Advice on Power Supply

Associate
My PC keeps turning on and instantly off (Everything lights up then goes out). I have checked the CPU and it looks fine and checked connections to everything and again looks fine so I can only imagine it's the power supply. Just want to make sure i'm getting a decent one and the correct one for my setup.

Also, if anyone believes it to be something else other than the power supply, any advice would be welcome.

This is my current set up:

HS-00A-CY Cryorig M9I Single Tower Heatsink for Intel

CA-22Y-BX Bitfenix Formula Series 550W 80 Plus Gold Power Supply

HD-044-TS Toshiba 1TB P300 Performance Hard Drive (HDWD110UZSVA)

MY-088-TG Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C14

2400MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey (TLGD416G24

MB-6BX-AS Asrock B360M Pro4 Intel B360 (Socket 1151) DDR4 Micro-ATX

HD-005-TG TeamGroup 480GB L5 Lite SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 3D NAND Solid

CP-63S-IN Intel Core i7-8700 3.2GHz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151

GX-045-PL Palit GeForce GTX 1070Ti Jetstream 8192MB GDDR5

Thanks

Associate
Well I can't say what is wrong with your system but I can say my own rig suffered from exactly the same symptom. Issue: Lights come on, fans spin up, then shutdown within a couple of seconds. The LED display shows no error codes (in fact it doesn't light up at all). It would do this maybe a half dozen times then kind of 'catch' and start to POST. I concluded the same as you - most likely PSU. So I replaced it with a SuperFlower 1000w PSU and... it still did it. lol. The last time I shut it down was about a week ago I just cold booted and it never started again (never did it on a warm reboot). Tried all sorts and no go. In the end I figured the BIOS chips were toast, I've removed the old ones (soldered in) and am waiting on delivery of replacements. This is a Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 7 board. In fact, this is not the first of these boards that have shown the same issue. The board I'm working on is actually a replacement for a similar board that showed the same issue after a few years. Anyway, I'll let you know if new BIOS chips resolve the problem. Hoping the chips will arrive tomorrow and it will take a day or two to put back together.

Associate
OP
Well I can't say what is wrong with your system but I can say my own rig suffered from exactly the same symptom. Issue: Lights come on, fans spin up, then shutdown within a couple of seconds. The LED display shows no error codes (in fact it doesn't light up at all). It would do this maybe a half dozen times then kind of 'catch' and start to POST. I concluded the same as you - most likely PSU. So I replaced it with a SuperFlower 1000w PSU and... it still did it. lol. The last time I shut it down was about a week ago I just cold booted and it never started again (never did it on a warm reboot). Tried all sorts and no go. In the end I figured the BIOS chips were toast, I've removed the old ones (soldered in) and am waiting on delivery of replacements. This is a Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 7 board. In fact, this is not the first of these boards that have shown the same issue. The board I'm working on is actually a replacement for a similar board that showed the same issue after a few years. Anyway, I'll let you know if new BIOS chips resolve the problem. Hoping the chips will arrive tomorrow and it will take a day or two to put back together.

Hopefully mines just the PSU! But if you could tell me how you get on that would be great. Sounds exactly the same though

Soldato
Disconnect power and reset switches and connect reset switch in palce of power and try using it.
Faulty switch messing mobo could cause PC to shut down after powering on.

Detach drives and all but one stick of memory and try to boot to BIOS.
Could also remove that separate graphics card and connect monitor to mobo to try with integrated GPU.

And do you need to to power cycle PSU to try booting again?
Could be something triggering PSU's protections.

Associate
OP
Right, I have managed to get it working... sort of. Here's a strange one. So I tried a few different things and nothing was working. I then thought maybe a dodgy cable to the PSU, so I tried pushing it in while I turned the PC on and it worked fine. Then I started getting crashes, PC still running but not responsive.

Now, after a few crashes. Won't go to BIOS.

I managed to test GPU & CPU temps and they were both fine.

Bare in mind, this PC has been stationery for over 6 months, so I am not sure why the connection to the PSU would be a problem.

Soldato
I have the opposite problem, my machine has started switching itself off randomly whilst gaming, then straight back on.
Error code is 41, which is a pretty generic code saying windows didn't shut down properly & may be due to loss of power.

I've not spent any time troubleshooting yet but going to look at it later today.

Back
Top Bottom