lucrative niche and I do enjoy installing and using it. Plus, just on a moral level I really respect the ideals behind open source software like that, especially compared to how Microsoft and Apple seem to be treating their respective OSes these days.

To me, that all sounds like as good a reason as any to pursue it as a career when it's already my "get a day job" option, but if you're saying I need to be somebody who really eats sleeps and breathes Linux to get anywhere in the field then yeah that might be a problem actually. I'm still for sure studying for the MS-900 (decided against the AZ-900 at Josh's reccomendation, it really does seem like it covers a lot of the same stuff anyway) and going for tech support jobs but I'll hold off on committing to Linux until I know more about what working with it professionally would entail.

Once again, thanks for the advice everybody. You've all been a massive help.

Back
Top Bottom