AKG Q701 - Roughly £100 before duty

Caporegime
OP
You tried those HD600's out yet?

i'm too tired bud, i traveled like 100+ miles today

if the france game is boring I will do with the AUNE. on another note my rockets from ukraine arrived today and still to open the box they came in.

the package the HD600 come in is fantastic better than the X1. I opened it up took a picture and then put it all back yesterday.

I think i prefer the looks of the X1 i don't know i never took them out the box tbh. will need to have a proper look at them. i think i will prefer the looks of the q701 to the x1 though.

it's not about looks, the sound is what matters.

Caporegime
OP
It will reach it's lowest price hopefully, it's already nearly there. Even if it doesn't the difference currently is only $10 which is like £6.

Is it really worth only committing to the lowest price to be tight about £5 when it costs £215-£300 in the UK and your saving well over £100?

Caporegime
OP
There's some talk online about the newer Q701's being made in China rather than Austria - any thoughts on this?

It would certainly explain the lower asking price :)

Everything is made in china these days. Has nothing to do with it tbh. In fact your better off buying the stuff from china as you usually get better or similar quality for a fraction of the price.

TOPPING NX1 = £20 and it beats £60 Fiio E11

Has absolutely nothing to do with being tight.

Has reached the low price now anyway. Now we just have to play the waiting game.

Point was it would be stupid to miss out on such a bargain if you really wanted them for the sake of £5 when your already saving £100-£200 just because that's the price the initial buyers paid. I would have just bought one instead of committing to the lowest price. If enough people didn't join you would have missed out yet again.

I would have happily paid £5 more for them.

Caporegime
OP
Just no. In terms of size, fractionally; in terms of portability, marginally; in terms of audio, nope; in terms of current reliability, nope; in terms of sound, nope; in terms of build quality and product finish, nope.

This a great deal, now then:

Come on... step up!

"It is evident to me that NX1 is very good value for its performance. Its at least on par with the C&C BH with everything off except high gain. It represents a more balanced sound signature which i believe is what some people are looking for.

The sound field enhancer and the low frequency boost in the C&C BH works as advertised and when these are activated of course it leave the NX1 behind but is it really worth the extra $100? I leave it up to you."

"Lessons learnt for me: The way the song was recorded/mastered really does matter. The live recorded albums really does test the soundstage qualities of a headphone. Amps can actually make some headphones excel if it synergises well with it. Using different types of headphones (a least closed back and open back examples in this case) affect aspects of the song when listening to different amps. I Cannot say which one I enjoyed more. As you can see above, the NX1 seemed to pair well with the UE9000 because it catered to its abilities quite well in which it could reproduce deeper base. Closed back headphones have inherent soundstaging shortcomings but since the NX1 had a wider soundstage this helped to alleviate that problem somewhat.

The E11 paired well with the X1. Its was already open backed to soundstage wouldn't be a problem. Now the NX1 with its wider soundstage, all it did was make the elements seem further apart and less focused and less distinct. Like the sound mode went to 'HALL" for me instead of "STAGE" or "STUDIO. The E11 helped to make the X1 sound more focused and thus I think it synergises well. It now seems to me that one mans trash is another ones treasure! (in terms of amp sound characteristics) one helped the other excel in one aspect, but was actually not good when applied to the other headphone."

http://www.head-fi.org/t/696825/topping-nx1-portable-headphone-amplifier-impressions-thread/270

multiple reviews all stating the topping NX1 is better than the E11 in there

"I like to share some photos I took while un-boxing along with my initial impressions (before burn-in, impressions after 1-2 hours of listening):

To my ears better than Fiio E11. No questions here for me.

Better clarity. Slightly wider soundstage. Good layering.

These 3 factors as well as no coloration to the sound are what I mainly look in an amp."

"Sound
This amp most definitely needs a burn in minimum of 1 hour before it starts to sound good. Either that, or my ears needed to adjust to it. It first sounds a bit rough in the highs and floppy in the lows, but after that the lows tighten up and the highs become much smoother. Once you get that out of the way you can actually get to know the amp and it's very transparent. So transparent that I could actually hear the background of the effects of some of RUFUS's samples. High's and lows are very forward and the mid's are not recessed but what it seems like is is that the signature is a tiny bit V shaped, not a lot, maybe 2-3db on both ends. Switching the gain to low setting feels like the frequency response is flattened out but become a little boring. All-in-all the NX1 is a pretty fun amp.

Soundstage
The sound stage is good. It makes it maybe 10% wider than originally. But it suffers a bit from the highs and lows being a bit forward and some of the percussive elements which are put behind you are drowned out. You can hear them, but only if you listen for them specifically. But you cannot hear them at all without an amp. I picked this up by doing an A-B comparison with my Fiio E17 (using only the AUX in, EQ off, 6db gain setting). With the E17 the staging is noticeably wider but the sound signatures a worlds apart, E17 being warm and fun and the NX1 being cold and clear."

"The Review:

Sound
This little amp is definitely punching above it's weight class, literally. It sounds pretty transparent. Not cold or warm, but truly neutral. The boosted highs and lows gives it a fun and punchy signature with crisp and somewhat airy highs. I wish I could say more about the highs but my ears cannot hear above 15kHz, so my description of highs is mid highs only. This amp greatly compliments other flattish cans but can be a bit too much when paired with dark or bright cans.
Mids are good and clear, and even with the boosted highs and lows they don't feel like they're pushed away.

I love it when you can hear imperfections and background noise from recordings. Some say that this is from bad mastering but I think it makes the recording unique. This amp definitely picks these up and this give me a huge smile on my face.

Comparing it to the E11 which would be it's direct competitor. This comparison is not even close. The E11 has a dark signature, bloated bass and crunchy highs. Listening to Mariah Carey sounds like she's got a sore throat. The NX1 wins in every aspect by a large margin.

Soundstage
The sound stage is just "WOW!". On the Takstar Pro 80s the sound stage is wide and deep, this is the same with the DT770 Pro 250Ohm. But even more surprising is using it with the Senns HD650, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. The soundstage goes deeper than normal and somewhat sounds unnatural but truly spectacular. This amp compliments open headphones with lots of imaging more than anything.

EMI
Most of the time this is not a problem, but when paired together with a mobile phone you get intermittent buzzing and short static comes on randomly. This is definitely not a deal breaker.

Background
This thing is dead silent when turned all the way up.

Power
As you might have noticed that I mentioned the Beyer DT770 Pro and the Senns HD650. Yes! It can power these somewhat hard to drive cans. The bass is not very controlled though. But it sounds very nice. Two thumbs up from me in terms of power.

Battery
Topping states that it has a working time of 100 hours under one charge. I charged it to full on the first day because it died pretty much in the first 10 minutes of me using it because someone didn't charge it before posting it. Not pointing fingers at no one... :D But after the full charge it has been working this whole time. It's kind of hard to track usage but because it is a class A amplifier, it should be constantly draining energy when on. Battery is good!

Final Words
This amp impressed me, A LOT. Its size, its power, its signature and its soundstage are outstanding for a $100 portable amplifier, but for ~$40 it's an absolute steal. It just feels like someone forgot to carry a 1 when calculating its cost. It's not without faults, but for the price, who cares!

At the final 3 days of my having it, I didn't use it until today to refresh my memory. The only reason for that is because my E17 has a DAC which makes the sound a lot clearer and the bass more controlled. But this should not take anything away from the NX1. The E17 is $140, $100 more than it.

If you are on a strict budget of under $100 then the NX1 is definitely the way to go. You can pair it with a decent DAC for $60 like the SMSL M2 or the Stoner Acoustic UD110 (if you can find a way to get one) and Bob's your uncle!"

Caporegime
OP
Upgrading cables improves sound quality marginally at best.

Your talking as little as 1% improvement and possibly as much as 5% in extreme cases.

If the cable costs <5% of the headphones it's worth buying e.g. cables for the fidelio x1 cost like £3 (monoprice and kenable) therefore they are worth buying.

if you can get a better cable than stock for say £15 (5% of £300 RRP) which I seriously doubt you can, then it would be worthwhile IMO. If you can't just don't bother wasting your time or money as it would be better spent on improving your source or amp, or the type of media you use, etc.

i've just noticed the cables your on about they are about the £15 mark so it may be worth looking into them, they seem to be priced right on the threshold

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
after reading so many forum posts on these it seems people swap out the cable on these for one of only two reasons, the first is length and the second is colour, I haven't read of any one questioning the quality so it isn't really a need to do job.

Lime green on the way to me so may be Austrian given it is less popular.

yeah i looked and the cables that you get are very long, one is 10 foot the other is 20 foot iirc.

i only need like a 1.5M cable for when I'm gaming but the longer ones will come in handy for music/movies.

Caporegime
OP
Caved and ordered a custom van damme 2m cable from the bay. Pretty sure my HD555's have a 3m one which is always getting caught in chair wheels so 2m should be perfect.

the pics of the cable on the bay are terrible

when it arrives could you please post some pics? what colour did you go for?

i know it's just a cable but i quite like the look of the stock cable tbh i may just live it being 10 foot for now and buy a smaller one if i feel it's being a nuisance.

Caporegime
OP
Mine are on the way!

The email last night said the euro shipment to them was delayed but the US shipment arrived although mostly white and lime. Guess my one is the shipment that wasn't EU sourced :)

Mine must be EU sourced then, hopefully made in Austria but apparently it makes zero difference these days quality control in their chinese factory will be even higher than their austrian one I imagine.

A lot of high quality gear being made in china these days, with even more cheap knock offs too.

Caporegime
OP
I would say it was a special one off deal. They must be making a new range or making their range smaller or just making the Q701 EOL. The price it was being sold at and the fact that the majority were shipped from Europe to USA is what makes me think this.

Looking at the other AKG deals on there they are nowhere near as good.

I seriously doubt you see that price again unless it's in their August bazaar with limited stock to the pieces which were returned to sender.

Chances of grabbing one of them is nil

Caporegime
OP
oh lawd..................

I have a Vali too but no RCA cables, going to use my Aune T1 as my main source for it.

That setup looks so clean and amazing, absolutely beautiful. If only the modi didn't rely on USB for power. Will you buy the USB decrapifyer too in future?

It takes a couple of weeks from the shipment date (you should get an email when it's actually shipped).

Caporegime
OP
Haha, I've already spent way too much on all this stuff... massively over budget :p

I'm hoping I won't run into any USB problems - the USB "decrappifier" thing seemed like a bit of a gimmick tbh?

Doesn't the T1 do the job of both the Modi & Vali combined? Is there any benefit of running it through the Vali?

Yup the AUNE T1 is a DAC/AMP.

I will be using the DAC only part though and using the Vali as an AMP.

It's a tube DAC with a solid state amp, the Vali is a tube amp, so I can always flick between the two depending on taste tbh. Plus the AUNE uses a clean USB signal (seperate power source) so that's why I opted for that as my original DAC/AMP setup.

Plus I bought the Vali to double amp my mixamp so I can use Q701's with my PS4 without issues.

Caporegime
OP
They got more than they estimated or something so put the same deal on.
They also stated it's likely the last time you will see them for that price.

It was very limited numbers, nothing like the first drop

Caporegime
OP
that is why these headphones are regarded as one of the best for COMPETITIVE gaming, where bass can be a distraction or drown out footsteps.

combined with the wide soundstage and quality, they are easily in the top tier for gaming.

if you don't plan on using them for competitive gaming or you don't take your gaming that seriously then do the mod. i bought mine for gaming so I'm keeping them stock. I have HD600's for music.

Back
Top Bottom