Aerial photography / Videography thread

Associate
sunlitsix, your videos are brilliant, I have the same drone as yourself (everything standard except a couple of guards) and I can't seem to get video anywhere near as smooth as yours, any sort of non-yaw shots just turn into jelly, any chance you could share your set up to see where I've borked up mine?

Associate
OP
sunlitsix, your videos are brilliant, I have the same drone as yourself (everything standard except a couple of guards) and I can't seem to get video anywhere near as smooth as yours, any sort of non-yaw shots just turn into jelly, any chance you could share your set up to see where I've borked up mine?

Do you use ND filters, sounds like your shutter speed is a little high. Ideally it should be about 2x the frame rate.

Soldato
very cool, loving the vlog style :)

Thanks! I wanted to make videos with more than just aerial shots, done more since then but I won't link them all...

Thanks! :D

I think the key to smooth footage, while perhaps ND filters and lower shutter would help somewhat (I don't use any), is slower movements with the drone. I've noticed while razzing it around at full pelt the footage isn't as smooth!

Caporegime
Thanks! I wanted to make videos with more than just aerial shots, done more since then but I won't link them all...

Thanks! :D

I think the key to smooth footage, while perhaps ND filters and lower shutter would help somewhat (I don't use any), is slower movements with the drone. I've noticed while razzing it around at full pelt the footage isn't as smooth!

I'll be honest, your videos are brutally amazing. This is pretty much the sort of tihng I'd be trying to do did I own a X8c/phantom or something.

I may try something similar with my EF250 :p

Subbed also

Soldato
I have already posted this in the multirotor thread but I only just noticed this thread and think it's better placed here, so if a mod wants to remove my other post then feel free to do so :)

I just completed my first ever video edit, using the drone footage we shot over Durdle Door.
For best effects, play in full screen in HD and turn the volume up :)
Enjoy!

Soldato
Picked up an ND 8 and 16 filter for the P3P, Not sure if it's those but most of my shots are coming out like they are out of focus. Went out today and nearly all of the pictures I took are useless. They are official DJI filters too.

Here's one of the better ones. Just trying to learn post processing too and it's a steep learning curve that's for sure!

vxnwVjp.jpg

Soldato
I have already posted this in the multirotor thread but I only just noticed this thread and think it's better placed here, so if a mod wants to remove my other post then feel free to do so :)

I just completed my first ever video edit, using the drone footage we shot over Durdle Door.
For best effects, play in full screen in HD and turn the volume up :)
Enjoy!

Really nice footage - looks like a great location. Drone flying looks like so much fun especially with FPV.

I fly a paramotor and as a sport it is unlicensed - no pilots licence or training required. You can just buy a wing and motor from ebay and give it a go. You'd be mad to even try and would probably kill yourself but you can.

It will only stay unlicensed as long as we - as a sport - behave responsibly and fly according to the CAA rules that govern us. 500ft from people, vehicles, structures etc, 1000ft or glide clear from villages/towns etc., respect airspace zones etc.

It strikes me that this is very similar to where non-commercial drone flying is at the moment. The CAA stipulate that drones fitted with cameras must not be flown:
  • within 50 metres of people, vehicles, buildings or structures
  • over congested areas or large gatherings such as concerts and sports events
Several times in the video you were closer than 50m from other people on the beach. Has anyone been prosecuted by the CAA or is it something 'everybody does' a bit like doing 75mph on the motorway ?

I'm really not having a go, I just want to understand how a different unlicences 'sport' approaches CAA rules.

Caporegime
Really nice footage - looks like a great location. Drone flying looks like so much fun especially with FPV.

I fly a paramotor and as a sport it is unlicensed - no pilots licence or training required. You can just buy a wing and motor from ebay and give it a go. You'd be mad to even try and would probably kill yourself but you can.

It will only stay unlicensed as long as we - as a sport - behave responsibly and fly according to the CAA rules that govern us. 500ft from people, vehicles, structures etc, 1000ft or glide clear from villages/towns etc., respect airspace zones etc.

It strikes me that this is very similar to where non-commercial drone flying is at the moment. The CAA stipulate that drones fitted with cameras must not be flown:
  • within 50 metres of people, vehicles, buildings or structures
  • over congested areas or large gatherings such as concerts and sports events
Several times in the video you were closer than 50m from other people on the beach. Has anyone been prosecuted by the CAA or is it something 'everybody does' a bit like doing 75mph on the motorway ?

I'm really not having a go, I just want to understand how a different unlicences 'sport' approaches CAA rules.

I'm unaware of anyone who has been prosecuted but at the end of the day just fly safe and don't fly over houses or mass crowds.....main reason is because you don't want to pee people off and it's just rude really.

I fly a racer so generally need to ensure there aren't people walking g near me...but then I usually fly at the back of a field so of they walk towards/under me they're a bit daft in their own right.

Back
Top Bottom