• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Caporegime
The problem its a leech with tons of money,and now the US government has handed Intel even more taxpayer funds for NatSec reasons as part of its innovation fund. You don't seem appreciate how much the US government considers Intel more important for NatSec reasons than its competitors. Intel has a ton of political sway in the US and the issue is the Taiwanese government hasn't got many political options against Intel applying pressure. Taiwan needs the US,and Intel is one of the big tech corps. Intel is also investing billions on the Continent too,which means again they are going to be buying a lot of new friends too.

The issue here is AMD,basically through not managing its own 7NM portfolio properly has handed Nvidia and Intel billions of USD in potential sales,when they got very lucky the US thumped Huawei,and AMD picked up more 7NM capacity than they expected. Huawei was booted off between 2019 and 2020,and AMD was apparently the recipient of a lot of this "bonus" capacity....which a fair amount was pushed towards consoles. Just look at the 10s of millions of consoles made - AMD didn't even make anywhere as many dGPUs in that period.

As much as some of you don't like it,Intel and Nvidia still make more than AMD does,with higher margins and still managed to sell more entry level/mainstream parts than AMD does.

AMD pushing up prices,is because they screwed themselves over with capacity overcommitting to consoles,so had no choice but to ignore whole sections of the market. They did the same during the Athlon 64 era,when they relaxed on 90NM(pushed back 65NM investment and the Phenom)when they were leagues ahead of the P4,and it gave Intel enough leeway to sneak back in with Core and Core2. AMD has to be very careful with Nvidia and Intel. If Intel could survive having its arse kicked between 2000 to 2007,and having stuff like the P4 which was dire,and ATI repeatedly matching Nvidia(but still getting nowhere),AMD needs to protect its core markets. These still provide the bread and butter.

I know this and i do realise it.

Look, those consoles are very important to Sony / MS, they are a significant revenue stream, if AMD don't make them who will? AMD's margins will be low on them which is why they hide it, even then both Sony and MS are selling them at cost if not a loss, and despite the low margins AMD are still willing to do it, that's playing nice with people.
To AMD that matters more in the long run than short term gain, its all part of the journey of getting taken seriously again, getting respect, and its starting to pay off, Nvidia spent a lot of years and energy running round Mobile phone people trying to get Tegra in and ended up making their own Tablet, but Samsung, the biggest prise of all went for AMD.

No AMD can't poke the government for billions in taxpayer handouts, get them to stop their rivals from competing, but they can stretch out a friendly hand to industry players because those people are the ones handing out contracts even when taxpayer grants run dry.

Soldato
I know this and i do realise it.

Look, those consoles are very important to Sony / MS, they are a significant revenue stream, if AMD don't make them who will? AMD's margins will be low on them which is why they hide it, even then both Sony and MS are selling them at cost if not a loss, and despite the low margins AMD are still willing to do it, that's playing nice with people.
To AMD that matters more in the long run that short term gain, its all part of the jurney of getting taken seriously again, getting respect, and its starting to pay off, Nvidia spent a lot of years and energy running round Mobile phone people trying to get Tegra in and ended up making their own Tablet, but Samsung, the biggest prise of all went for AMD.

No AMD can't poke the government for billions in taxpayer handouts, get them to stop their rivals from competing, but they can stretch out a friendly hand to industry players because those people are the ones handing out contracts even when taxpayer grants run dry.

I am frustrated because Zen3+RDNA2 is when AMD basically had both their CPUs and GPUs finally converge at the same point as a 1-2 sucker punch. Then before AMD could even benefit,the supply issues became their worse enemy,and Intel/Nvidia who also misstepped got a breather none of them deserve(especially after Nvidia did their Turing stunt). Plus when friends wanted systems,instead of a new shiny RDNA2 GPU,it usually ended up with a Nvidia one,because you couldn't find an AMD one.

What I also find really poor in the US is all this assistance targets certain firms. They really need to also help out smaller competitors too,because governments really need to keep innovation going too,as it benefits the taxpayer and the consumer too.

Caporegime
I am frustrated because Zen3+RDNA2 is when AMD basically had both their CPUs and GPUs finally converge at the same point as a 1-2 sucker punch. Then before AMD could even benefit,the supply issues became their worse enemy,and Intel/Nvidia who also misstepped got a breather none of them deserve(especially after Nvidia did their Turing stunt). Plus when friends wanted systems,instead of a new shiny RDNA2 GPU,it usually ended up with a Nvidia one,because you couldn't find an AMD one.

What I also find really poor in the US is all this assistance targets certain firms. They really need to also help out smaller competitors too,because governments really need to keep innovation going too,as it benefits the taxpayer and the consumer too.

Yeah, you're right AMD's inability to create as many chip as they need is an issue, and i do understand that if not for the consoles they would have been able to create more, but like i said its more than just about money in the short term.

AMD have been on at TSMC about capacity for a couple of years but its a huge investment and its up to AMD to prove the demand is there, Dr Lisa Sue is very bullish about supply in the next couple of years stating that capacity is increasing, greatly, i think TSMC can see the demand for it, i do think things will get better.

Associate
12700k benchmarks leak the same day Intel's CEO gave an interview where he stated "AMD has done well but now it's over for them, Intel is back"
With the sub-text of "and if we cannot do it with technology, we'll do what we did the last time I was at Intel: bribe OEMs to only take our newest P4s!"

He may have been the x486 chief architect (which was the first decent CPU Intel made after all the mess which was early x86 - however imagine that 386 real mode had had a decent amount of registers to begin with; to think the Motorola 68000 had 32 bit address and data registers since 1979), but he also deeply involved in Intel the bribe our poor products to success business too.

Associate
Apparently it sucks at gaming. If you run AVX5 based benches all day long then knock yourself out with AL.
We have very little information about gaming. And AVX512 is one thing Alder lake definitely can't do. You are thinking Rocket lake

Alderlake release some poeple are saying its just mobile chips first is this true ?
I believe just overclocking K series chips at first, mobile and cheap desktop next year

Associate
Consoles is about more than money, its about AMD appearing as a competent and reliable friend, its about showing they can be trusted and relied up on to make custom chips tailored to any potential customers needs.
And for that reason Microsoft went out of their way to make Zen look really good in Windows 11... or wait ! :p

Still, if Windows 11 helps Intel's AL-S and makes Zen3 look bad, Microsoft will get a better deal for the next console round?

(Assuming they are still in the console business - Sony really seems to be cleaning up this round.)

Caporegime
And for that reason Microsoft went out of their way to make Zen look really good in Windows 11... or wait ! :p

Still, if Windows 11 helps Intel's AL-S and makes Zen3 look bad, Microsoft will get a better deal for the next console round?

(Assuming they are still in the console business - Sony really seems to be cleaning up this round.)

I think its more like Nvidia sponsoring a game, the dev doesn't realise what's happened until after its released when it all goes to crap.

In any case apparently its already been fixed.

Caporegime
Shall be desktop.

We have all Alder Lake processors in stock ready for the upcoming launch. :)

Ultimately these days they are just chips designed for OEM devices and scaled up (IE clocked to the limits) for custom retail Desktops, i think this is what he is driving at and i don't think that's wrong, Desktop Ryzen are server chips again just clocked up.

There is no such thing as a Retail Desktop CPU by design.

Edit: Never mind :)

OcUK Staff
Are you doing the bundles Intel are offering with Z690 and DDR5?

We shall be selling parts separately, so no bundles people can just buy their own motherboard, DDR5 or DDR4 etc.
We may also offer bundles but its early days yet and the product does not go on sale for a while yet.

Back
Top Bottom