AKG K702's instead of gaming headphones?

Associate
Hey Robi! I just registered here just to ask you how is the setup going!? Im a pubg player myself and im leaving the Logitech g533 wireless for the AKG k702 very soon!! How is it working for you with the positional audio? Do you hear the footsteps clearly? What is your sound setup after all these months with the k702 ?

Soldato
Any good for gaming.

I'm just lost with what to get.

If you need something that doesn't leak too much sound, then either the AKG K550 or Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohm are good choices. You can't go wrong with either really; except to say that the K550's are not a good choice for people who wear glasses. They need a good seal and wearing glasses breaks that seal.

Both are easy to drive though, so if you only have onboard audio, then you should be fine.

Soldato
V F Im now more confused (doesnt take much).

Marsman I am a glasses wearer so the K550s are out.

The DT770s why 80 and not the 250s.

Also in the video he mentions Audio-Technica ATH-M40X Professional Headphonesare they better than the DT770s.

Im just lost. Also what DAC has a mic port that is good.

TIA

Soldato
For wireless I have the Senny RS170, nice sound. Otherwise I'll plug in a decent set of cans. For a headphone mounted mic, the AntLion ModMic is popular, though I didn't get on with it. I have the Blue Snowball on a proper Boom arm, it's awesome. Never been interested in 'gaming' headphones. Don't like the aesthetic and not impressed with sound quality. :)

V F Im now more confused (doesnt take much).

Marsman I am a glasses wearer so the K550s are out.

The DT770s why 80 and not the 250s.

Also in the video he mentions Audio-Technica ATH-M40X Professional Headphonesare they better than the DT770s.

Im just lost. Also what DAC has a mic port that is good.

TIA

I'm a glasses wearer. My out and about headphones are the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0. They fold away, they're comfortable and they sound decent for the price. You don't need a DAC to drive them either, they'll run off your PC fine. Every Senny pair I own fits great over my glasses actually, and I have a few. I picked up mine for about £137. I like to game wireless, so I tend to use my RS170s unless I'm playing a glorious SP campaign and want to enjoy the audio experience.

As for your mic, when I used one with a 3.5mm I just plugged it straight into the PC.

For a DAC, the Schiit Stack and the Odac are the most often recommended on a budget, and for good reason. I went for the Yulong Dart Canary, from what I've read it's got a great dac, has more power than Schiit, and I picked it up for a bargain price.

Don't get stressed about it man. Shopping for new shineys is one of my favorite things, and I really enjoy the process. It's very easy to get caught up and get convinced you need to spend a fortune, or that something less expensive will be terrible; it really won't.

If you buy smart then you can create an upgrade path, so you don't have to throw out decent equipment as you move towards your dream setup. Audio can be a money pit if you get caught up in the hype.

Last edited:
Soldato
HI all

I now have Technica ATH-M40X & FiiO E10K, what is the best thing in games to select when you have say headphone, surround sound, home cinema. Or is it just a question of trying them out.

I just go for a flat EQ whenever I can. For me, messing with the EQ is to make up for a weakness in your equipment, or the source. If there’s a preset you prefer, then go for that, it all boils down to personal preference in the end.

There are those who know a lot more about this stuff than me, so they may be along shortly to tell me just how wrong I am :D

V F

V F

Soldato
I just go for a flat EQ whenever I can. For me, messing with the EQ is to make up for a weakness in your equipment, or the source. If there’s a preset you prefer, then go for that, it all boils down to personal preference in the end.

There are those who know a lot more about this stuff than me, so they may be along shortly to tell me just how wrong I am :D

Well, assuming the flat EQ preset really measures a flat graph? It can work but first one needs accurate measuring equipment (which can be costly) otherwise it's a pure guessing game.

As the other video above that Z Reviews explains between a casual gamer and a competitive.

Soldato
Well, assuming the flat EQ preset really measures a flat graph? It can work but first one needs accurate measuring equipment (which can be costly) otherwise it's a pure guessing game.

As the other video above that Z Reviews explains between a casual gamer and a competitive.

I have a ‘disable EQ’ so I use that.

Soldato
I now have Technica ATH-M40X & FiiO E10K, what is the best thing in games to select when you have say headphone, surround sound, home cinema. Or is it just a question of trying them out.
With the overall miserable state of game sounds and their position in priority list of game developers hard to say how well they work.
Not to mention usually lacking proper documentation of features.

Anyway speaker stereo mix sucks with headphones for gaming.
We hear in 3D with two ears, because shape of head causes direction dependant changes to signal received by both ears from sound source.
Brain simply decodes position of sound source from those binaural cues.
And without them there's only very artificial "sound in either left or right ear, or in center of head" immersion, because brain simply doesn't know what else to do.

While waiting for proper HRTF is too much to expect, headphone setting should at least include some crossfeed to avoid that artificial sound in one ear feel.
Sound card instead of fashion single purpose DAC would have been capable to binaural sound from standard 5.1/7.1 speaker mix of any game.

Though headphones are other variable.
To work binaural cues need overall accurate reproduction and despite of marketing hyped name closed Audio-Technicas aren't known from that.
You can test it easily in first minute or two of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1_20T8x_OI
There should be good feel of sounds actually coming from various distances and farther than from next to ear.

Unnecessarily so. Listen to what you like best mate. In the world of high-end cans there’s always a danger that anal-retentive audiophiles will appear from the shadows to make things far more difficult than they need to be.
Modern audiophilism is really total subversion of Hifi as far as headphones go.
Which used to be actually about getting that accurate, neutral and transparent reproduction.
Now it's all about adding some distorded tube sound or some other fancy distortion, like "warm" sound.

Back
Top Bottom