Airfryer

Associate
Can anyone recommend an Airfryer that's suitable for 5-6 people?

There are so many options but not in the larger category of Airfryers.

Mainly want to do chips, sweet potato wedges, chicken, fish, roasted vegetables and help with meal prep and speed up cooking as our main oven is on the blink.

Thanks.

Soldato
Are there even any?

My mother in law let us borrow a Tefal Actifryer and the unit itself was huge but trying to cook stuff for even 4 people was a challenge. Chips/Wedges just got squashed and an attempt at fried chicken went all kinds of wrong, with me ending up with a big ball of gloopy chicken that i had to try and salvage and fry normally.

I've never seen any which look big enough for 5-6 people. Maybe buy 2?

Soldato
You wont get them that big but i can highly recommend Phillips air-fry range over the other. They come in larger sizes up to the XXL version. A bit on the pricier side considering budget ones have existed for a few years now but i know if i ever have to purchase another, im going with the Phillips Airfry again

It just seems to cook more evenly without attention and is easier to clean, also benefit of no paddle which has been a pet hate of mine.

Soldato
I suppose it depends what you are cooking. I would say my large one is perfect for 4 people depending on what i am cooking. Certainly wouldn't be able to do the whole meal in there but one or two items of the meal.

I would go for XXL just in case and if you can, wait for the black Friday sales or Christmas. It's just one of those things that always go down to half price every year at a few of the major retailers.

Soldato
I used to have a Tefal Actifry, did chips really well and sausages, stuff like chicken dippers were good too. Actifry broke so got a Tower Airfryer, chips aren't quite as good but everything else is much better. I've done steak, burgers, chicken, a joint of beef which took 20 minutes, I even cooked a Yorkshire pudding in it which took 4 minutes.

Associate
OP
Having looked around the largest one's that weren't Phillips or too expensive is the 5L Tower AirFryer at £85 this weekend which is digital or the manual dial VonShef 5L at £50 which seem to allow a portion of a meal to be made be it chips, wedges or meats.

The XXL Philips looks decent but over £200!

Caporegime
Having looked around the largest one's that weren't Phillips or too expensive is the 5L Tower AirFryer at £85 this weekend which is digital or the manual dial VonShef 5L at £50 which seem to allow a portion of a meal to be made be it chips, wedges or meats.

The XXL Philips looks decent but over £200!

£155

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

the phillips large one is enough for 6-8 people.

it costs around £200 though. the smaller one is around £100

With the HD9650 you could just about squeeze 8 meagre portions of chips out (1.4kg capacity - 200g portion of chips is reasonable).

Associate
OP
I ended up getting this Tefal in the sale this week. Made some home made chips last night which just about fed 6 and also a frittata for lunch today.

Handy for the chips as oven was loaded with the cod and chips would taken ages as not much space.

Putting in some brownies later. Still need to tinker with the temps but surely will get the hang of it once make more things in.

Associate
Sorry to drag this up but was looking at one of these in the sales but not sure which one, how does that Tower AirFryer compare to other brands?

Soldato
Sorry to drag this up but was looking at one of these in the sales but not sure which one, how does that Tower AirFryer compare to other brands?

I think the biggest difference between models and brands are the basket size and the basket design. Basket size is self explanatory, bigger = more food as well as more space allowing air to circulate and dry/cook the food more evenly.

As for basket design, the bottom of each food basket can differ in design, some baskets are a single basket with loads of holes while others have a mesh similar to a fryer basket. While this doesn't make a massive difference, the holes/mesh allow for different levels of airflow and generally speaking more air = more even consistent cooking.

If you are looking for which brands i stand by the Phillips Airfry being the best but they have a much higher price tag and any similar design will do the job more or less as well. I am about to purchase one for my girlfriend and will opt for a different brand.

The only one to really avoid would be the Tefal Actifry as the design means that it takes up tons of room, has moving parts that is easily broken and can squash soft foods.

Associate
We bought an air fryer from Tower, couldn't tell you which specific model. When it was cold it was fine, but once it heated up, the draw fell apart so the basket dropped out of the handle. Took it back for a refund the next day. No point having an air fryer that you can put cold food in, but cooked food falls on the floor.

Back
Top Bottom