Advice Please!!

Associate
Hi All

I have been offered a job which is offering better pay, a bit of a step up in career and overall good prospects.

I looked for a new job as my current company is struggling to get new business and it can't last forever this way. We have drips and drabs of money coming in from various sources, but so far our tendering has been unsuccessful.

The trouble is, I really like where I work. I like the people and I like the work (when there is some!)
I am torn between personal feelings and career development, I have not yet handed my notice in as I have given myself a day to find myself.

Help!

Associate
If, like you say, you are aboard a sinking ship, then perhaps it's best to jump on the lifeboat while it's here? You may otherwise find that when you do finally sink, there's nothing else for you to grab on to (especially if your colleagues are grabbing too).

This of course, is totally dependant on your location, ease of finding jobs, skillset etc.

Mat

Mat

Soldato
Don't be on the Titanic when the inevitable ice berg rears it's ugly head.

(am i doing this maritime metaphor thing rite?)

Soldato
Hi All

I have been offered a job which is offering better pay, a bit of a step up in career and overall good prospects.

I looked for a new job as my current company is struggling to get new business and it can't last forever this way. We have drips and drabs of money coming in from various sources, but so far our tendering has been unsuccessful.

The trouble is, I really like where I work. I like the people and I like the work (when there is some!)
I am torn between personal feelings and career development, I have not yet handed my notice in as I have given myself a day to find myself.

Help!

Focus on yourself and you alone when it comes to career progression, development and survival.

When times get tough, the employer (public or private sector) will always make tough dispassionate decisions and feelings do not get in the way of cash flow.

Trust your instinct, jump ship, take the new opportunity.

SMN

SMN

Soldato
There is no loyalty in business, do whats best for you. They'll still be your friends if they are indeed your friends.

Man of Honour
If they are friends worth keeping then you'll stay in touch one way or another. You can't let feelings for work colleagues stop your own progression. They wouldn't likey give it a second thought.

Sounds like a good prospect - take it and good luck :)

Soldato
Look OP, it is great you are having a good time with your salty crew on whatever vessel that brings you port to port but if your ship is not trading much than it is only a matter of time until your captain abandons ship with the first mate and the rest. Grab yourself a life ring now and start paddling before waters get choppy.

If you move to a smaller seacraft for a few doubloons less it may seem lame at first but if you keep working that rigging, you may eventually make your way to first mate or even captain.

#CaptainKraken

Soldato
Stayed in a job when I was much younger because I liked it, less than a year later they were unable to keep my position. I knew this was likely to happen and had a much better career opportunity during that time and wished I had took it back then.

Don't make the same mistake.

Back
Top Bottom