Air fryers

Soldato
I searched and couldnt see a specific thread for Air Fryers. Mods, please move to 'la-cuisine' I didnt see that sub

We bought a Tower T17023 Air Fryer (2.2l) the other day, primarily for its compact size but have since returned it and bought a Ninja Foodi Mini Oven [SP101UK] 8-in-1 Flip Mini Oven, Air Fryer, Bake, Grill, Silver.
When we looked at some of the Tefal and Ninja specific air fryers they were quite bulky and the Foodi mini over also folds up when not in use.

Any recommendations on good things to air fry and who has one?

Pics below

Tower
s0oWi53h.jpg

Tower could fit 14 eggs
LhU69byh.jpg

Ninja
bjAZ5LXh.jpg

U2ng94Uh.jpg

spnkrk9h.jpg

cPY32kBh.jpg

Soldato
OP
Air Fried eggs are pretty awful.

Chicken Wings are delicious though. As are chips. Even frozen chips! But home made chips in the air fryer, isn't far away from being deep fried.
Already done air fried (boiled) eggs, they were great, took 8 mins in total and easier to peel. How were you doing them? All I did was preheat for 1 min at 200 then put 2 uncooked eggs in on 135c for 7 mins. Eggs were just to show size example by the way, not cook 20 eggs :D

A whole banana was great air fried, just made it like a banana fritter but without all the unhealthyness

Soldato
OP
Is the dehydrate any good?

I'm thinking jerky etc

But a lot of fruits and vegetables are really nice as well.
I've not tried it yet but imagine it is. How cost effective it is over buying dehydrated fruit and jerky though is another thing.
In the booklet it has herbs at 4-6 hours at 60c, fruits at 6-8 hours at 60c. meat, poultry and fish and at 70c for 5-7 hours with turkey jerky at 5-8 hours.

Soldato
OP
Why would you air fry an egg? The whites and yolk cooks at about 65-70c. If you blast it at 200c by the time that heat travels into the center into the yolk the white would be way too cooked. A bit like cooking a steak on a really hot pan you end up searing the outside, except you are doing it to the whites, but you are not frying it on the pan so without that maillard reaction with a bit of oil, the egg shell becomes the heat plate.

I’ve done things like Cookies, Bread, Chicken Wings, pork belly.
You dont blast it at 200c.

"All I did was preheat for 1 min at 200 then put 2 uncooked eggs in on 135c for 7 mins" The two eggs turned out perfect (runny, not horrible hard boiled) and easier to peel.

Soldato
OP
You don't air fry eggs lol
Really? - https://cookathomemom.com/air-fryer-eggs/

Just a note that this Ninja mini oven is powerful! The Tower Air fryer cooked a couple of small bits of bread in 15 minutes on 200c perfectly (inc pre heat)
I stuck 7 small pieces of bread on 200c for 10 minutes (inc pre heat) in the Ninja and it came out like charcoal :D Guess 3-5 mins is enough or a lower Air fry heat (or use grill/toast setting)

Should have known really as the Tower air fryer was 1000w, the Ninja is 2400w

Soldato
OP
Update on this thread.

We replaced the Ninja mini oven with a Ninja dual zone air fryer which is a lot better. 100x easier to clean and cooks quicker.

wdwjXIIh.jpg

iszprgoh.jpg

It's possible to cook at whole 1.6kg medium chicken in half of the air fryer, leaving vegetables and chips or something else in compartment 2

GYfbgilh.png.jpg

2D2p6feh.png.jpg

@BUDFORCE I would recommend this one (Ninja AF300UK) - https://ninjakitchen.co.uk/product/ninja-foodi-dual-zone-air-fryer-af300uk-zidAF300UK
As above, it has two compartments and is 7.6l capacity.

Maybe for a family of 4 go for the larger 9.5l capacity - https://ninjakitchen.co.uk/product/ninja-foodi-max-dual-zone-air-fryer-af400uk-zidAF400UK

We also just had this months electric bill, £74.69 instead of last months £132. Now im not saying it saved £60 a month but I think we have turned the oven on once this month, so guess it helped somewhat

Soldato
OP
We got ours back in December when the oven packed up. My partner wasn't thrilled by it at first but now she's basically always speaking highly of it.
We now only really use the oven if we are having oven pizzas. Otherwise all of our cooking is either done in the air fryer or pressure cooker.

Still haven't tried using it for a whole chicken yet. What function did you use for it, roast?
Air fry, 200c. Didnt even bother turning in over half way through. 40 minutes for that one but we did another and it needed 50 mins and was perfect (50 mins in total from turning on to fully cooked)

When it was done, my girlfriend grabbed some bread and poured the chicken fat over and made air fried chicken toast. Incredible! ...but also highly unhealthy

Soldato
OP
Whilst not in the same league as the Ninja models, if you are on a budget, then the Tower air fryers are worth a look.

I have the model below which I got on offer for £67.00 at the time.

Also does rotisserie chicken (1.2KG). That’s the main reason I bought it tbh :D

We had a tower one first, whilst good it just wasnt big enough.

Chips need parboiling, that would be an instant nope. The small tower one we had i just chopped up raw sweet potato and theew them in for 22 mins, shaking half way through.

Soldato
OP
By spending £200 on an air fryer? :confused:
If it did really save us £60 on electric for the month by not using the oven, then yes.
We bought ours direct from Ninja who so far have hadcreally good customer service. As mentioned, you can usually find them cheaper on deals with random companies.
Ours, my girlfriend bought on 6 months interest free Paypal credit.

By then, we’ll owe it money :cry:

Soldato
OP
This is £79.99 now on Amazon by the way for anyone interested :)
Chips need parboiling

Whaaaaat???
Also, be wary of the mini oven tyoe air fryers. Total pig to clean the back of.
A ‘standard’ air fryer with a compartment / conpartments that slot in and out is so much easier

Soldato
OP
Ninjas stock is non existent atm. No dual fryers or health grills.
I noticed this too, no stock in retails stores too like Currys. Anyone know why?
My only guess is no stock as people try to save electric by using air fryers instead of their ovens. Ninja specific mind as other brands like Tefal are in stock

Yesterday my GF returned after going to Mcdonalds (and eating 14/20 nuggets in the process! :D ) had one and it was cold and horrible. Put the other 5 in the air fryer on max crisp for 3 minutes. Better than when they are served at Mcdonalds!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
We did Pork chops the other night, the excess pork fat poured into Couscous made it taste fantastic. Also after cooking a whole chicken, the chicken fat is incredible on air fried toast!
Don't waste the great fat!

Soldato
OP
Chicken fat on toast are you sure m8
When a medium chicken has cooked and some of the juices have collected under the tray, pour them onto toast / whatever else. It's no different to say using the juices from Turkey for perfect gravy.
Probably not recommended all the time for people that do no exercise. Quite unhealthy but then fats cant be that bad seems as they're the first thing animals go for in the wild when hungry

Soldato
OP
They're hailed as the holy grail of energy saving compared to your normal oven. Lots of "influencer" hype around them on social media, basically the usual reasons things end up hard to get hold of unless you want to get scalped
Guessed as much. Interestingly we didnt use our oven all month when we first got the air fryer, the electric bill was £40 cheaper than normal

Soldato
OP
I wanted to do a whole chicken in ours but didn't know to what extent I should jam it in so it's ok touching the sides etc?

I saw some mention cooking it breast side down for half, then turning it over?

I had a 1.6ishkg bird in the fridge when we opened out ninja and just didn't look like it would go in, I'll be braver!
Yeh, jam it in. It'll fit!
I just stuck it in and left it and it was fine. The legs did get a bit stuck when I opened it after 50 mins though, had to break one slightly but it was nice and cooked so ate it

Soldato
OP
The only time our oven goes on now is for something like a big cottage pie or pizza so it's almost certainly saved us some electric.
Whether it's gained back the £150 we paid in June who knows, but it's so much more convenient.
Similar, pizza (which we have hardly ever) or xmas dinner!
Its way more convenient that farting around with the oven scraping things off the tray. Like when we used to do sweet potato fries in the oven and chicken

Back
Top Bottom