Advice on gaming PC (to play Planet Coaster)

Associate
I've got very little experience in computer hardware. However, I've been looking at buying my first gaming PC, specifically to play Planet Coaster and The Sims 4 on high settings (though the latter is far less demanding), potentially for Photoshop too. I'd also like it to be good for the next 5-10 years (wishful thinking?) so that I can play similar games in the future without having to invest loads in upgrading it or buying a new system for the sake of one or two games. I mainly use the PS4 for most other games.

As I understand it, it's cheaper to buy pre-built gaming PCs than building your own these days. I've come across this ASUS one which has i5 processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD and Geforce GTX 1060 6GB graphics card for £760. This is pretty much the top of my budget, and a lot more than I had wanted to spend - but for a decent gaming PC to handle these simulation type games that can last me years I could justify it. ASUS G11CD-K-UK037T

There's also this one which seems pretty much identical apart from it has the slightly more inferior Geforce GTX 1050 2GB graphics card, although it does benefit from an additional SSD drive on top of the HDD which the more expensive one does not have. ASUS G11CD-UK034T
It's also cheaper at £610.

So my question is would either of those two be good investments for a first gaming PC? Out of the two which would you advise?

Also, these both have i5 processors. I've seen others with i7 processors - would it make much of a difference, or is the i5 likely to suffice?

As I said, I'm not very knowledgeable on PC specs, but I've done a bit of research, though I want to be sure a PC I end up buying will actually do the job!

Last edited:
First thing, remove those links because of forum rules otherwise a moderator will remove your links.

Planet coaster has frames per second issues because people report low frames per second when the park gets big with over 2,000 people in the game this will be affecting anyone who plays that game no matter how powerful the personal computer is.

You will get more bang for your money if you build a pc yourself.

edited to correct spelling.

So you want a pc to last you sometime i figure your maximum budget will be £800-£1000 yeah for the tower alone?

Anyways what is your maximum money budget?

Being realistic pc hardware is not cheap varying on the hardware.. 800-1000 pounds is a decent budget for the tower alone.

Upgrading pc parts like the graphics card and the cpu/processor over time will be your best bet.

I will do a pre built list.

First thing, remove those links because of forum rules otherwise a moderator will remove your links.

Planet coaster has frames per second issues because people report low frames per second when the park gets big with over 2,000 people in the game this will be affecting anyone who plays that game no matter how powerful the personal computer is.

You will get more bang for your money if you build a pc yourself.

edited to correct spelling.
I've read a lot of people's opinions which seem contradict each other about this. Some people say you're better off building it yourself, others say that this is no longer true (due to inflation of graphics cards and RAM I believe and manufacturers of pre-built PCs get them cheaper)

I'd originally given myself a budget of £500 - but it doesn't seem likely I can get something great for this. £750 is about the maximum I want to spend, with the first PC I listed maxing that out.

Okay so a already built pc done by Overclockers uk please take a look at this pc > https://www.overclockers.co.uk/tita...-amd-ryzen-1400-system-3.60ghz-fs-094-og.html and customise it.

edit

My basket at Overclockers UK:
  • 1 x Titan Tanto Micro ATX Gaming PC - AMD Ryzen 1400 system @ 3.60GHz = £736.97
    • Build Time:Standard Build Systems - Dispatched within 7 working days
    • Lighting:Unwanted
    • Optical Drive:OcUK 24x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM
    • Operating System:Microsoft Windows 10 64-Bit DVD - OEM (MS-KW9-00139)
    • Sound Card:Unwanted
    • Primary Solid State Drive / Hard Drive:Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD - *System Stock*
    • Secondary Solid State Drive / Hard Drive:Unwanted
    • Storage Mechanical Hard Drive:Unwanted
    • WIFI:Unwanted
    • CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 Six Core 1600 3.60GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail
    • Memory:Team Group Dark Pro 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C15 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black/Red (TDPRD48G3000
    • Case:Cougar Spike Micro-ATX Gaming Case - Black
    • Security Software:Unwanted
    • Graphics:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050Ti Mini 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Total: £751.07 (includes shipping: £14.10)

This comes with the operating system costing about 100 quid from ocuk, you could get windows 10 cheaper elsewhere or you could install your own operating system on this and save some money.

If you want the pc to last you at least 5 years, you are going to have to buy more ram sticks as well as a new graphics card when you upgrade the pc hardware during this 5 year span.

The cpu processor will last you at least 5 years it is a ryzen 1600 on this build but not the newer ryzen 2600 you see.

Am4 support will last longer when compared to intel you see but i don't know how long :/ maybe until ryzen 3 ?

You could upgrade the processor as well during the 5 year lifetime of this system down the road.

The ryzen 1600 beats the 7600k when all it's threads and cores are used but there are newer cpus around nowadays but as i say you can upgrade the cpu.

My 2 pence but people will steer you towards the ryzen 2600 though.

edit i would recommend windows 10 due to processor support you see which is true with new processors.​

Last edited:
Cheaper the budget, then the better for pre-built is . Factor of bulk buying cheaper cards or discount for build units as well as using a lot cheaper parts etc etc .
Not much profit in a budget system compared to flagship ROG system but make up for sale numbers

Dell Optiplex 790 (i7 2700) refurb for £250 odd from The Bay and GTX 1050Ti from here and your sorted :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom