Advice over Protein shakes.

Soldato
OP
If you are fat you don't need protein shakes.
That made me laugh!

For now I'm just having water before and a couple of eggs on toast afterwards when I get in.
Seem to be OK with around 750m each morning, though I feel pretty worn out afterwards but also feel better for it if that makes sense

Soldato
Back in the day I used to use protein shakes when doing heavy gym and sport.

1. Split your energy needs and recovery needs.
2. Energy is needed to build reserves for longer term exercise but also for the period of exercise - just don't eat too much bulk then exercise. I worked out I needed to eat a couple of hours before the excise anything after 1h30 before gave me cramps or in one case made be throw up in the showers. During the exercise it was simple energy drink and more importantly replacement of lost minerals (ie you loose it when you sweat even swimming) which can cause cramps etc.
3. I focused the protein shake *after* the exercise as I found that it took me two days of rest between sessions of exercise to replace both the energy reserves and to repair the muscle enough todo the same work out to the same intensity/level.

Mountain biking I found was easier in that a good set of fig rolls ended up providing all that was required other than water. I could eat them at a stop off and 30 mins later could start warming backup (this was a weekly 11-4pm ride around the South Downs so heavy going). The protein shake was for the post ride next two days to get my legs back!

In the end others seem to be able todo a alternate date exercise regime, I found I needed two days between. Nothing wrong, just the way my body needed to work to make the best/most out of exercise.

My point here is that your body isn't going to use extra protein until it starts to repair itself. Alternative option is to use protein for energy if the energy reserve isn't there (I'm talking about burning out the energy reserves).

Soldato
OP
I'm managing without so far, 3 weeks ago I was doing 500m sessions, then 750 now I'm up to 800 so I'm happy with that.
I'm now looking for a good android app so I can start to plan gym workouts and start doing that in the evenings

Soldato
I've upped my running mileage to around 20-22 miles a week (including efforts sessions) and I've found now I've gone vegetarian if I don't have a protein shake (unflavoured isolate plus frozen fruit, nuts, juice etc,) I feel much more achy the next day and I feel like I eat pretty well

Very hard to judge how much to have I find

I always eat a banana straight after running but I'm finding now that's not enough

Soldato
Why not try intermittent fasting and not have anything?

If you're overweight, chances are you don't need to be consuming the calories you think you need.

Also when cutting calories, you should avoid liquid calories due to lack of satiety.

Man of Honour
As said, you don't need energy from food at all pre-workout. Try to get out of this mindset of being dependent on food for things, you're in charge and if you feel hungry it's because of a hormone, not because you need sustenance. Think about it, you're not going to keel over with KGs of energy strapped to yourself. Agreed with those in here about IF, perfect opportunity to do it as it actually lends itself to your routine.

Associate
Of course you are, so why use liquids for calories? Not sure why you disagree?

Getting used having an empty stomach (relatively) is part and parcel so why delay the inevitable.

I'm currently intermittent fasting due to Covid laziness, not to lose weight but just to control it (not get any fatter), been doing it for about 3 months and still sometimes get hungry during the day but I know I don't need to eat and the hunger will subside.

Soldato
I was pretty much in the same situation as you, I’m 5ft10 and during lockdown I just ate too much and ended up at 113kgs. I started IF, well I did without realising as I just dropped a meal and after reading a lot about IF, I realised I was on a 16:8 although I do it by eating breakfast and eating my main meal at lunch time. Been on it for a few months now and lost 11.4kgs so far.

I don’t eat a keto diet though as the wife likes to eat pasta or rice and I eat the same meals as her but don’t eat a lot of carbs otherwise. Been moving more towards a 18:6 with the odd 20:4 day here and there. I ride my bicycle early in the morning at weekends and dont eat before I go on a ride and am fine even after not eating for 16hrs and a 25mile ride isn’t an issue, so there really isn’t a need for a protein shake. Protein shakes actually cause havoc with my guts causing unreal amounts of gas oddly enough.:o

Soldato
So I'm just 50 and fat. Lockdown has destroyed me (totally my fault) and I need to do something about it.
May last year I was 90kg, last week I was 116kg.
I had an operation last year on my back which has been a long standing issue since I was younger, it hasn't helped as much as I thought so I suspect that my weight might be hindering my recovery.
Last week I started swimming again, it's a good exercise for me as it supports my weight and allows me to exercise safely, I managed 6 swims of around 750m with Sun off, and I intend to keep this level going forward.
I swim early mornings at 6:30, it's too early for breakfast, so I'm looking for a good protein shake that I can have half walking to the swim, and the other half walking back.
There are so many out there, can anyone recommend a good one for swimmers please?
Don't consume anything before swimming (apart from water). It is unnecessary, and will negatively impact your swimming.

Soldato
Getting used having an empty stomach (relatively) is part and parcel so why delay the inevitable.

That's not very good advice though, part of a reduced calorie diet is eating more nutrition dense foods that are satiating which intime reduces hunger.

For example someone on a calorie deficit would get more benefit from a grilled chicken breast than a protein shake.

Associate
That's not very good advice though, part of a reduced calorie diet is eating more nutrition dense foods that are satiating which intime reduces hunger.

For example someone on a calorie deficit would get more benefit from a grilled chicken breast than a protein shake.

So when you are trying to lose weight you're telling me that resisting the urge to eat when you don't need to is bad advice ?

No one mentioned nutrition, we we're discussing eating a diet tailored to help satiate hunger, I was making the point that satiation doesn't matter and used intermittent fasting as an example... literally mind over matter, overcoming the desire or habbit of eating excessively..

I understand what both of you are saying though, everyone is different and responds to different methods, motivations and even nutrition. I just feel that the mental edge is most important.

I personally feel like I get more benefit from a protein shake after exercise rather than a bit of grilled chicken, it's fast and easy to consume and it seems to reduce soreness, particularly when first getting back into the swing of things. This could be placebo ofcourse :cry:

OP did not ask whether we recommended that he have a protein shake before his morning swim just what protein he should get, so I wasn't actually giving any advice :p

Soldato
I hate eating before exercise unless it's like 3 hours before, just not for me. I always refuel after. It's only if I'm doing something extra long and hard (oooo err) like a really long bike ride, that I might need mid point fuel. If I'm doing 30-60mins it's not a problem.

Back
Top Bottom