agghhh, i'm getting the itch to get an imac 27" :(

Soldato
the reason for the :( is that i know that i don't really need it. I have a macbook pro, and a perfectly good pc...but i just want to go all mac and ditch the pc as i really don't use it for games etc any more and using my mac is just so much more pleasurable.

Also, i'm a bit of a budding photographer and i am using aperture on my macbook and lightroom on the pc but i have to say i prefer aperture, but feel constrained by the laptop a bit and would prefer to have a nice big screen to work with.

Is there likely to be a revision of the imac the next several months? Am i mad for wanting one? :(

Soldato
OP
could do that, but it's pretty inconvenient as i like having my mbp separate and in another room etc. Another option would be a cheap mac mini and hook it up to my screen - but it's the quality, size and pixel size of the imac's 27" screen that is tempting me so...

are there new ones around the corner?

Soldato
You could just buy the monitor on its own, I think apple sells them for about 800 quid. Though if you're gonna pay that then I guess you may as well just buy the iMac. Either way, you're right, the screen is incredibly beautiful. I admire it every time I go into a competitor who sells them :D

Soldato
I'm getting very tempted to sell my Mac Pro and 2x24" and grabbing a 27" iMac. U se one at work and I love the screen.

I could sell my monitors and grab a 27" screen but that would probably cost me £400, selling my current system would be a swap really!

Associate
Got a 27" iMac from the refurb store before Christmas. Just about set up now.
Loving the screen. Went mac for photo processing and was fed up with windows & it's faults.

Soldato
It's only mad if you can't or would struggle to afford it. Why don't you wait for the next revision and see how you feel then? Because it sounds like the PC is perfectly fit for purpose so this is most definitely a "want" rather than a "need".

If not, check out the refurbs. There are some good savings on the 27" iMacs.

Caporegime
could do that, but it's pretty inconvenient as i like having my mbp separate and in another room etc. Another option would be a cheap mac mini and hook it up to my screen - but it's the quality, size and pixel size of the imac's 27" screen that is tempting me so...

are there new ones around the corner?

Ah, the inconvenience of taking your laptop into another room... much better to spend a couple of grand then. :D

On a serious note im also considering making the move to Mac from PC (after saying I never would, of course), so always nice to see PC users happy with the transition, amkes me feel a bit more comfortable about it. :)

Soldato
OP
i'm definitely going to hold out for a while and see what materialises as i'd rather buy one when they're at the beginning of the life-cycle rather than when they're about to be super-seeded. I know myself though, and i know that once i get an idea like this in my head, i'll sooner or later crack under the pressure!!

Associate
I am thinking along similar lines. MAC's just seem so much easier and more, fluid and intuitive (if that makes sense) - typing this on a macbook 13 right now and its just such a nice device to use. Windows seems contrived and clumsy in comparison, even with Windows 7.

I might perform some slight upgrades to the PC in my signature but I feel its macbook pro from now on for my "main" computer.

Steve

Associate
I'm waiting for the refresh, too. I'm currently using a Unibody MacBook hooked up to a 22" external display, but I've frequently needed the power increase, and I'm getting annoying at having to unplug everything every time I need to take it somewhere.

Man of Honour
I'm waiting for the refresh, too. I'm currently using a Unibody MacBook hooked up to a 22" external display, but I've frequently needed the power increase, and I'm getting annoying at having to unplug everything every time I need to take it somewhere.

A Henge dock will fix the unplugging issue.

Soldato
I'm getting the itch to get an iMac - 27" + upgraded processor to replace my stationary laptop which is aging a bit. If I act soon I can beat the VAT increase and get the 0% finance, plus the EPP discount...

But I get the feeling that it's slightly overkill for what I will use it for. All I really do is browse the internet and use a SSH shell. Youtube HD has been angering me as this Vaio is only a C2D 2GHz, 8400M, 2GB RAM machine. I did upgrade it with a SSD which means it's quite nippy but maybe I'm just bored of it.

How easy is it to install a SSD into the iMac myself? Will I miss not having one?

Associate
@Hades - I did think about a Henge dock, but I'm definitely going to go down the iMac route, so I won't be docking my MacBook in the future. It'll be a portable second machine.

@Clown - It's not so easy to upgrade the HDD in an iMac. It requires you to pull the glass off the front with suction cups (it's held on magnetically), and you have to get right into the inner core of the machine. Google for some tutorials.

Soldato
the reason for the is that i know that i don't really need it. I have a macbook pro, and a perfectly good pc...but i just want to go all mac and ditch the pc as i really don't use it for games etc any more and using my mac is just so much more pleasurable.

Personally I'm the other way round. I find the iMac screen to be a right pain, far to reflective. I prefer to use W7 with my nice Matte 24" screen, plus W7 is just so good, a real pleasure to use.

Associate
I have a 27" iMac and its my first Mac.

I love it and all but wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't for student discount. Like people said if you just want it for the screen then buy an Apple Cinema Display. But when if you bought a refurb I wouldn't think they would be that much more than a Cinema Display, and these have a computer strapped to the back of them!

The reflective screen was a bother, until I just got used to having the curtains closed and only lights to the side or behind it.

They can be upgraded by yourself but like people have said, its difficult. But that difficulty is kinda worth it when you look at how much it costs for an SSD upgrade, but I do believe the SSD upgrade iMacs have a completely different layout internally and (now don't quote me on this), I believe ssd upgraded macs have space for 2 drives whereas ones without only have space for one. This could explain the bigger price as they have to change everything inside to get it all to fit.

Soldato
Out of interest, is it possible to upgrade the gpu in these machines? I know certainly in the older iMacs it's not possible but is there any change to that in these new 27" machines? I would love to have one and dual boot windows for games and get rid of my pc altogether but with the gpus apple are offering, that can't happen.

Soldato
Out of interest, is it possible to upgrade the gpu in these machines? I know certainly in the older iMacs it's not possible but is there any change to that in these new 27" machines? I would love to have one and dual boot windows for games and get rid of my pc altogether but with the gpus apple are offering, that can't happen.

The circuit board for the GPU is iMac specific. Only the MacPro can take the standard GPU form factor cards (although an OSX specific version of the GPU firmware is required).

The card is made for apple's ease of construction rather than user upgradeability.

Back
Top Bottom