• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I think the i9 12900K will be the upgrade path I take later this year more likely new year. First CPU upgrade since getting the 6700K around 2014 lol. Will need a new mobo too but will just get a similarly specced Gigabyte that will take that chip as my current Z170X Gaming-5 as this board really is well specced and stable for what I need.

Really looking forward to this, from 4 cores to 16 powerhouse cores in one swoop :D

Also read this: https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/early-in...uld-take-the-fight-to-the-heart-of-amd-ryzen/

I was considering a GPU upgrade but the CPU makes way more sense and the 2070 Super will get a new lease of freedom too with the latest CPU. I game very little now, 90% of my heavy usage is in Lightroom and Photoshop editing RAW images and rendering video compilations of my shoots, so the beefier the CPU without being OTT cost-wise the better.

Soldato
I think the i9 12900K will be the upgrade path I take later this year more likely new year. First CPU upgrade since getting the 6700K around 2014 lol. Will need a new mobo too but will just get a similarly specced Gigabyte that will take that chip as my current Z170X Gaming-5 as this board really is well specced and stable for what I need.

Really looking forward to this, from 4 cores to 16 powerhouse cores in one swoop :D

Also read this: https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/early-in...uld-take-the-fight-to-the-heart-of-amd-ryzen/

I was considering a GPU upgrade but the CPU makes way more sense and the 2070 Super will get a new lease of freedom too with the latest CPU.

Well it’s 8x 5ghz cores and 8x 3.7ghz atom cores.

Would interesting to see a 2x8 3.7ghz low power option. That could tempt me to consider a non AM4 platform.

Associate
Too lazy to dig up leaks from Zen3 anticipation thread. But getting same sort of deja vu. Zen3 was demolishing Intel in Cinebench and Ashes.

Ashes is atypical game benchmark, it will eat up all the threads you give it.

For Zen3 it did work out to an excellent performance in games.
Still waiting for AlderLake to show that. RocketLake pretty much flopped in games, big cores are related to that architecture.

Soldato
39% faster than a 5950x and thats alderlake using 8 good cores and 8 crappy ones. either some serious ipc uplift or 6ghz all core clock managed.

still dont know how they load balance between big and small cores. seen plenty of big little on arm android devices but those seem to only run one cluster at a time. big or small not both together.

Associate
From https://elchapuzasinformatico.com/2...2000p-en-geekbench-al-desactivar-los-e-cores/
i9 12900K vs i9 11900K Geekbench 5
ST : 205x (+10%)
> FP : 21xx (+12.3%)
> INT : 17xx (+6%)

i9 11900K
ST : 1853
> FP : 1860
> INT 1600

Benchmark is under E-Core is disabled.
Not that revolutionary gain if you look at only fast cores.

Also troubling that disabling E-cores could be necessary to achieve peak performance. Intel doesn't have good track record with HT hurting perf in some use cases. Now there is another layer to deal with.

Soldato
From https://elchapuzasinformatico.com/2...2000p-en-geekbench-al-desactivar-los-e-cores/

Not that revolutionary gain if you look at only fast cores.

Also troubling that disabling E-cores could be necessary to achieve peak performance. Intel doesn't have good track record with HT hurting perf in some use cases. Now there is another layer to deal with.

When watching the showcase and reading between the lines how big little work levels would be sorted, I felt Intel’s solution was multiple layers of hyper threading.

If Intel have managed to get 6-12% gains over the equivalent 11900 then clearly the reason Intel haven’t gone all out on 16 cores is power use/inter core connections. So as expected it look like Intel’s core technology issues remain and it will be Nove Lake that resolves those.

Pre order the i11 17900K people. You heard it here first.

Soldato
In the run up to a new CPU release, seeing words like destroys/destroying is always a bit hilarious.

Let's face it, Alder Lake should be faster than Zen3, and it probably will be. It's not going to change lives though, and the hype train is always a place of failure.

Edit: Let's not forget the comedy run up to 11th gen desktop.

Associate
In the run up to a new CPU release, seeing words like destroys/destroying is always a bit hilarious.

Let's face it, Alder Lake should be faster than Zen3, and it probably will be. It's not going to change lives though, and the hype train is always a place of failure.

Edit: Let's not forget the comedy run up to 11th gen desktop.

Hey, in hardware circles beating another *something* by 1% is a huge win, 2% is destroying, 3% is kill the other company, etc. :p

Hyperbole all the way!

Soldato
12900k Cinebench R23 leak, tested on a z690 gigabyte Aorus Ultra board with quad channel DDR5 memory at 5200mhz CL38

scores 30,500 points @ 5.3ghz all core, my 5950x gets the same with a 4.7ghz all core OC

https://mobile.twitter.com/hw_reveal/status/1438492746847715328?s=20

I really hope these Golden Cove cores are as good as they're coming across, Intel will be onto a winner for a while if 8c/16t Golden Cove cores and 8c/8t less-than-Skylake cores can match 16c/32t of vanilla Zen 3. It's almost irrelevant that Zen 3D will trump this again, it's a damn good showing from Intel.

Disappointing that Intel still seem to have to overclock the tatts off their architecture and draw a bazillion watts to get there though. 8c/24t needs twice the power and 500MHz higher clocks to match 16c/32t in a synthetic workload.

Soldato
OP
I really hope these Golden Cove cores are as good as they're coming across, Intel will be onto a winner for a while if 8c/16t Golden Cove cores and 8c/8t less-than-Skylake cores can match 16c/32t of vanilla Zen 3. It's almost irrelevant that Zen 3D will trump this again, it's a damn good showing from Intel.

Disappointing that Intel still seem to have to overclock the tatts off their architecture and draw a bazillion watts to get there though. 8c/24t needs twice the power and 500MHz higher clocks to match 16c/32t in a synthetic workload.

It will still be another 2 or 3 years before Intel is ready with its brand new ground up architecture whos main goal is to return to efficient performance.

Soldato
Even if they're throwing efficiency out the window, I just like that it will hopefully get a bit of CPU war going on.

Hey, in hardware circles beating another *something* by 1% is a huge win, 2% is destroying, 3% is kill the other company, etc. :p

Hyperbole all the way!

Don't forget the classic "wipes the floor with it".

Soldato
It will still be another 2 or 3 years before Intel is ready with its brand new ground up architecture whos main goal is to return to efficient performance.
I'd like to see an Ivy bridge moment. Sandy Bridge showed up with massive performance gains, then Ivy Bridge slashed the power consumption in half. I don't see Raptor Lake doing that to Alder Lake though, and then Meteor Lake is something new again.

Back
Top Bottom