Airport Valet parking company taken my F10 M5 for a spin

Soldato
So on the 23rd August I was off to Greece for a week. I booked one of those airport valet services at Gatwick airport as I couldn't be bothered doing park and ride and this was only another 30 quid or so.

I drop the car right into the car park and they take it elsewhere.

What they didn't realise is that I have front and rear cameras which record everything. The front one is hidden behind the mirror, the rear is pretty hard to notice.

So far I have the following:

23rd August after the drop off

- The car sitting in the main car park being revved.
- Departing the car park with the comment to his mate "gonna have some fun boi see ya later" but then saying he will drive carefully and slowly as he wants people to see him!
- Giving it little spurts of power here and there but he actually doesn't drive it like an idiot (although i've yet to review all the footage).
- I will have a look at the GPS overlay to see if there was any speeding but so far it doesn't appear to have gone over 100km/h
- Once it gets to their car park (which is like a glorified field) they're revving it again. The M5 wont let you rev past 3k but they still have a bit of fun.

On the 30th they move it to another area. They rev it again.

Some funny bits:

Another guy gets in it to park it and says "I take it you were very very careful coming here then. That's got such a beautiful noise (revs it). My baby, I'm going to park it on its own. I'm going to clean it every day for him....."

They don't actually rag it. It doesn't go over 100Km/h once and the odd blip here and there is understandable.

but it's........so weird hearing people in your own car........this started as an 'im outraged' post but after actually watching it it's quite funny.

I'd upload the video for you all but virgin internet is down for me.... :( using my mobile

------------------------

Update - Video http://www.filedropper.com/valet_1

1.7GB.

Last edited:
Associate
Sounds like they were just enthusiastic about the car rather than taking the ****.

If the rest of the footage doesn't turn up anything I wouldn't be upset about that level of usage. Out of interest is it the company that has a presence on a number of car forums?

Soldato
OP
Sounds like they were just enthusiastic about the car rather than taking the ****.

If the rest of the footage doesn't turn up anything I wouldn't be upset about that level of usage. Out of interest is it the company that has a presence on a number of car forums?

Yeah I started off angry but then realised they didn't do anything out of the ordinary. My speed figures when driving home were far far higher :D

I can't even see them having broken the speed limit.

Company is skyparksecure

Associate
Did you use those official meet and great people? The guy who picked my discovery 4 up was a bit young and looked like he had just passed his test. They had most lightly had an outing in it because they added 15 miles onto it. Shame I don't have a camera installed. Send them an email with the footage and see what they say

Soldato
OP
Did you use those official meet and great people? The guy who picked my discovery 4 up was a bit young and looked like he had just passed his test. They had most lightly had an outing in it because they added 15 miles onto it. Shame I don't have a camera installed. Send them an email with the footage and see what they say

Yeah I think they guy who drove mine was a bit young. Apart from the odd blurt of speed he didn't do anything outrageous and when he got to base the guy asked if he had taken it easy.

So from what I can see their parking area is not at Gatwick but about 10 miles away.

The day you are due to come back they move it to a closer car park so they can rapidly get it to the terminal in case you come early.

The car did not do any 'errands' from what I can see.

Soldato
The whole "someone else driving my car" is why I avoid car parks where I have to hand the key in. Even if they drive it like miss daisy, I don't want anyone near it, it's bad enough leaving it in a car park for a long period *shudder*.

The c'leaning it every day' comment raised a smile :)

Man of Honour
To be fair it sounds like some young lads having some fun with a nice motor but not taking the mick or being disrespectful. A few revs won't hurt as the M5 won't let them hurt and reading their comments they didn't sound abusive about the car. However, WTF are you messing around with Valet for? I am not sure if Gatwick is like Heathrow but when I was in the US I booked parking in advance via Heathrow and parked for 9 days in the short stay for around 110 quid (9 days) and walked 30 yards from my car to the terminal and took my keys with me, they even mention "keep your keys" on their adverts.

Soldato
a young lad in an m5 could have done so much worse. To be honest I'd much rather have someone who is a car enthusiasts drive my car and appreciate it a bit but Is calm I.e. no speeding and No over revving. than someone who doesn't give a care about cars / his job and drives on 'automatic' or whilst texting etc. To be honest they sound like a credit to the company. Compared to the idiot kid who doesn't actually appreciate cars but revs the Nuts and thrashes every car he collects...

Caporegime
Agreed.

Sounds like it was looked after by a group of lads who appreciated the M5 for what it was.

Bar a little revving (which self respecting petrol head wouldn't?) no harm done.

Could have been FAR worse, not to mention, every time you hand your prized car to persons unknown, who knows what will happen next?

Associate
My car has front a rear cameras ... I have done this type of parking in the past but only got this car last year so ill keep my eye on the footage when I get back :)

So far I have only used it for a bit of "OMG you will never guess what I was behind or what came up behind me" footage .....

Caporegime
Boring post, I don't get the big deal. You know that valet parking means they have to move your car as opposed to sitting in drop off for a week ?

They hardly took it for a spin !?

'Hi I just want to post to say I have an M5 and random strangers liked it'

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I would have done the same, respectfully as I could although it is still a breach of trust.

That said, you should know better to leave it in such hands and not expect this. I would have expected worse. They did put your pride and joy at risk but they had the best intentions at the end of the day.

I wouldn't be bothered personally, I let anyone drive my cars so long as they're careful. Not that I've had anything as nice an F10 M5 mind you, but I wouldn't change.

Soldato
Doesn't sound like anything harmful to me, I'd rather my car be looked after someone enthusiastic about something more interesting than Diesel Picasso number 764 and being respectful while having a 'little' play which won't harm anything.

Back
Top Bottom