• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Soldato
Your still limited with the onboard M.2 as few boards have more than 2 and only the higher priced boards have 3+

You get what you pay for. Buy a low end board get low end features. It’s kind of how things work. A £250 board is better than a £150. Shock and horror.

Soldato
You get what you pay for. Buy a low end board get low end features. It’s kind of how things work. A £250 board is better than a £150. Shock and horror.
Still you can't really run more than 3 at gen 4.0 speed without compromising the GPU so being able to split gen 5.0 to give you the option of running 4 gen 4.0 drives + whatever m.2 slots the board comes with may appeal to people who want lots of fast storage.

Soldato
Still you can really run more than 3 at gen 4.0 speed without compromising the GPU so being able to split gen 5.0 to give you the option of running 4 gen 4.0 drives + whatever m.2 slots the board comes with may appeal to people who want lots of fast storage.

I’ve not looked at every board. The Gigabyte X570S Aero can do NVME across 4 drives. I’m not sure what you would want to do with that setup though, but fill your boots.

My ancient X370 ASRock board could do RAID over 10 SATA SSD’s. That would be very fast and flexible.

PCI-E 5 will be pretty much irrelevant, until peripherals are available.

Associate
If PCI-E 5.0 goes to chipset we can have more devices in use without being limited by the bandwidth. In my mind this will be the best variant to use PCI-E 5.0 at the moment. But that will come with a pricetag.

Last edited:
Soldato
If PCI-E 5.0 goes to chipset we can have more devices in use without being limited by the bandwidth. In my mind this will be the best variant to use PCI-E 5.0 at the moment. But that will come with a pricetag.

But we can do the same with PCI-E 4 or PCI-E 3
Its just a case of lanes.

Associate
But we can do the same with PCI-E 4 or PCI-E 3
Its just a case of lanes.
Well, if I remember correctly Intel is currently having a CPU-chipset at PCI-E 3.0 in the top tier Z590 and they only increased the number of lanes from 4 in Z490 to 8 in Z590. But that will probably limit running a nvme connected via chipset at PCI-E 3.0.That could be resolved with PCI-E 5.0 link.

NVMe storage would eat PCIe 5 alive if it could.

Such a shame then that Alder Lake won't support PCIe 5 storage, the only use case that justifies its existence on the desktop.

I will be happy if they increase bandwith to chipset to PCI-E 5.0 so that you can run 2 nvmes in raid at PCI-E 4.0 speeds.

Last edited:
Associate
I can see it being very expensive to upgrade if you include PCIe 5.0 and DDR5, especially at the early adopters prices. When you factor in the cost of the CPU and a new motherboard…..ouch. But people will pay the premium.

I will wait to see how AMD respond, and for DDR5 to settle. The PCIe thing isn’t a big deal to me.

If Intel implements Thunderbolt /or USB 4.0/ that will probably also add to the prices of motherboards. Plus new socket for processor may add up. I am not optimistic for the prices at all.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m still in two when looking at PCI-E 3 and 4 drives. I’d still lean towards a higher capacity over speed usually. Definitely for home gemers.

Within my home network, I have 5-10Gb/s
To the outside world 1Gb/s sequential so to leverage gen5 drives I would need a full network upgrade and a 20x internet connection.

Soldato
Considering the prices of PCI-E 4.0 videocards and nvmes it seems to me that it may be a long wait.

The sever market will first have to drive manufacturing and then the tech can trickle down to consumer prices. That isn’t going to happen until EPYC.

Associate
I’m still in two when looking at PCI-E 3 and 4 drives. I’d still lean towards a higher capacity over speed usually. Definitely for home gemers.

Within my home network, I have 5-10Gb/s
To the outside world 1Gb/s sequential so to leverage gen5 drives I would need a full network upgrade and a 20x internet connection.
Some of those nvmes PCI-E 4.0 do not even approach the limits of PCI-E 4.0 speeds. It seems to me that 6th series chipset will be connected to for Alder lake via PCI-E 4.0 /or similar/ which if realised could potentially allow for a second PCI-E 4.0 nvme through chipset but there is no guarantee until it is released. Current prices give a good incentive for nvme 3.0 even though they may fall behind a bit in speed.

Back
Top Bottom