• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Soldato
I mean not to mention price of DDR5 as well, it really needs to be something mind blowing good for anyone to fork out for a new board, ram and cpu and maybe even a cooler if the socket size is different too. I've not read much into it yet so im making some assumptions here.

Soldato
If, and thats a big 'if', i get the itch (here we go again ;)) what could i get on MM for Z490 Meg Unify/10850K/32GB Ram? Also, can someone talk me down please as it looks a proper pricey upgrade, ta :)

Soldato
If, and thats a big 'if', i get the itch (here we go again ;)) what could i get on MM for Z490 Meg Unify/10850K/32GB Ram? Also, can someone talk me down please as it looks a proper pricey upgrade, ta :)

Pulling numbers out of thin air here but say £600-£650 top end? Depends on speed of the ram, latencies etc.

I wouldn't though if i was in your shoes. I would personally wait for DDR5 to mature and come down in price before taking the leap. If it's gonna be anything like DDR4 was, its gonna be stupendously expensive for DDR5.

Maybe look at upgrading to the back end of 2022 instead and see what the next iteration of cpu's bring from both sides.

Soldato
Pulling numbers out of thin air here but say £600-£650 top end? Depends on speed of the ram, latencies etc.

I wouldn't though if i was in your shoes. I would personally wait for DDR5 to mature and come down in price before taking the leap. If it's gonna be anything like DDR4 was, its gonna be stupendously expensive for DDR5.

Maybe look at upgrading to the back end of 2022 instead and see what the next iteration of cpu's bring from both sides.
Thanks. Yes 2022 does make more sense, particularly if a pcie 4.0 4080 adds to the bill :)

Caporegime
The way things are going it seems to me that they are heading for 4 figures

To me PCIE 5.0 seems more like a marketing gimmick to sell Alder Lake. Can not think of a device that needs it at the moment.

Probably due to Intel being so far behind on PCI-E 4 they've gone all out to be first this time round.

Associate
Totally agree. The same with PCIe 4.0 and AMD at the time. However, it is good to have for the future. I certainly wouldn’t recommend upgrading just for that though.

To me PCI-E 4.0 is a good thing since it allows for more bandwidth to chipset an allows for faster nvme drives. It is of course good to have PCI-E 5.0 but it is strange to me since we haven't reached the limits of PCI-E 4.0 yet.

Probably due to Intel being so far behind on PCI-E 4 they've gone all out to be first this time round.

If I remember it correctly Intel had PCI-E 3.0 x8 lanes from processor to the chipset in Z590 instead of PCI-E 4.0 x 4 lanes. Hopefully with PCI-E 5.0 they will give more bandwidth to the chipset.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I mean not to mention price of DDR5 as well, it really needs to be something mind blowing good for anyone to fork out for a new board, ram and cpu and maybe even a cooler if the socket size is different too. I've not read much into it yet so im making some assumptions here.

The DDR5 is going to cost nearly the same as a new alder lake cpu

So I fully expect to have to pay about $500usd for good DDR5 ram

Associate
Totally agree. The same with PCIe 4.0 and AMD at the time. However, it is good to have for the future. I certainly wouldn’t recommend upgrading just for that though.
People always talk graphics when mentioning PCIE3/4 and 5 but for me it has to be NVME speeds that really sell it
That is probably because before NVME came into place the graphic cards were the most popular devices to use that much bandwidth. But with newest peripheries that seems to change and we need more bandwidth to the chipset as well.

Soldato
OP
To me PCI-E 4.0 is a good thing since it allows for more bandwidth to chipset an allows for faster nvme drives. It is of course good to have PCI-E 5.0 but it is strange to me since we haven't reached the limits of PCI-E 4.0 yet.

If I remember it correctly Intel had PCI-E 3.0 x8 lanes from processor to the chipset in Z590 instead of PCI-E 4.0 x 4 lanes. Hopefully with PCI-E 5.0 they will give more bandwidth to the chipset.

I too struggle to think why we even need pcie 5. Our SSD's are only currently running at 4x4, so pcie4 still has room to support SSD's that are 4 times faster if the chipset and mobo provides it. As for GPUs, we're only just seeing GPUs use slightly more than 4x8 so we still have nearly double bandwidth available for faster GPUs

So do we need pcie5? Not really

Then why does it exist?

the only thing I can think of is that maybe it's more efficient and I hope it actually is. Chipsets now draw more power and run hotter due to pcie4

Associate
Are the high leaked prices a sign of Intel's confidence (but then arguably Intel have had plenty of confidence in the last few years even when they shouldn't have had)?

Or like with i9-11900K after they just trying it on? After all, AMD's FX 9350 was very expensive without any justification.

As for the performances of DDR4 and DDR5, will Intel's reviewer guide concentrate on DDR5 just to top benchmark charts and will reviewers follows that script?

Soldato
I can see some uses for PCI-E 5 and DDR5, just non are that useful for a desktop. Maybe you make a cut down CPU and motherboard with a minimal amount of lanes. 4 lanes split between PCI-E slots and a pair for peripherals maybe.

Or 4x4 lanes for some Quad SLI DX9 goodness.

Associate
Are the high leaked prices a sign of Intel's confidence (but then arguably Intel have had plenty of confidence in the last few years even when they shouldn't have had)?

Or like with i9-11900K after they just trying it on? After all, AMD's FX 9350 was very expensive without any justification.

As for the performances of DDR4 and DDR5, will Intel's reviewer guide concentrate on DDR5 just to top benchmark charts and will reviewers follows that script?

Well they have seen that market buys increased price 11th series. Why not up the prices then?

Soldato

They are just following AMD on pricing for the 12 and 16 core chips while the 10 core 12600k looks pretty good for £300 considering people were happy to pay that for the 6 core 5600X.

I'm sure some reviewers will test DDR4 performance also but this will likely come on the more budget orientated locked boards so will be more appropriate for the non K Sku's.

I can see some uses for PCI-E 5 and DDR5, just non are that useful for a desktop. Maybe you make a cut down CPU and motherboard with a minimal amount of lanes. 4 lanes split between PCI-E slots and a pair for peripherals maybe.

Or 4x4 lanes for some Quad SLI DX9 goodness.
An add on card for a couple more nvme's would be quite useful while also maintaining full bandwidth for the GPU.

Soldato
They are just following AMD on pricing for the 12 and 16 core chips while the 10 core 12600k looks pretty good for £300 considering people were happy to pay that for the 6 core 5600X.

I'm sure some reviewers will test DDR4 performance also but this will likely come on the more budget orientated locked boards so will be more appropriate for the non K Sku's.

An add on card for a couple more nvme's would be quite useful while also maintaining full bandwidth for the GPU.

You get that with half decent X570 boards.

Back
Top Bottom