Air cooler adequate for a 7800X3D

Soldato
Not done a build for a very long time so asking about almost every step as I go. I've pretty much settled on a the 7800X3D as my CPU and am leaning towards a DeepCool AK620 for cooling. I have no plans to overclock and will probably be having a play to get the temps down to the absolute minimum once I'm up and running. As I understand it, the stock setup with AMD CPU's is they simply drive up to the 95deg limit. So a bigger cooler just means they drive harder? I assume you can limit the max temp somewhere so the fans are not constantly maxed out. I want them all but silent if I can use settings to do it??

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,408.88 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

£420 (incl. VAT)
£330 (incl. VAT)
FREE DELIVERY
£120 (incl. VAT)
£110 (incl. VAT)
£270 (incl. VAT)
£165 (incl. VAT)
£630 (incl. VAT)
£570 (incl. VAT)
FREE DELIVERY
£65 (incl. VAT)
£59 (incl. VAT)
Last edited:
As I understand it, the stock setup with AMD CPU's is they simply drive up to the 95deg limit. So a bigger cooler just means they drive harder? I assume you can limit the max temp somewhere so the fans are not constantly maxed out. I want them all but silent if I can use settings to do it??
The X3D has very low power consumption in games, so it isn't that hard to make it quiet. The CPUs are hot running likely due to the die density, but they're not hard to cool.

I'd suggest the Freezer 36:

or the Phantom Spirit/Peerless Assassin:

Suggested changes:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,169.87 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Cheers. Yeah I may well go with a std 4070 re-graphics card. Choice was a little sparse when I picked some of the parts a while back. I'll probably stick with the Samsung SSD. I tried to pick stuff that was from the approved vendors list for my mobo. (Not sure it really matters but that's my reasoning.) I looked at the Arctic freezer and the Deepcool AK400. However picked the AK620 in the end as it appeared to do very well in a fair number of reviews, even though another £25 or so. I've switched out the fans to non rgb version.

I'll mull it over some more this evening and probably order in the morning.

Sanity check.
I do realise that some of the picks are possibly not the sweet spot/cheapest. For peace of mind I've stuck to approved vendor list as much as possible. I could have shaved another £40-50 on the GPU but just stuck with the devil I know in ASUS vs MSI (Probably a little foolish in the face of recent ASUS customer support issues. That and the ASUS card is all black and dull as dishwater, which I like.) Anything stand out stupid or foolish?
It's hopefully all squashing into Lian-Li, A3-mATX

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,360.87 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Anything stand out stupid or foolish?
You only have 2x M.2 slots on the board, so doesn't seem wise to fill both of them. I'd just get a single 2TB drive, which is usually better value anyway.

That and the ASUS card is all black and dull as dishwater, which I like.)
1 x Asus GeForce RTX 4070 Dual EVO OC 12GB GDDR6X PCI-Express Graphics Card (SKU: GRA-ASU-02563) = £509.99
I know I advised you to switch, but that was because the 4070 I suggested is only £450. I wouldn't pay that much for a non-Super. The MSI Ventus is available in black/silver for £470 if you don't like the white one.

Not trying to be awkward, there are just so many cards around the £400-£600 range and it makes assessing their value pretty difficult, because £50 is enough to move something from decent to poor.

If you got a SN770 2TB instead of the SN850X and downgraded the cooler to a freezer 36 that would make room for a 4070 Super.

Last edited:
You only have 2x M.2 slots on the board, so doesn't seem wise to fill both of them. I'd just get a single 2TB drive, which is usually better value anyway.

I know I advised you to switch, but that was because the 4070 I suggested is only £450. I wouldn't pay that much for a non-Super. The MSI Ventus is available in black/silver for £470 if you don't like the white one.

Not trying to be awkward, there are just so many cards around the £400-£600 range and it makes assessing their value pretty difficult, because £50 is enough to move something from decent to poor.

If you got a SN770 2TB instead of the SN850X and downgraded the cooler to a freezer 36 that would make room for a 4070 Super.
Not awkward at all bud, all good :)

And you're spot on, in the £400-£600 price bracket it's littered with cards that are all but identical but cover the whole price range. I veered away from the MSI Ventus because I vaguely remember something about reliability issues. Having just had a quick Google. I think rather than hardware reliability it was the factory settings for the OC. So just the usual finessing hole we dive down.

Re- the 2X 1TB M.2 Drives vs a single 2TB drive. What's the reasoning behind that? Am I missing a trick, or is it just more cost effective?

He he I've missed my cut off for a Saturday delivery now so have all weekend to keep going round the wheel some more..:cry::cry: Doh..

Larger m2 is both cost effective and with your motherboard only having 2 x m2 slots your not using up your fastest slots with lower storage.

The sn770 is a decent option and you won't notice any performance difference in games , upgrading to a 4070 super makes sense if you can fit it within budget as wisely advised by brother @Tetras .

Last edited:
Re- the 2X 1TB M.2 Drives vs a single 2TB drive. What's the reasoning behind that? Am I missing a trick, or is it just more cost effective?
Yeah, they're usually better value, but if you have a board with only 2 slots I'd really like to leave one free.

Back
Top Bottom