Air Con Suggestions

Associate
All the instructions will say that only qualified installers can install these units.

Ignore said instructions and you will find that even with pre filled units if they are not installed and commisioned by qualified engineers, the warranties are not valid.

Take the risk and do it yourself, or even get a general builder by all means, but if anything goes wrong and you try to get stuff fixed under warranty the first thing everyone asks for is the certificate of installation signed by qualified personnel.

Buy a decent make, and the warranty won't be needed, if you look after it.
I'm currently involved in the refurbishment of a 9 storey building - it has a chiller for the air con, which is dated 1964... kept maintained, AC units last a LONG time.

Caporegime
As with everything, back in the day they built things to last.

They do not build things to last now.

Inbuilt obsolescence

From the factory designed to break down regularly within a few years, and force you to buy a new one.

We have a couple of Bitzer compressors built in the early 1960's still going strong.

We also have a few Bitzer compressors built less than ten years ago, we have had to replace three of them twice within the last 5 years.

Companies do not build things to last now, or they will be out of business in no time.

RJC

RJC

Don
Some of our chillers back in the day were built to last, had an enqiry for spares on a unit built a bit later than 1964 (1978) and still going strong.

Our units built today as you mention are built to a cost in order to compete in the market place.

It’s nice to hear about old units in the field still running.

Associate
That's rarely a good idea, lol - and you are bang on, it's an old Trane unit. I don't spec or use them anymore - they seem to start leaking after 2-4 years. Panasonic, Mitsubishi, Toshiba - all fine. Trane/Carrier - nope.
I am certainly biased as I work for one of the three I mentioned - but of course, we buy other manufacturers' units and run them to death alongside ours. Ours keep going, Carrier do not.
It is a bit of a "Trigger's broom" but just keeps going.
RE planned obsolescence, Entai - our stuff is designed and built to last. When it fails, it is normally due to an under-specified unit, thrashing it's guts out - or somebody messing with it and replacing a compressor and not adding any oil, etc.
We have an 8 year bulletproof guarantee on our stuff, provided it is specified, serviced and repaired if needed by our engineers - miss that out and you get a 2 year guarantee!

Caporegime
Who has it? What is your experience with it like? What would you recommend?

Interested to hear experiences from owners of the following:

Portable Air Conditioners
Split/Inverter Air Conditioners
Ductless Air Conditioners

I am currently using a Igenix 9901 portable AC (9,000 BTU) bought from the forest for £270. I bought this just before the heatwave, luckily and the price has almost doubled since then.

It does a decent job of cooling my small home office, but is very noisy and uses around 900W of power when running. I've certainly noticed my leccy bill has shot up since using it.

I've since decided to get proper air conditioning installed and have been quoted around £1400 for installation of a split system. Seems quite expensive, but this was the cheapest of four quotes i received from local companies.

The unit i am getting installed is a Daikin ftxm25m/rxm25m and i can't wait to see how it performs.

RJC

RJC

Don
I installed a Daikin for a friend a few years ago and they had no issues, I current have a Airton installed which is okay for the price I paid (£300)

Looking to install another one in my Dinning room, the one above is installed in my Hallway.

Don
I had a Delonghi portable and now have a Daikin 2Kw split system in main bedroom, works great even on lowest setting which is near silent

Caporegime
Good to hear about Daikin being excellent. I was also quoted prices for a Mitsubishi system and a Fujitsu system.

What BTUs are you all using and how big are the rooms out of interest?

Don
no idea how many BTU but 2KW more than enough for about 5m x 5m, paid £900 installed inc electrical work, was a bit of mate's rates in that

Back
Top Bottom